Antis

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/19 20:56:46 (permalink)

Antis

Well guys its summer now and not much going on for the most part in the Hunting arena- But get ready, as usual next season IT will begin for many of us with the overt or somewhat more polite and sneaky SUB verted anti  agenda.
   Last season here where I live a couple of legal hunters with permission of the owner and all proper state licenses and Federal Stamps  were heard shooting at a Goose one AM on a local pond that has been hunted for years.
    IT started with phone calls-E mails and  letters to the editor as well as contacts to all of us local politicos, of which I am one-by a local 'conservationist' who upon hearing the shots publicly  pondered death of Eagles and hikers etc etc-- Turns out I was the only one supporting the Hunters and as is usual here in UBURBIA the area is now closed to hunting.
This is a OP-ED I sent to the local paper during the fracas--

I have read stories and complaints about Hunting in ******** with great interest. First I advise that I am a lifetime Hunter. I have been a Scoutmaster, Hiker, Camper, Fisherman and Hunter for many years. It is in my nature to be in the great outdoors whenever possible.
    Hunting season has opened each Fall for longer that I have been alive (and I'm old) but always seems to generate complaints from folks doing other outdoor activities. The complaints are similar from place to place and from year to year. Someone hears a shot while outdoors and complains about  'what ifs'.  What if I got shot ?--what if my dog got shot ?--what if an endangered species got shot ?--what if someone on a bike got shot ?,-- ETC ETC.  The Hunter is therefore inferred to be somewhat incompetent running around the woods causing fear and likely shooting in an unsafe manner.
   Shortly thereafter folks get involved and start to give their opinions and take sides on the "issue'.
    Frankly, it isn't an issue at all. It is a legal well controlled State licensed Sport wherein the participant is on regulated State Lands or private properties carrying written permission from the landowner.
     It is not uncommon for Hunters to be approached on private properties by hikers or others questioning their Hunting. I have had folks walk up to me and be outright rude and nasty. It is the Hunter who has permission to be where he or she is and most generally NOT the hiker or dog walker or whatever those trespassers happen to be there for. If they REALLY feared us they would not approach us in the first place. But they regularly do so.
    In regard to the all too common 'what ifs I did  bit  of computer searching and came up with the following stats---In 2009 there were no Hunting related fatalities in our State--Thus far in 2010 there have been two fatal lightning strikes in our state--The Coast Guard reports that New England was "down to" only 50 boating fatalities for 2009--In the US there were 32 fatal dog attacks in 2009--the US suffered 770 fatal bicycle accidents in 2006--and we need not even look at the stats on Scholastic Sports, vehicular fatalities or illegal drugs. Clearly if one really wanted to preserve life or stop a dangerous activity there are far more prevalant things to become vocal about.
      One must therefore wonder if some complaints are generated from folks who are 'anti hunters' to begin with. That is a political issue issue and the Fall is a quite visible time to consistently bring it up. Oh yes, they all say "I'm not against hunting, but"--but they always seem to want it to be limited or abolished.
  We all live here together and have to learn to accomdate each other to some degree. It is not in the general best interest for some to want things changed to their way--or the highway. 
     Hunting happens each year in every State in the Country--get over it...
post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/19 21:09:45

2 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Antis 2011/06/23 13:56:54 (permalink)
       If ya wanna see how out of hand things are with these people go to today's (June 23) CNN news blog and read about the 4H Club turning children into cold unfeeling animal killers.
         You GOTTA be kidding. These anti people are 'out there'.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Antis 2011/06/23 15:27:12 (permalink)
    When they mess with me i tell them there is a place for all Gods critter's
    Right next to the potato's gravy,and your place will be tied to that tree if you bang on that pot one more time!!!!!!!
    Jump to: