Presque Isle Tips

Author
Deadbolt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/03 01:00:24 (permalink)

Presque Isle Tips

I'll be fishing Presque Isle this upcoming week with some friends, 2 of whom are inexperienced anglers. Anyone have any tips on what's biting, or what to target? Not asking for spot burning here. I haven't been up there yet this year, not sure what to target.

We'll be fishing from shore, and are not afraid to wet wade, I'm sure well try for LM, SM, and the millions of other panfish species there.

I've always viewed PI as one of the nicest places to fish/visit in the US, and I'd love to show them why.

Also, my entire life, I've never caught a Northern Pike. I'm pretty sure they're a springtime fish, so it may be too late. But any tips ya'll could give me for that too would be awesome.

thanks in advance, (and yes, I'm the old Deadbolt401, I may have forgotten the password to that account) 

12 Replies Related Threads

jbrian96
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/03 01:17:27 (permalink)
    Im a shore fisherman as well, and fish at the peninsula a few times a week and i like to hit up the lagoons and throw some topwater frogs and just some texas rigs. Thats prolly my favorite spot, but check out the piers to.  I like to throw tubes and ive recently had a lot of luck throwing weightless wacky rigged senkos.  I pretty much just target bass, idk about perch so much.  You could prolly go out on the edward john, its a perch charter.  Also be patient, its seems like the fishing has been very slow this yr.  
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/03 09:34:45 (permalink)
    Deadbolt....This is jmo, but bay fishing has been WAY off this year. I've all but given up. Last year this time I was breakin' jaws for breakfast and dinner, this year I can hardly buy a fish. Not trying to discourage you, just keep this in mind as you enjoy PI.

I would also be cautious wet wading, PIB does have leeches in it.

My hottest spot has been the head of the bay for LM, it's weedy...but weightless rubber worms are working.

Good luck...enjoy the park.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/03 13:54:42 (permalink)
    Watch out for the beavers too, right Slick?

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/04 11:15:57 (permalink)
    I will agree with the above statements by Slick ,jb96 and Topdog that fishing weedless,weightless worms is the ticket for bass right now. Top water should be another way you should think about this time of year as well.

Wet wading.....Not A Good Idea ...as mentioned above because of leaches mainly. I came out with a couple attached a few years ago and never wet waded the bay since then. I have seen very small ones attached to fish this year.

Good luck and enjoy....

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/04 12:06:33 (permalink)
    Welp, looks like I'll be staying out of the water for the most part.

thanks for the tips gents, I'll be going topwater I guess, don't really know how to fish a weedless worm. Think the fly rod could work? I may take one with me.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/04 12:33:22 (permalink)
    Yes , I would think top water poppers on the fly would work good if your going to bring it. Larger ones for bass and small ones for all the pan fish catching you could want.

Weedless worm , use a 1/0 hook , 6 inch worm(take 5 differ colors to see what works best,they may key on a specific color) only hook 1/4 inch through the front tip of worm and push through and then push up to eye of the hook , rotate the worm on the hook 180 degrees , then push the body of the worm forward about 3/4 to 1 inch and then slide the worm through the hook ,as you push it back though only expose the hook point. If I have a pic I will post very shortly to give a visual.

Not the best pic but you can see the hook and how its positioned in the worm.

Hope this helps , give it a try. And throw it in the grass and weeds. Since its weedless and weightless you wont snag up and will feel the bite just fine.

post edited by deetz4352 - 2011/07/04 12:39:49

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/04 16:40:48 (permalink)
    Do you always get worms with a tail like that?

What kinda motion would you recommend retrieving them? Fast, slow? Twitch the rod tip?

:D
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/04 20:30:50 (permalink)
    reel slow, stop, couple twitches, reel the slack up, few more twitches. somethin like that.
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/05 10:43:08 (permalink)
    you cant go wrong fishing the channel.  every time i am motoring out to or back from the lake, i see bent rods all along the pier.
    BehrendFisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/05 12:53:48 (permalink)
    Took they yak out on the bay this morning. Picked up 3 and missed a few more on rubber worms. All the hits were on the initial drop of the worm, nothing was picked up from twitching/retrieving the worm.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/05 13:12:16 (permalink)
    Liberty park isn't bad either a lot of marinas hold a lot of fish. Also, I wet wade myself and have never had a problem with leeches however, I normally use caution and use old soccer socks you can find for a few $$$ to take the chance of getting leeches on you. The head of the bay is a great spot for wading doesn't get more then a few feet deep. If you have one bring a fly rod and try stripping streamers A LOT of gar in this part of the bay they are a lot of fun to catch and ancient looking creatures. I like walking back in the weeds and pitching small tipped jigs that are 1/4 ounce which bring out some of the larger bass but predominately throw smaller worms if your looking for numbers. Also try just up the road at the stink hole somedays fishing is good throw some small spinners and spoons as slow as you can. You never know what type of fish there are in that area just watch your step because there are some drop-offs. Hope this helps!
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    RE: Presque Isle Tips 2011/07/07 13:54:44 (permalink)
    Tried some worms yesterday at a local pond, caught a few fish, but had trouble setting hooks. Maybe they were too small to get the hook in their mouths.

fun technique, I'll be looking forward to erie this weekend.
    Jump to: