anyone else pinning the tribs this year

Author
centerpin_drift
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 205
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/21 11:16:17 (permalink)

anyone else pinning the tribs this year

Hi just wondering if anyone else was pinning the great tribs in Erie this year. I have been pinning alot but hardly ever see anyone else. I have been doing very well ! Was with my father on Monday on upper Elk and was spanking the fish. There where a few others catching a few here and there but not bragging the pin was putting a hurting on them. Alot of people ask me what there doing wrong,and what iam i doing differently, I honestly think it has to do with the length of my float stick it's 13ft 4 inches and fishes very nice. And i use one of the first SST raven vectrs that was made in Canada. NOT OVER SEAS,,, I have had my raven now for 5 years and never had any problem with it. Very nice start up very smooth. I love it. My buddy i fish with just bought a islander it's really nice reel. But i wouldn't trade my SST for anything....just my 2 cents  So be nice to hear where you other pinners are maybe we can make a trip too the tribs some time soon......hit me back thanks,,,,,,,centerpin_dude...

Get the Drift !!!!!

3 Replies Related Threads

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: anyone else pinning the tribs this year 2007/11/24 10:16:49 (permalink)
    Hey dude,

Don't fish the Erie tribs, but glad to hear you've been doing well. Been looking into pinning, which 13' 4" float rod do you have and how long have you had the rod ? I've looked at a few rods, seems like the rods that are a bit faster are better for hooksets at long distances. No ? Thanks in advance for your info.

Tightlines,

OldSalt
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: anyone else pinning the tribs this year 2007/11/24 10:54:56 (permalink)
    In PA, it's my opinion that the type of rod used isn't as important as the skill level of the angler holding it and what is on the business end of that setup.  I've seen guys fishing with all type of gear, spin,centerpin, and fly, that were struggling when the fishing was outstanding. On occasion it was the gear they were using, but 9 times out of 10 it was how they were using it, not what they were using.

Give me any of the 3 methods and I'll go out and catch plenty of fish.  Although once it gets frigid out, I can't see the point in using a flyrod, things just ice up that much quicker with the thicker fly line.
    Hoss Man
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: anyone else pinning the tribs this year 2007/11/26 12:56:54 (permalink)
    Yeah me and my buddy hit lower legion with the pins on saturday. This is my first year with a pin always used a fly rod, but friends from western NY got me hooked. Anyway we slayed them on the pins we were lucky to have no one below us for like 60 yards so we  had nice long drifts. What a blast hookin fish 50 yards down stream on a drift. Guys that were down from us were just plain confused when we hooked fish that far down . One guy asked if we were Canadians got a good laugh. I Live in Pa but fish more in WNY than erie anymore, but that was a blast with the pins cant wait for the next trip on elk.
    Jump to: