Ocean City with Fly Rod

Author
Recman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/26 12:29:42 (permalink)

Ocean City with Fly Rod

I am planning a trip to Ocean City MD and hopefully will be doing a lot of fishing. I was wondering how hard is it to catch fish in the bay with a fly rod? Do saltwater flyrods cost more then regular flyrods? Thank you,

3 Replies Related Threads

Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Ocean City with Fly Rod 2011/05/26 13:29:11 (permalink)
    Fished it a few years ago from a my boat did catch some schoolie striper. As far as salt on gear if you clean rods and reel after use should not be a problem. Been using fresh water gear a couple times a year in salt rinse it down after every use and do a good was after tip.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Ocean City with Fly Rod 2011/05/26 15:12:09 (permalink)
    You really need a boat and a regular 9 wt will work just fine. You won't be tossing dries, so add about a 3" steel leader to your tippett. And go BIG with the flies. White/chartuse, bright blue/white and orange/white have done well for me. Dumbell eyes are almost a must also.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Ocean City with Fly Rod 2011/05/27 08:12:40 (permalink)
    Make sure your reel is salt-safe, and give everything a thorough rinse/soak in fresh water when you finish each outing and you should be fine.

I took my steelhead 7wt to NC with me last summer and had no issues with it. When I'd get back, i'd rinse off the entire rod with the outside faucet, making especially sure to rinse out the reel seat. Then I'd go inside and rinse off the reel frame and spool (seperately) in the sink, then let both soak in a bowl of tap water for a few hours, get em out, rinse em again, then let them air dry.

It might have been overkill, I'm not really sure...but it worked.

As far as flies, while i'm not familiar with the OC area, intracoastal salt fishing tends to involve clousers, deceivers, half & halves, shrimp patterns, seaducers, etc.
    Jump to: