fishing with boards

Author
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/18 19:31:56 (permalink)

fishing with boards

do you guys use dipseys on big boards if you are running lures or do you just let out enough line to get down. i am new being the one to call the shots on a boat. usually i just reel them in, but since i got my own boat i am trying to figure all of this out. i sure wish i would have paid more attention

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING

16 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/18 21:43:44 (permalink)
    I use deep diving Reef Runners And Rapala Deep Diving taildancers. If I want to get deeper I use snap weights 25 ft. in front of the lure. You can set a dipsey on O off the big boards as well as the other settings. Where are you from. I live in Marianna, just south of Washington. Have a camp up Erie. Send me a PM if you want.
    jeepdude64
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/21 14:07:57 (permalink)
    I don't use boards (during the day) on the pa side. At night I use them but i always use lures like reefrunners and hot-n-tots. During the day I just use 3 dispeys per side and use the settings on the dipsey to seperate the lines. I just traded up to a 23 foot (pick it up saturday) and I am going dock at the copper kettle in Beaver Creek now. The drive from wexford is about the same and i can fish walleye/steelhead from the islands to avon and up to canada. Plus docking is half the price. shoot me a pm if you want I can tell you what i figured out in 3 years.
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/21 15:48:10 (permalink)
    I'll second what litl dude said, it is much easier (IMHO) to run deep diving plugs off the boards and/or add snap weights to achieve your depths if using harnesses, spoons, or want to target deeper depths w/ your diving plugs.

I know some guys do run dipsey's off the boards, but it makes for one additional release to have to monkey with-since you know have the board releases and the dipsey release to worry about getting set right. Not to mention the dipseys pull alot harder than most other set-ups, so you'd want to make sure you have a set of hard pulling boards.

Also some guys like to run jet divers off the boards, basically they are similar to a dipsey diver except they track straight out and only dive to a fixed depth. Unlike dipseys, they are bouyant and will float to the top if your boat stops. They are sold according to size and dive depth, i.e. 20, 30, or 40 jet. A 40 jet will dive to 40ft on a predetermined length of lead & troll speed.

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/22 00:03:46 (permalink)
    If ya have to use a Dipsy to get deep enough, then you probably don't need boards.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/23 06:17:54 (permalink)
    I've run the smaller dipseys and jet divers off the boards, but not the larger dipseys. I would think that would be to much for the releases to handle (the larger dipsies that is). If you were to look at my presentation from behind the boat, looking foward, you'd see the deeper lines closer to boat, and the shallower lines further away from the boat. Like a V.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/23 13:22:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Brad1

I've run the smaller dipseys and jet divers off the boards, but not the larger dipseys. I would think that would be to much for the releases to handle (the larger dipsies that is). If you were to look at my presentation from behind the boat, looking foward, you'd see the deeper lines closer to boat, and the shallower lines further away from the boat. Like a V.

Brad,
    I hear a lot of guys that run them like this and it makes sense from the standpoint of when a fish is on an outside line it will easily clear the deeper inside lines. However, I never understood how guys doing it this way, after getting bit on an outside line, slide their inner lines out without resetting all lines on that side.

For example: If you have 4 lines out on each side and number one is the closest to the boat and number 4 is the farthest away...and #1 is set at 40' down, #2 is 30' down, #3 is 25' down, and #4 is 15' down. #4 fires and needs reset. The old #4 has to be the new #1 unless you reset all the lines. Now your shallowest line is 25' down (the new #4) and your deepest should be deeper than 40' (the new #1). How do you rectify this? Am I missing something?

I run all lines on each side the same (or at least close). I may be targeting 25 feet on one side and 40 on the other. When any rod fires, I simply slide the inside ones out and replace that rod on the inside. The downside to this method is that obviously you only get to target two depth ranges at a time, whereas with your method, you can try as many different depths as lines you have in the water.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/23 17:27:15 (permalink)
    BJ, seems to me that #4 at 15 would clear all the deeper lines by at least 10ft as it's moving into position again. 1, 2, and 3 are all below the 15ft mark so why wouldn't it just swing out above them?
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/23 18:02:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chauncy

BJ, seems to me that #4 at 15 would clear all the deeper lines by at least 10ft as it's moving into position again. 1, 2, and 3 are all below the 15ft mark so why wouldn't it just swing out above them?

Chauncy,
    It's not a matter of whether the lines would clear...they would easily. My question was once #4 had been netted and it was time to set it back out, that line would now be the inside line (or the new #1) in which case it would have to be set at below 40' because #2 (the old #1) is set at 40'.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/23 21:05:15 (permalink)
    Got it now. Thought you were JUST using dipsys. Didn't notice you were sending them out on big boards.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/23 23:44:55 (permalink)
    Pretty simple... move your front rod to the back and let more line out. Then put the rod out to the same setting as the one you just got the fish on.

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/24 07:47:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

Pretty simple... move your front rod to the back and let more line out. Then put the rod out to the same setting as the one you just got the fish on.

Then your inside line is shallower than your outside lines...resulting in a tangle when any of the outside lines fire and fall back.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/24 09:16:39 (permalink)
    Lets say you put all 4 lines 100 ft. back on outside and 90 ft. inside...then you put the outside planer 140 ft. out and your inside at 100.
    Out side hits and goes 50 ft. farther away from the inside....no tangle.
    Then move inside 40ft. farther out...now 140 ft.  Put line back to 80ft. for the inside and out 100.

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/24 09:44:38 (permalink)
    nice diagram

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/24 09:59:21 (permalink)
    Bogey...

99.99% of the charters run board lines like you illustrate. For big boards, to prevent tangles, you want to run the same style/running depth baits on the same side. IE, run all jet 30's on one side and all the same deep diver sticks with 3 oz snap weights on the other side. Set them all back the same distance behind the boat before you clip them to the release then shoot them out the planer line. Leave lots of space b/w them and try to keep the outside line from dragging in the water. All the planer rods should be the same style, length, action and have the same poundage line and should be vertical in the rod holders. This way, when you get a small eye or a junk fish that won't release from the main board line, you can easily see the extra weight on the rod tip and trip it yourself and get that line back out producing.

Not really a more efficient way to run board lines that I have seen.

Throw in 2-3 dipsy lines on each side plus a rigger or two and you now have the porcupine in full effect! Gonna be GREAT for you guys next year running 3 rods per person!

Mika,
    The only problem I see with you diagram above is when those outside lines with longer leads fire first, you still need to slide the inside line to the outside and using your method, eventually, you'll only be putting your baits 25' behind the boat before you send them out.

You can run them all 100-125' (or whatever you choose) back when you set them out on the same side; the extra line that you need to send them out on the planer line will give you the extra clearance you need when a fish hits and the line releases. It will swing back and over the inside lines behind the boat as the boat moves forward. "Typically," when an eye is on the line, as long as you keep the boat moving, the eye will plane up near the surface during the fight and will aid in clearing the other lines. The key is to not start cranking full bore right away and just make sure you get the slack out and keep tension on the line until the fish/line swings in behind your boat into the slot you have illustrated. Occassionally, you'll get that ornary 8# plus one that digs deep and you will get some tangles.
    post edited by eyesandgillz - 2011/06/24 10:06:22
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/24 22:14:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Bogey...

99.99% of the charters run board lines like you illustrate. For big boards, to prevent tangles, you want to run the same style/running depth baits on the same side. IE, run all jet 30's on one side and all the same deep diver sticks with 3 oz snap weights on the other side. Set them all back the same distance behind the boat before you clip them to the release then shoot them out the planer line. Leave lots of space b/w them and try to keep the outside line from dragging in the water. All the planer rods should be the same style, length, action and have the same poundage line and should be vertical in the rod holders. This way, when you get a small eye or a junk fish that won't release from the main board line, you can easily see the extra weight on the rod tip and trip it yourself and get that line back out producing.

Not really a more efficient way to run board lines that I have seen.

Yup...that's precisely the way I do it. Not saying it's the only way, or necessarily the best way either...just the easiest way I know that allows you to resend baits back out at the depth they've just been caught at. I'm always willing to learn new techniques. That's why I asked.

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz
    Mika,
    The only problem I see with you diagram above is when those outside lines with longer leads fire first, you still need to slide the inside line to the outside and using your method, eventually, you'll only be putting your baits 25' behind the boat before you send them out.

This was my original point. Brad's "V-shaped" diagram (looking from behind the boat NOT from above), is out the window the minute an outside rod fires unless he resets it deeper than the most inside rod, OR he pulls all his lines back in and adjusts depth.

Mika,
    That diagram looks just how I run my IN-LINE boards. The main difference with big boards from what you describe is that I run the same depth on all lines on each side like this viewed from behind the boat:

As opposed to what Brad (and maybe you?) described:

post edited by Bogeyjoker - 2011/06/25 10:12:48
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: fishing with boards 2011/06/25 14:17:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

+1

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    Jump to: