sunday hunting question

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/08 18:14:45 (permalink)

sunday hunting question

being from ohio, and having been able to hunt on sundays, i am not sure i understand the opposition to sunday hunting in pa. all the years that i worked six days, it was nice to be able to sneak into the swamp or woods for a few hours on my day off. can anyone give me an idea about the reasons of those against it?

9 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: sunday hunting question 2011/07/08 18:42:11 (permalink)
    Two main points come to mind.

1.  Some folks think they know how you should spend your time better than you do.

2.  Then there are the ones who fundamentally agree with it, but afraid the PGC will just use it to further reduce the deer herd.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 01:01:49 (permalink)
    Hey we all have choices. If you don't like hunting on Sundays don't go. If you don't want people on your land on Sundays don't let them on.But if your kid has no ball practice on Sunday and wants to go hunting why should he be denied? It should be a choice not a restriction.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 07:51:54 (permalink)
    It should be a choice not a restriction.

I couldn't agree more.  I leave for work every morning at 6:30 and get home around 6:00.  Do this 5 days a week so weekends are all I have.  I get 15 days vacation and I use a lot of it for hunting.  Would be able to use more days off for other stuff if I had the choice to hunt Sundays.

While I don't have any kids yet, I do still remember what it was like.  Between the end fall sports season and wrestling practice, I was lucky to get out on 3-4 Saturdays.  Had to skip a day of school to get more than day of buck season.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 08:18:41 (permalink)
    I think alot of it is the noise factor. There are homes around the gamelands and other public property. It was on Erie's news that private land owners have threatened to post their property if Sunday hunting is implemented.

Having said that....I hope it gets passed.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 08:29:12 (permalink)
    Except for the first day and first Saturday of rifle deer season there is more shooting out in these parts on Sundays already.
    Mabee we should ban all target shooting on Sunday so no one gets skeered of the nasty hunters with guns..
    Really my bow isn't that loud.

I think many just fear change and want to keep the status quo.

Personally I very much dislike the idea that the hunters of this great state are being held hostage by the farm bureau and their threats to post their land...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 13:21:00 (permalink)
    Then there are the ones who fundamentally agree with it, but afraid the PGC will just use it to further reduce the deer herd.

Yep.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 14:40:19 (permalink)
    Like Bings said there is already lots of shooting on Sundays the way it is now. Making Sunday a legal day to hunt might put some of those shooters in the woods instead of burning up mags of ammo. Hunting is already legal on Sunday in Pa ,lets just add more species to the list so every one can enjoy.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 19:02:38 (permalink)
    I think that the farm bureau is full of it.if all of the deer that they say we have is causing as much damage as they say they are ,why in the world would they post thier land? I agree with a certain outdoor writer that stated that maybe hunters should charge farmers for pest control for taking deer & hogs off of thier property. I do know of a farmer around here that is always complaining about crop damage & yet will not let anyone on to hunt.I don't feel too sorry for him.If a farmer doesn't want hunting on Sunday,all he has to do is put up a sign. That way the farmers that really do have damage & want to let us hunt on Sunday can do what they want with THIER land.Also we hunters can do so on the land that we bought(state game lands). sam
    post edited by mr.crappie - 2011/07/10 08:48:47
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: Sunday hunting question 2011/07/09 19:11:12 (permalink)
    i think sunday hunting should be allowed. i go to school monday through friday. Saturday is usually a work day and sunday would be a great day for me to hunt. imo. Ed
    Jump to: