Crossbow strutter down!!

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/06 17:44:06 (permalink)

Crossbow strutter down!!

Scored on my first bow killed gobbler this morning.

I was up this morning at 3:00am and drove the 80 miles to meet my buddy and cameraman for today's hunt.  He had set up the blind last night in an area were two gobblers were hanging out the previous morning.  As we made our way into the area in the darkness I liked what I was seeing.  I grew up hunting eastern birds in the hardwoods and this setup was familar to me.  We were on a point overlooking a hardwood bottom with several small fingers all converging below us.

The first gobbler announced his presence when the eastern sky lightening.  To our disappointment he was not were we expecting.  He was probably 500 yards away and we could hear many hens with him.  Even though he was answering our calls, once fly down time came, silence ruled the first hour.  He was the only bird that had sounded off from the roost.  We sat tight for two hours listening intently for any activity.  This bird fired up again but it was apparent his hens were still with him as he worked through the various fingers of the valley.  Out of nowhere two birds lit up below us and after some cutting and yelps, one broke off and headed right for us.  I saw him coming but he held tight once he could see the decoys.  I had him at 35 yards but a large oak prevented any good video.  This bird was wise and stayed just out of range and sidehilled around us for 15 minutes.  No amount of seductive calling could get him closer and we had to pass on the shot with poor video.  As he walked away I thought back to opening day when I had a longbeard at 20 yards and never got a shot.  This bow hunting is tough for turkeys.

We went from a high to a low as we thought our morning was over.  Electing to sit tight, knowing there were other birds in the area, I continued calling occasionally.  Like a light switch was turned on, the woods cam alive with gobbles.  We thought there were at least three birds headed our way.  Within minutes, the black shapes of 4 gobblers were marching our direction.  We were ready and filming.  I had a opening ranged at 25 yards as they kept coming. The second in line never broke strut, gobbling every few steps.  When the first longbeard cleared the lane I made sure my camera man was on the strutter and got the go ahead to unleash the Ten Point Stealth.  At full strut and recoiling from a gobble, I aimed for the wing butt and let her fly.  The ABC Turkey Tearror ripped through and the bird dropped on the spot.  Never took another step.  We tried a quick switcheroo and almost scored a double when one of buddies tried to assume the lead role.  We could hear or see seven different gobblers when I made the shot. 

Just an awesome morning and what a way to collect my first bow killed turkey.  On video, no less.  After some celebrating we took some time to take the morning in and carried out our prize.  We still have several tags to try to fill so hopefully this was a sign of more adventures yet to come.

Here is the Gold Tip and Amercan Broadhead Company's Turkey Tearror broadhead.  This broadhead flies like a dart and absolutely tore this bird up.

Me and my bird.  9 1/4 inch beard, 1 1/4 and 1 1/8 inch spurs.  21#. Taken with Ten Point's Stealth XLT. Enjoy.

My rifle is a black rifle

1 Reply Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Crossbow strutter down!! 2011/05/06 19:35:14 (permalink)
    I must say congratulations D.  Now, do it with a bow you must draw while they are standing there.  

.....................I'm busting your chops.  

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: