Getting Started

Author
bar2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/09 20:26:24 (permalink)

Getting Started

So I have recently purchased my first boat and I now need to get it rigged for Erie. I have some questions on what all I need. What is a good combo for trolling rods and reels, also size of rods and action? What line does everyone recommend? When trolling with planar boards should all the rods be the same length or staggered sizes? Which rod holders do you prefer? Also should they all be the same size or some placed higher than others to avoid tangling? What type of electronics do you recommend? I know this is many questions but I am just starting out and need some direction.

13 Replies Related Threads

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/09 20:45:15 (permalink)
    What is your budget it helps to know and what species do you plan on targeting? Do you plan on just fishing the Erie PA area or other areas as well. These will help us give you the best recommendations.
    bar2
    New Angler
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/09 21:06:37 (permalink)
    I dont want to go crazy and spend a ton of money but also want reliable gear I'm ok with getting better equipment a little at a time. I will predominately be fishing Erie PA for walleye but would also like to target steelies. For right now however looking to rig for walleye.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/09 22:24:10 (permalink)
    Ok...how is your boat currently rigged? Does it have a planer mast or are you planning on running inline boards? You can get started and cover a lot of bases relatively cheaply by running dipseys and inline boards if you don't have a mast. You can even use the same trolling rods/line for both, although you may have to swap out your releases for braid depending on what inlines you're using.

There are a lot of really informed Erie trollers on here whose opinions I value highly. However, opinions are like....ummmm....elbows. Everyone has their own little way of doing things and it can get confusing at times, just try to absorb as much info as possible and try to match it to your budget/situation.

With that said, here's my two cents: Get good quality rod holders, especially if you plan on keeping your current boat for a while. I use Traxstech on my boat, but you really can't go wrong with Cisco (expensive), Berts, Big Jon, or even Cannons. I personally don't go top of the line for trolling rods or reels, but I don't go bottom of the barrel either. There are lots of good inexpensive trolling rods and reels out there. For the most part I use Okuma Convectors on Okuma Blue Diamond rods (both sold on FishUSA). The Convectors have been bulletproof, and so have the Blue Diamonds (I have 12 of them), except for the 762 ml rigger rods. I had 2 guides break on the same guide (second from the end) purchased a year apart...When running dipseys I typically run 10'ers on the outside, 8'6" in the middle and either 8'6" or 7'6" on the inside. I often run 2 dipseys on each side and riggers off the back. If I'm using planer boards, either inline or big boards, the dipsey rods usually go away and I'll run strictly boards, or a combination of boards and riggers. I rarely run more than 6 rods mainly because I rarely have more than 3 fishermen on board (that will change in 2012 however ). When running boards I like to run the same rods so that I can watch for any variances in action. I use 7'6" rods for boards.

Most guys I know use PowerPro 30# for their braid rods for dipseys. Any heavy 20-30# mono will work for backing...I use Ande 30# or TripleFish 20#, but Trilene Big Game or similar is fine. I was using Seaguar CarbonPro 20# for leader material, but was starting to encounter abrasion problems. I'm trying Gamma flurocarbon 25# this year per Kingnuke's suggestion. I have no problems using braid with inline boards, but have not had good luck using braid with the big boards so I have 8 dedicated rigger/big board rods with mono mainline and fluro leaders.

As far as electronics go, it's really a matter of preference. I've had good luck with Lowrance and Humminbird. I've heard horror stories from Lowrance, but haven't had to deal with their customer service. I have dealt with Humminbird's C.S. and was satisfied with their service. Raymarine and Furuno are excellent, but are more expensive. I run a Lowrance HDS 7 on my Erie boat. I like it, but if I was going to install new electronics I would have a separate sounder/chartplotter and chartplotter...easier to read and gps redundancy is good.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!
    post edited by Bogeyjoker - 2011/05/10 06:39:36
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 10:17:12 (permalink)
    Always rig the boat for safety first. (Flares, horn, first aid kit, extinguisher, anchor, marine radio, good life vests, etc). All Bogeys recommendations are right on. I would strongly consider the Lowrance HD series. Then get the optional Sirius antennae and marine service. I bought mine one model too early and wish I had waited.

If fishing with dipseys, get a strong average quality rod. Many people go with ugly sticks. I went up to 40# Power Pro braided line this year, as I expect to catch some monster fish... :-)

Good luck. Hope to see you out on the lake.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 10:50:44 (permalink)
    Best advice I can give you for rigging your boat for Erie is, get a home equity line of credit...

Power pro with fluoro leader. Good advice so far on most everything. I have a bunch of Cabelas trolling combos and have had no problems with them, would think that the Okuma combos would be similar. Check FishUSA first, gotta support our hosts! Figure about $100 for a decent combo and then add $25 or $30 for the line for each, you'll want at least 6 dipsy combos, 4 rigger combos (if you're running riggers). Then there's the wire, lead core and perching rods not to mention the $1,000 or so you'll spend on lures and tackle. Get yourself a GOOD long handled net appropriately sized for walleye, if you don't expect to lose fish at the boat. I have redundant GPS systems and always carry my cell on board. Make sure all safety equipment is up to date. Don't forget a good anchor and 250 - 300 feet of rode. I use the dipsy rods most for trolling and have 6 short ugly sticks for perch rods on board at all times. Oh, and you'll want to spool the perch rods with fireline or braid.

See what I mean about the home ec line? Seriously though you can get started with just the dipsy stuff and perch rods and build the "collection" over a couple of years. Good luck with your search and enjoy it! Welcome to the madness...
    bar2
    New Angler
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 11:10:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys Bulldog1 why should the perch rods be spooled with fireline or braid? I was thinking lite rods with lite line for Perch.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 11:50:17 (permalink)
    Yes, light line, but braid for zero stretch and the ability to feel the slightest peck in 60-70 fow. I actually like a slightly stouter rod for perching because you are often using a heavy sinker.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 12:00:23 (permalink)
    At one time I was not a believer in the hype surrounding the fireline/braid for perching, once you try it you will never go back. The sensitivity is truly amazing. The length of the rod is more important IMO than the action, when you have 5 or 6 guys perchin' on your boat 7' rods are a pain. The indestructability of Ugly Sticks is a plus in the madness of a hot perch bite... Again, one man's opinion.
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 18:41:22 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard!

Rigging a boat for Trolling on Erie has been an ongoing hobby for some time. It's pretty awesome. It's non stop get this, buy that, tweek this, adjust that, and pick up a few more of those. I love it. I spent the entire winter gettn the new boat ready. This is the secound time around, jez!
    The best thing is to start simple and learn as much as you can. Look, listn, and ask questions. It's not a bad idea to try to get out on a few different rigs either to get a few different ideas. You gotta see what's right for your and your rig. If you ever wanna head out on my rig I would be happy to pass any info I know on to ya, I'm still getn my learn on too.

You will love every minute of it!

Just hope the Asian carp stay away or all of our rigs will be worthless.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 19:19:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyedreamn

Welcome aboard!

It's not a bad idea to try to get out on a few different rigs either...

This is good advice. I don't know how much experience you have bar2, but you may save some dinero by seeing how you want to rig your boat first hand rather than choosing out of a catalog, or based on advice from others who may have different needs or styles than you.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 19:34:01 (permalink)
    I'm all in, with the braid. I'm switchin all my trollin rods over this year. Did my perch rods last year.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/10 23:38:43 (permalink)
    Spend the $450 to $600 and go out on a charter with a boat similar in size to yours and see how it's rigged and pay attention to the capt./mate and how they operate. It will be money well spent. How big is your boat?

Good starter set up is 2 planer rod holders, 2 dipsy rod holders and 1 rigger (mounted at stern corner) down each side of the boat. Make sure you have room to expand to 3 planer rod holders and a possible 3rd dipsy holder on each side. You can always add extra lines to the riggers with stacker releases if you want two rods off each rigger.

For large planer boards with a mast, make all the rod holders go vertical and when you set the lines, place the line closest to the board in the rod holder closest to the bow of the boat. Try to set the boards out far enough so you can get good spacing between planer lines. Using the same rods/reels/line on all your planer rods, with them vertical, it is easy to see when you have a small eye or perch dragging and not releasing by watching the rod tips. When the rod closest to the bow goes, just lift it out of the holder and up and over the other lines and keep tension on the line until it works its way to the stern and then start reeling.

Always set dipsies with some tension on them otherwise they'll get wrapped up.

Take some trips with some guys from the board and learn from them.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Getting Started 2011/05/11 08:38:48 (permalink)
    Bar 2. PM me if you want to get out on the lake.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    Jump to: