Ok New Topic > SR

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/17 20:09:47 (permalink)
Have data from 89-03----the steel stocking was pretty steady. Haven't been to a SOL in a few years but remember the DEC saying that they couldn't increase it because of hatchery constraints.The "lean" years were not because of a reduction, but rather a recruitment problem---no doubt the 1 fish limit has increased the #'s of fish in the system(but possibly at a reduction of avg size).

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/17 21:00:49 (permalink)
Metal- 
   Although I tend to agree that the one fish limit has had positive impact in regard to return rates of Steel, would have to wonder why that would have any negative affect on size of the now older returning fish.
  They are after all now older and unless there is a biological reason that they no longer grow I just cant buy it without more info. Thats why the baitfish numbers came up in my post the other day - more of a question than any  kind of statement.
  Unless a variety of Steel that only grows to a certain size is now around I just dont see why they cant keep growing to their full potential without some outside influence. Especially if they are now coming back older in greater numbers. Unless the recent upsurge has yet to age to the point of a lot of very mature fish.
  Silly fishes
   Hey are there more Browns now too with that same limit having been placed on them. I see a lot of guys getting lots of Browns lately and more talk bout them too. Saw a guy land a HUGE brown last year- looked like a shark- I mean it was HUGE.
   Unfortunately NOT on any of my hooks though. If there was one chub and a hundred browns I'd get the chub.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/17 21:07:14
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/17 21:49:59 (permalink)
There's no doubt that there's more fish in the system.They are not limited on how big they can grow---it's the bait.Like the farm pond that has nothing removed from it----eventually the size of the fish go down.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/17 21:52:27 (permalink)
Hey guys, It's friday and I had a ball buster week. Just got time to shower and take a seat..
Had high hopes of opening day bass with a friend but i bailed for an upcoming tough weekend ahead.. But it's all for the bright future and pland outdoor activities to come.. ( pics )..

So... I gotta say DB is right .. Lets get the Positive goin' .. (edit) > Yea I'm a troublemaker (lol) But Im chill like fine wine these days.. I'm not getting Older just wiser (LOL)

Things that make a great world class fishery to me....

Lets see.. well .. If Im going fishing its the fish right ?
Lako Ontario does produce WORLD CLASS Fish.. Just look in the Record Books.. IGF.. I do believe ,, and I may be wrong.. It's Fran. V.. Most NYS records are from there as well...
Plus There is some GIANTS ( you see the pictures) of most ALL Species that swim that lake at least all the Trout-salmon I know of , well maybe not laker or brookie
So I would say the fishery is pretty darn good and thats what keeps me going.

Vote for me... World Class +1

Now the whole shebang..
Generally I like solitude when fishing.. To me being in a surrounding of nature is world class.. I like hanging out fishing with friends, meeting new people and watching others fish.. Thats all there on the tario tribs.. What is missing many times to me is courtesy.
It's a big river (sr) with lots of big fish , lots of pp .. Again I like sharing and watching others,,, ya know courtesy.. Fish a place awhile then chill or move.. I move a lot .. Of course if it "n Fire" where your fishing one may want to stay right there for a time.. I have done it.. What I most always do however is check out others if ppl are around.. If I see someone really trying or has no clue I "take a break" offer advice, offer them to fish here for a while... There is nothing better then seeing happy faces..
After a fish is hooked I always "take a break" Dont just make another cast not even checking your gear.. See it all the time though...
Food for thought..

I'll call that part (edit) -1 Courtesy is out numbered..

Garbage..
It's sickning..
Absolutly DSR is way better.. but Man oh Man.. it's bad.. What makes world class to me is the surroundings of the water shed.

I hate picking up others intentional trash.. No need for that crap but at least many good folks do carry lots of others junk out .. Sadly out numbered though..
Only thing I can say is politely offer a small bag to anyone you see littering and thell them that you would like a world class fishery.. I'm sure they think it is..
Garbage -1

Ethics..
Places I fish that are popular and see many anglers almost 99 percent proper good fishing ethics and practices..
Obvously we are Humans.. we can only absorb through learning .. I do stupid things.. But I try not to do what I know is detremental to the fishery.. I Learn new things every time I step into the outdoors.. I learn new thing from folks here & internet, I learn new thing.. So Learning seems to be the key ??
Many people have learned how to "fish" the tribs for migrating trout.. Still many have not..
We can always offer to help others in places like this or on the water. It may be a struggling angler or misguided one..
Ethics -1 ( that we can change)

Well coming up on bed time for me..
I'll be back...
post edited by hot tuna - 2011/06/17 22:09:50
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/17 22:10:13 (permalink)
   Agree on the sit and watch and move around stuff too- Took a long feeder walk during the season and didnt even take a rod.
Catch one and sit back and enjoy the whole picture. Yea, in a good run ya tend to catch release and cast again but it is all in good sport. We are after all the predators here.
   Most folks on the river are nice guys despite some questionable tactics here and there, when ya talk to them they are good people.
  Loooove it. Where else can ya go -catch nice fish- have nice scenery get some laughs on the river and go back to the house have lunch and come right out and do it again.
  Dont bring a crowd with me and generally fish alone but the friendly folks around the River  keep it alive. I tell my wife I live like a hermit up there just fish or hunt and then the camp- just come out for food or gas.
  Unless I bring a grandkid  -then its nutso.- they got the bug too. Bring my 12 year old grandson up each Nov. when the crowds thin and he has caught some dandies.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/17 22:25:41
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/18 05:29:52 (permalink)
RT

BRING THE WIFE

HONEY-DO LIST ON THE HERMIT SHACK....

NO FEESHIN 4 U..

First day of bass in Pennsyltucky, I'm off to catch some bronzebacks...

dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/18 10:40:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

So... I gotta say DB is right .. Lets get the Positive goin' .. (edit) > Yea I'm a troublemaker (lol) But Im chill like fine wine these days.. I'm not getting Older just wiser

I knew you'd come around tuna. I always assumed a guy like you had too much time and passion invested in to this fishery to give up on it. Its great to see you posting lately along with many other new names and old names. Just think; at this time of year this board is usually dead as can be. But right now its getting more posts than it has in a while. Let's keep it up. I guarantee it will have a positive effect on the fishery.

I agree with you 100% as well in regards to the uneducated anglers out there. It benefits every other angler when one angler lends a helping hand. I hate the guys who have it figured out to the tee but are too good to even say hello back to you. But those people will never go away no matter where or what you're doing. But strength in numbers always prevails. Let's keep it up... Tight lines guys...

Btw; maybe a late summer outing in early salmon season; or an early steelhead outing.... all board members welcome...i'd be willing to help out
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Ok New Topic &gt; SR 2011/06/18 11:51:31 (permalink)
Agree with the Outing Dime- might be interesting to put faces with tags.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: