Tired of getting wet

Author
ifishway2much
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/18 14:05:53 (permalink)

Tired of getting wet

I was hoping to get some suggestions regarding breathable stocking foot chest waders from some of those avid stream anglers on this site. I have never had a pair of breathable chest waders last more than 3-4 seasons. I have come to the conculsion that you need to pay more for the wader in order to get a lifetime warranty. My last pair were the 8X Pro from Cloudviel. The last steelhead trip this Spring I noticed a minor leak in the stocking. I returned them to Cloudviel only to find out that they don't make waders anymore. Fortunately, they still have a wader warranty department and my refund check is in the mail. I'm looking for a quality breathable with a lifetime warranty and good customer service. I've read some different opinions about LL Bean, Orvis, Simms, and Patagonia. I will not buy another pair of Cabela's waders because the warranty is only 1 year from date of purchase.

Suggestions?

25 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 14:18:05 (permalink)
    I'm not sure you're going to get more than 3-4 years out of any wader if you fish way 2 much. I have experience with Simms and Patagonia higher end models.. I have returned both in the past; patagonia's warranty is better.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 15:07:25 (permalink)
    Should be getting a pair of Rio Gallegos tomorrow, after I have worn them some I will post up a review.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 17:15:51 (permalink)
    Not sure if this should be a different thread or if it's a cut and dry case but here goes....I have no experience with breathable waders, only neopreme.  Why do you guys favor them?  I hate to be the guy missing out on something....

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 17:49:23 (permalink)
    Neoprene have their place, but to only have one pair breathable all the way. Go breathable you wont go back to neos.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 18:54:20 (permalink)
    Either 6 or 7 seasons out of my hodgman boot foot breathable... at the time they were 179.... I find boot foot lasts longer than stocking; and also provide more warmth on long cold days when walking through snow and 33 degree water... I prefer to invest in rods/reels/material/tacklr/etc. before waders; as they are only waders. Why spend the 100s on something that's going to leak eventually anyway. Im shocked to here there is a lifetime warranty on wafers; it must be limited if so... good luck with your choice
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 18:59:55 (permalink)
    I agree, sorta, that you usually get what you pay for.  But in the case of waders, I have yet to find a pair that didn't seep within 2 years or out-right leak in 3-4.  Seems even if I take good care of them and hang dry / store properly, it doesn't matter.  It's tolerable wading the creeks for steelhead and trout, but sucks when you're chest deep in the bay or near shore.  I'll probably go cheaper on my next pair, of the Hodgman variety.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6389
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 19:33:17 (permalink)
    I've used Hodgeman and simms I prefer the cheapest ones I can get because they will all leak sooner or later. I always liked neo's but now i'm so fat I look like an elephant seal or a manatee when i wear them.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/18 20:17:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

Not sure if this should be a different thread or if it's a cut and dry case but here goes....I have no experience with breathable waders, only neopreme.  Why do you guys favor them?  I hate to be the guy missing out on something....

Wear a layer of capilene and then fleece under breatheable boot foots in winter and you'll never want to go back to those clammy, soggy, steamy neoprenes... wear double fleece on extra cold days; and smart wool socks; you'll be bone dry at the end of a long winters day :)
    ifishway2much
    New Angler
    neoprene vs breathable 2011/05/18 20:32:34 (permalink)
    Tasty,
    I prefer using breathable waders most of the time due to comfort and temp control.  The only problem with stocking foot breathables is keeping your feet warm in the winter.  I use neoprenes during the winter when the air and water temps are near freezing.  A good pair of 1000 or 1200 gram thinsulate boot foot neoprenes will keep your feet warm all day no matter what the temp.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: neoprene vs breathable 2011/05/18 20:48:29 (permalink)
    Tasty,

Here's a thread from last year that has a bit more info on your question... hope it helps...
    ifishway2much
    New Angler
    wader warranty 2011/05/18 21:53:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I spent many hours searching for wader warranty information today and read many of the old threads as well.  The front runner at this point is Orvis Pack & Travel Waders with SonicSeam Technology for $250.  They come with a warranty that can't be beat and high customer reviews so far.  I was strongly considering the Rio Gallegos waders but after reading the warranty information did not like the whole reasonable useful life talk.  If I'm going to spend $500 bucks I want the waders replaced no questions asked.
    paul2ski
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: wader warranty 2011/05/18 23:42:26 (permalink)
    What is the warranty info? I wasn't able to locate it online.
    PhishingPhorever
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 00:40:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Wear a layer of capilene and then fleece under breatheable boot foots in winter and you'll never want to go back to those clammy, soggy, steamy neoprenes... wear double fleece on extra cold days; and smart wool socks; you'll be bone dry at the end of a long winters day :)

can't agree more with this post! If I were in the market and had to make a choice between simms and rio, unless I was getting guide discounts, it would be rio or LL Beans high end waders. Unconditional warranty on every aspect of their outdoor reach.
    ifishway2much
    New Angler
    LL Bean Warranty 2011/05/19 08:07:58 (permalink)
    LL Bean and Orvis have a very similar return/exchange policy.  LL Bean Warranty info below.

http://www.llbean.com/customerService/aboutLLBean/guaranteed_popup.html

http://www.llbean.com/shop/returns/index.html?nav=ftlink

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 08:26:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

I've used Hodgeman and simms I prefer the cheapest ones I can get because they will all leak sooner or later. I always liked neo's but now i'm so fat I look like an elephant seal or a manatee when i wear them.

Yeah, but yours leak at the arse from falling down on something.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 08:52:23 (permalink)
    Coming to the end of my 4th season with the Orvis Tailwaters I got on clearence direct through Orvis for $249. I use them for steel in Erie, trout and river carp/cat fishing. They get used often and have been the best I've owned so far....My first pair were Chotas (Never again) leaked on the first trip - no warranty. Folks are going to try to steer you in all sorts of directions, but one thing you need to accept is that ALL breathables eventually WILL leak. You need to keep up with them and get yourself some AquaSeal to stop small leaks as soon as you find them...there are lots of tutorials on youtube that help with the upkeep of breathables. Also consider your sole choice...I prefer a rubber sole with spikes overall for Erie waters, or felt with spikes....if fishing Erie streams though; IMO spikes are a must....Finally, breathables are nice because they are light and you have much more mobility in them than neos...Neos are great for me in extreme cold weather, however, I have not worn mine in two seasons....Try to wear neoprenes in temps above 55* and you'll know why you need to own a pair of breathables...In the cold, I found effective ways to layer underneath breathables which keep me just as warm in them which is a whole other topic.

Some good choices are as follow....a good warranty is a must when investing a decent amount of coin on breathables.

Cabela's - good warranty
    Simms - overall good, but pricey
    Orvis - Love mine!
    LL Bean - I'd love to try these, but they don't came anywhere close to my size (I'm 6'4" 195lbs)
    Bares - If you can find them

Good Luck!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/05/19 08:59:04

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 09:04:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

And a hat, don't forget a hat.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 09:56:23 (permalink)
    My feet freeze all the time as it is so the breathable ones would have to be taken into careful consideration before I'd purchase.

Jimmy D Moore

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 10:06:19 (permalink)

My feet freeze all the time as it is so the breathable ones would have to be taken into careful consideration before I'd purchase.

My hodgman breatheables have insulated boot foot and I believe other brands do as well. My coldest outing with them was -15 ;) as I said though; capilene and double fleece pants and maybe double smart wool socks if your feet are sensitive... oh yeah and a hat :)
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 11:54:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Dime....I guess I'm going to have to research all the stuff you guys listed to wear underneath the waders.  I've never heard of it and I'm hoping whatever double smart wool socks are would help me during hunting season as well.

Jimmy D Moore

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 13:22:13 (permalink)
    I used to wear layers upon layers of socks thinking it would keep my feet warmer....NOT...On the contrary, all u need is 3 basic things...First - polypropelene first layer (Or any thin whicking material) Second - layer a thck 100% WOOL sock and Finally - Air space for mobility...one of the worst things you can do is constrict your feet from blood flow and movement. My feet still get cold, they always will when fishing in temps that I sometimes fish in, but I rarely ever have to limit my fishing because of cold feet. Good Luck

flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 14:39:39 (permalink)
    Just finished the eighth seaon last fall with a pair of Orvis bootfoot breathable still no leaks this year.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 15:33:40 (permalink)

Thanks Dime....I guess I'm going to have to research all the stuff you guys listed to wear underneath the waders.  I've never heard of it and I'm hoping whatever double smart wool socks are would help me during hunting season as well.

Smart wool is the brand... I've neverhad to double them myself...
    My capilene long johns are made by patagonia; and my fleece pants are usually any assorted brand I have (but patagonia kicks arse) one more side note; I do find doubling up on fleece pants over capilene long johns doesn't cut circulation... for the socks; I usually just wear regular socks under a 1pair of smart wool socks; but a poly or capilene sock as a base sock will keep you more dry and warm I suppose as shut up said... I just haven't gone that far yet; maybe this year. I guess I can conclude with saying my under garments may hold more value than my waders:)
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/19 21:22:05 (permalink)
    when asking for recomendations on waders i think it may be appropriate to ask also how many times a person fishes , i know guys who say they get 6-7 years out of a pair of breathables > They fish the fly projects where the grass is mowed to stream side and they fish 2-3 weekends in may and 2-3 weekend in june then hang em up again. Alot of guys like myself fish that much in a week. I am leaning toward the reddington sonic pros (welded seams) for 250 but not sure yet !
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Tired of getting wet 2011/05/20 08:10:07 (permalink)
    i went to breathables about 5 years ago and never looked back. the neo's were warm and all, but the weight killed my lowerback and i would sweat my butt off if i was hiking.

i use a boot foot style and my feet usually don't get too cold.
    the stocking foot are nice because i think you get a better feel for the bottom, however, i got tired of packing all the seperate accessories you need. i always seemed to forget something.
    Jump to: