Line counter

Author
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/17 13:55:06 (permalink)

Line counter

I've been using line counter reels long enough to know that accuracy can vary and often depends on how full your spool is. I've been thinking about buying a couple of those line counters that strap on the rod to double check distances. Has anybody used these? Are they worth a shot or are they junk?

21 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/17 14:39:01 (permalink)
    I use one. Sometimes the line tries to bounce out...but I just put a palm over it. You also have to keep line tension against that wheel or it stops counting.

Its a little of a pain to fish with, but if your just "checking" occasionally...it'll be great.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/17 17:01:03 (permalink)
    I think it's ugly sticks.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/18 15:05:10 (permalink)
    I guess I have to ask what do you need it for.When I fish from shore and I want to hit an accurate spot over and over again or even just to know how far out I am there are a lot of techniques you can do. One is to get 2 pegs in the ground and measure how far apart they are. You then do a figure 8 with your line from the rod and count off that way. I then take either a line marker or marker braid onto that point on the line.That way when you cast you can either view or feel the distance you want it at.Another option is using a line clip. If you measure your line how I described and clip it up and cast it will stop on that point. Mark the line so after the cast you unclip it and have your spot set up. If you just want to see how far you can cast then mark then line and use the peg technique. This will be free as well and won't require you buying anything.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/18 15:45:39 (permalink)
    Mainly just using it to double check the accuracy of my line counter reels while trolling, it really is close to a precision game anymore and a 10-20 foot discrepancy could make the difference between catching fish and catching bottom at times.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/18 15:55:29 (permalink)
    bulldog...
    We measured off 50 ft with a tape measure in the yard one day when spooling reels... we filled the spools till the counters were accurate to the 100 ft mark.
    To double check, you could probably get some of the 'line ties' like we use for slip bobbers and slide them onto the line at 100ft and 150ft... or where ever you wanted. Or use colored permanent marker to mark off some of the most frequent intervals... 100, 150, 180 etc...

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/18 16:59:39 (permalink)
    I understand the reasons why you would liek the reels to be double checked for accuracy, how ever i think that is not somthing that should be worried about. Here is why.

I use to be worried about the exacte number of feet out, Then after years of beating my brain on that i realized that it isnt super critical the number of feet out you are, it is important you can repeat what is working.

example: say you have 150 foot of line out, but your line counter says 180 feet (I dont think they are that inaccurate but they will be off some)With the counter reading 180 feet pretend you are catching fish left and right, awesome you bring in a fish and then set the bait to 180 again and get another fish... what was important was you could repeat what you were doing. I believe i am like alot of trollers that you set a spread at different depth and find the zone that works, then you work all the other baits closer to that zone... So repeatability is the key for successful fishing, because i use to try to get the numbers exact to the "T" and found when compaired to the trollers bible they could be off a 5 feet or more on depth. They are good ball parks but somtimes it takes just a little bit of a change to throw the dive curve out the window (the hiegth of rod tip out of water, the size of snap, if there is a swivle, different brand of line between reels...)

I have clip on counters for a few rods that dont have counter reels, never checked to see how accurate they are but there is a few flaws with them. The tension adjustment can lead to the line sinking in to the drive wheel and change the circum. of the circle, to loose the line slips and not move the counter, or it can pop out the counter itself... Great inexpensivetool for reference

Use the counter as a way to repeat what is working thats my advise. Also Fisherlady2 had some real good advise on finding the sweet spots if you absolutly need to know feet out
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6389
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/18 19:40:22 (permalink)
    I had a friend who used the magic marker trick for years. Liked it better than any line counter reel. he marked his line in increments of 50 feet by 10's. 1st ten 1 black line, 2d ten two black lines. When he go to 50 he had 1 red line, after 5-50's he went to 1 blue line. It was akin to using Roman numerals but when you get down to it > 2 red, 1 black = 110 feet. 4 reds = 200 feet. 3 greens 1 orange and a red and a black > you've hooked the back of a boat heading for Canada. See; Simple!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/18 22:22:46 (permalink)
    All the walleye are dead anyway.....stay home

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/19 09:05:18 (permalink)
    Not to be funny, but I really could care less about accuracy on the counter really BD. All I'm looking for is a key number of where the fish are hitting best or where the bait is goin (or hitting bottom in some cases)....I experiment until I find the right number on the counter and thats where the presentations go out to. As a general rule though, I try to make sure my spools are pretty full of line all the time. And theres plenty of spare combos on board in case one loses a lot of line. I'd stick with the line counter reels if I were you.

In my mind, trolling Big Water Lakes....Line Counters or amount of line out markers are an absolute MUST...Experience doing it will simply express best WHY...IMHO the counters are simply a reference point to return back to when you find success!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/05/19 09:08:23

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/19 09:44:02 (permalink)
    Ya, I do the same, the problem is when different rods are measuring different distances. I'm definitely staying with line counter reels, just want to check their accuracy. I love my Precision Trolling book, but if your reels aren't accurate it's pointless. Say you have one that's hitting fish at 120' back with a dipsy. Now you want to duplicate that on a few other rods, if they're off by 20' at that distance you may be dragging bottom or fishing above the fish. The difference may be even more pronounced depending on the lateral dipsy setting. Say the one that's picking up fish is 120' back on a 0 setting, to get to the same depth you may have to run a 3 setting back 160'. It's really not that big of a deal, more of a curiosity. I know I have a couple that I cheaped out on the amount of line. If it were a really big deal I'd just go buy another bulk spool of Power Pro and even up the spools on my rods. I'll do some measuring and let you know how big of a difference there is in the rods...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/19 10:16:06 (permalink)
    Any rods that I have out that are NOT getting hit, I typically let some line out or pull some in.....sometimes even pop the dipsy and often times the change will produce a bite. I use the Romanack book too, excellent resource there....but there are SO many variables that even with an accurate counter, those number could be off by a bit. I keep in mind that it just gives you a general idea of how much line to let out to get to a general depth range. Then I tweak from there with each individual rod....I also seldom run all my rigs at the same depth....I like to cover different sections of the column depending on where I'm reading the marks.

If its a must to be totally accurate, I'd do the 'ole rubber band marker on the line....every 50 or 100' of line attach a band....thats what we used to do in the old days when running hundreds of feet of steel line off boards....UGH!

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/19 20:55:52 (permalink)
    I spool each rod with the same amount of backing and the same amount of PP. That coupled with Identical reels helps me with repeatability as Paul said. That is more important than knowing actual depths. Start shallower and run deeper as we all know eyes chase up not down, find the magic numbers and stick with em.

NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/19 21:55:30 (permalink)
    this is the technique i used this year for calibrating my reels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNHHef2oIEo
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/20 08:06:51 (permalink)
    IMO, thats overkill and unecessary...just sayin'

The guy claims that he is now going to be able to catch alot more fish...I call total BS on that one...At 100' of line out, how much difference do you REALLY think another 10 to 17' is going to make in depth? 1 or 2 feet TOPS! As Nuke said....those fish hit up....I'd say the zone is within 10 feet of those fish depending upon how they are feeding. You DO NOT, however, NEED to put that bait right on their noses most of the time.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/05/20 08:22:51

DT
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/20 08:54:58 (permalink)
    To calibrate your reels just lay your rod on the ground and pay off enoujh line until your counter reaches 100 or 150 feet. Do the same with all reels and then cut the ends to match. Now when yo let out 100 or 120 feet they should all be at the same depth.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/20 09:50:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

I spool each rod with the same amount of backing and the same amount of PP. That coupled with Identical reels helps me with repeatability as Paul said. That is more important than knowing actual depths. Start shallower and run deeper as we all know eyes chase up not down, find the magic numbers and stick with em.

That's my problem, I cheaped out on the amount of line on a couple of reels. I don't really care that the counters are accurate as much as consistent. It's easy to put a line back where it was, but trying to match it on another is the problem. I'm thinking I'll just re-spool the reels that are short on line, should fix the dilemma...
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/20 10:10:15 (permalink)
    at our dock we pace off 200ft and check them that way use a cordless drill to rewind the spool have to make adapter real easy to do check all rods and zero out as needed you will find some rods off by as much as 30ft the most you will ever run out on dips is 250ft unless u like to drag for gobies or have a flat line easy way is 50ft or 100 mono backing then a top shot of you fireline or power pro 225 yards that is plenty of line rember 3ft in a yard
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/20 18:08:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

IMO, thats overkill and unecessary...just sayin'

The guy claims that he is now going to be able to catch alot more fish...I call total BS on that one...At 100' of line out, how much difference do you REALLY think another 10 to 17' is going to make in depth? 1 or 2 feet TOPS! As Nuke said....those fish hit up....I'd say the zone is within 10 feet of those fish depending upon how they are feeding. You DO NOT, however, NEED to put that bait right on their noses most of the time.

it may be overkill but it works.  alot of things we do to catch fish could probably be considered overkill.  do i need 300 crankbaits?  probably not. i think i am just obsessed with this stuff.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/20 22:56:54 (permalink)
    KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid (Just a phrase, not toward you bd!)

Same reels-Same sizes-Same backing-Same line= More fish

Backing with any of the braids. I use what Poor Richards sells and have exact backing put on all of my reels and the same line. This is for Dipsy fishing.

All mono for the board program.

I have Okuma 20's and my buddy has Daiwa LC 47's and we measured them to 200' we were 45 or 50' apart at 200 on my counter. Wonder why his distance back didn't work when I tried it!
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/21 09:43:53 (permalink)
    spool dia my shakes are different than the 47 and have 1 27lc and its different the best thing is use the same reels and line on all mono floats high braid does not and dia makes a big difference i have been using #20 lb power pro for dips and have hade many days of limit catches
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Line counter 2011/05/22 09:45:43 (permalink)
    Great topic. Line counter reels are incredibly accurate, and incredibly inaccurate, and lots of good-dead on- points have been made here in this thread. The first point to remember about line counters themselves are that they are a mechanical device that have no idea how much line is on the spool. Some people like to say the Tekota's or the Okuma's are more accurate than a Diawa, or a Penn, and vice versa.. Point being, as you turn the handle, there's nothing more than a little gear driving a counter display at a designed rate. As said above, the reason we're using line counters in the first place is 1. Get the baits where they need to be in a timely fashion. And 2. Replicate as closely as possible, a presentation (depth) that works.

The more complexity you add to your program with different set ups, to include identical reels that are spooled differently, the harder you'll have to work to get them all on the same page when you get them in the water.

Line counters are not necessary at all if you know what your equipment is doing. An old timer friend I lost lost last year had Penn 209's and counted passes of the spool when he used them. In essence, HE was the counter, not a little gearbox with a display molded into the reel case.

Equally important, and worthy of books like precision trolling is knowing what is going on, on the other end of the line.

So to Bulldog, I suspect if you do get one of these Berkley or Shakespeare counters, its going to tell you something you already know. I'd be curious to hear how it works out. Good luck!

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Jump to: