2011/06/10 02:09:39 (permalink)

coon huntin

is there any coon hunters on this site? i got a walker

19 Replies Related Threads

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/10 17:54:21 (permalink)
    Not me anymore, quite a few years back i used to go with my uncle who had two blueticks. That was really a lot of fun back in the day. I Kill a few while calling fox & yotes occaisionally though. Dad and i did our share of trappin' them through years past too.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/11 17:22:10 (permalink)
    I go with a friend of mine.  He has a 3 year old female redbone and a male walker that just turned a year old.  Is a good time.  Would love to have a dog but do not have the room for one.  Although he says I can take his anytime I want.  No doubt it is a good time
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/12 02:47:32 (permalink)
    I hunt coons occaisionally with Benhook, mostly predator hunting and call in some coons.  When Benthook puts his mind to specifically calling coons, there is no need for a dog or long walks.  The man has technique.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/12 17:38:07 (permalink)
    yea i just started few years back goin wit my buddy then he had litter of pups christmas eve so all his friends got one there 6 months old and what a handfull omg lol but i wouldnt traid him for the world cant wait to start hunting him its so mush fun ant gota be quiet scentfree just drop them off and wait and i do alot of trapping to its like christmas morn every day on the line never know what your gona catch
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/12 22:04:44 (permalink)
    Having horses and thus a barn, barn cats for the mice, feed, etc for the horses it all draws the coons and I usually have to "nail" one or two every year..

but have never really hunted them ..

I would LOVE to read some of the stories on "how to" and "recounting hunts" from those of you that do...

I just read tull66"s post about "calling" them how would that work ???? I never saw a "coon call" ?????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/06/12 22:05:46
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/12 22:36:17 (permalink)
    They make coon calls, or "squallers".  I have no experience with them, but coons come in pretty good to the dying bunny blues or any of the bird distress sounds.  My favorite coon sound is on the electronic caller and is called "coon puppies", by Dennis Kirk. 

Benthook has a method that I will not disclose here or in PM's, it's that good.  It's a combination of a certain sound at a certain volume while in a certain set-up.  It is awesome!  I don't know how he stumbled onto it, but he should market it if fur prices rebound. 

Doc, get a copy of Coon Pups and play it on a CD/tape/MP3 player after dark behind your barn.  Don't stand near the player unless you are armed with a repeating shotgun.  It's a hoot! 

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 01:06:59 (permalink)
    long walks but a blast some crazy things happen when your out and we squal at them in the tree to look at ya and for calling them iv never done it but i got a movie at gander called crumblin coons its realy something they call them out the dens come running down the trees attacking the caller realy a good buy for 15$ they used e callers wit coon distress and a fight and bird distress buy it said that volume is key the pull right up to the den trees in there truck literly sit down and call nothin in 5 new spot im trying it looks like a blast
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 11:18:44 (permalink)
    my buddy has a walker... great hunting dogs... hate is not a strong enough word for that dogs attitude toward coons, self preservation comes in after gettin the coon, and he dont give up ever haha. A lot of fun though, backpack of beer and wait for him to tree, go find him, hopefully see a coon or two in the tree, get him and move on. Of course it gets rough sometimes, been turned around once or twice, but I rarely passed up an opportunity to go out
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 13:14:37 (permalink)
    yup gota have a refreshment after a long walk and yea my buddies dog has that same hatred for lil griz alive or dead soon as it hits the ground its game over
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 19:56:42 (permalink)
      When was a kid used to hunt with my uncle Charlie, he ran a bluetick on Coon- Gramp ran a redbone on fox- Uncle Ted runs a bone on  Yotes and Cousin Fred runs Plotts on Bear.
      I took a more geneeel approach and had bird dogs. Run with the others from time to time just to stay sane.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 20:33:21 (permalink)
    so far so good... enjoying it.... I'll have to look into that "coon pups" tape.. sounds like it could be FUN !!!!

I usually bait them in if I know they are coming around with a can of day old tuna fish

Several years ago my wife shot one in the small pasture at 2 in the afternoon.. I am sure it was SICK,, nasty looking thing, skinny, stinky, etc... I called the PGC and they said to just bury it....
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 21:16:26 (permalink)
    Only went coon hunting once and it burned me on that sport for 30 years.

Some buddies asked me to go one night, they had the dogs and all the lights.
    I should have none what was up when we took more beer than bullets.

The dogs were terrible, would not listen, chased them back and forth across Oil Creek at least a half dozen times. Twice through the swamp with boots to short..

Never got a coon, got soaked to the bone, bit by skeeters, and ended my coon hunting carrer.

Sure do miss trapping them though. Wish fur prices were better, I won't trap just for the love of it, if they are not worth anything no need to kill them.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 22:17:03 (permalink)
    I agree bings. Used to love coon trapping. Have done some myself alone through the years and with dad as a kid and an adult, but its been awhile . Shame the fur is so low now. Some of my best memories are of not being able to wait to see if we had fox in the fox sets and coon in the coon sets as a very little kid going along. My earliest memories of the "outdoor" lifestyle. If i live to be 90 I'll never forget those early morning trap checking with dad. Dam shane so few kids today will ever get to experience it.

Im saddened by how the sport is now on life support basically just hanging on. Low fur prices and less and less taking part. I agree also that i dont like to trap them just to trap em... Though i kinda wish someone would down here. There are TONS of them these days. I know they have to be really hurting the hell out of the turkey nests. Our turkey pop. has been down for several years now going back to early 2000's. Im sure all the coon at basically epidemic proportions & oppossum arent helping.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/06/13 22:18:02
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 22:40:00 (permalink)
    Yea, the low prices on coon has really driven the population up.

Bings, your sour taste on coon hunting reminded me of why I only went skiing once.  Let me tell you, a bottle of Jack Daniels and going down the "big peoples slope" without a lesson on how to even walk on skis leads to speeds only attained on the autobahn.  The lump in my glute muscle is now 30 years old.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/13 22:59:27 (permalink)
    It is a shame some of these young bucks will not get the oppotunity to run a trap line.
    Made a good buck trapping rats when I was a teenager. And also made some lifelong outdoor memories.

Tull, almost as bad as the guy that has gone a dozen times and thinks he's ready for a race down the double diamond slope. The knee blew out at probably 35 mph on a patch of ice.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/14 03:13:24 (permalink)
    i dont know we take alot of bullets haha and many times the dogs cross creek need hip boots to cross it got wet bugs horrible and long walks way to many ok cut them one last time and there 2 miles away **** crossed rds 5 miles from truck get picked up by another buddy to get back and cans not bottles forsure haha we never got to lost just few miles off and we kill bunch of coons every year pretty much every time... knock on wood... but there very good dogs he nighted the female sat in bruin got 475 plus second in his cast got beat by another walker atleast
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/14 08:02:31 (permalink)
    there is definitely plenty of coons out there, aint good for a whole lot if you ask me... but coon hunting is also much more popular south of PA
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/14 13:51:31 (permalink)
    Stopped trapping a long time ago cause of the prices. It was a pain getting permission to trap, checkem each day and then have nothing to show for it but stolen traps. Remember back when a nice Muskrat was 8 bucks and a man was lucky to be making 5 an hour decent Coon was about 20.
    Dogs is different though- more about the dog running than the 'take'. Got so we hardly killed bear- just liked to run the dogs and seeum- That said gotta let the dogs have a bite now and then- just to keepem honest.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/06/14 17:07:38
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    RE: coon huntin 2011/06/15 02:41:12 (permalink)
    no not realy unless you want your garbage tore into and dr. trout set some box traps to get rid of them if your havin problems there easy to catch and i get bout 8 for a white hided xxx coon at my fur dealer past 2 years and 5 for rats till bout last week of season then it goes up for nice ones ofcoarse not kits and mink arnt bad neither all possoms can die they ruin perfect fox set every time but i trap for the fun of it and its not bad to put some beer money in your pocket as well i dont run huge lines only couple doz sets and yea huntin wit dogs is alot funner weather its coons bunnys birds or whatever dogs always a fun time in my book
    Jump to: