eeeek

Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/30 21:27:57 (permalink)

eeeek

Took a nice hike today.   We were at 2200 feet on the shady side and my buddy says "Dude...duuuuude.."  I kept walking.  Late July I would have froze after the first peep from him.   I made two correct steps to the right.  phew.. Two to the left and I'da been in trouble.  It could hardly get the rattle going.  It was about 55 degrees.

15 yards from a tree I was hoping to hang a stand for a morning hunt this coming season.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

15 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: eeeek 2011/05/02 07:58:56 (permalink)
    We don't have that problem down here.  They are cool to see, though.  Only ever saw one.  Potter County, a long time ago.   

My rifle is a black rifle
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: eeeek 2011/05/09 15:19:45 (permalink)
    Not rattlers but boy, the snakes were out a plenty at Twin Lakes park yesterday. Had a couple cross the trail in front of us on our walk from the parking lot to the upper lake (playground side) and at least a half dozen water snakes slithering around in the pong b/w the lakes.

Almost got ahold of the one but he got underneath the log before I could get him. Looked like a very large garter snake to me. Kids wanted to see him up close. Maybe next time.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: eeeek 2011/05/09 15:26:54 (permalink)
    Water snakes are nothing but welfare queens, living in our tax rocks.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: eeeek 2011/05/10 18:05:31 (permalink)
    Dem watersnakes been out everwhere baskin' in the sun the last coupla nice days.

Caught a fat'n in the seine a couple days ago as it shot off the stream bank.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: eeeek 2011/05/10 22:29:55 (permalink)
    I do believe it is about time for some snake chaps.  With a little girl now, as much and as far as I hike in the summer in the rocks, and in the last 3 years I've stepped on one, woulda stepped on another hadn't I seen it, and then this one.. in cold weather on shady side of the mountain.  I was close to it.   A guy tells me to stop looking for them.  Guilty, I do look and that's because they seem to not warn you if they think they're hidden.  I am okay with the black phases as I am usually able to spot them.  It's the yellow phase that blend so well into the terrain. The one I stepped on was yellow.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: eeeek 2011/05/10 22:51:57 (permalink)
    They are some purdy critters with those colorations and patterns for sure. But its a real shame they gotta pack such a wallop!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/21 15:37:32 (permalink)
    Really ?  Can't I go on a little walk without almost stepping on a ratttlesnake.  I haven't been out since the last one.

This one scared me.. I lost a little bit of self control for a few seconds.  I was on a steep mountain side and saw him when he was about 4-5 feet directly in front of me.   The steep grade made him about thigh level and probably close than 4-5 feet.  He started to turn his head back towards the tail.. presumably to nail me.   Never rattled.  Only about 200 yards from the other one two weeks ago.

Nobody hunts this area (I'm beginning to learn why) and as of the first Friday of rifle, 3 mature 8 pts were still alive.  The rattlesnakes can have those bucks.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/21 16:42:16 (permalink)
        Was Turkey hunting some CT ridges a number of years ago and heard a Gobbler off in the Hemlocks for a couple of mornings in a row. Decided that the next day I would try for him.
       Got out there the next morning while it was still dark and sat on a small rock against a big Hemlock and then he started sounding off real early. There were rock slides all around this particular ridge..
         As it got a bit lighter I could see a sign on a nearby tree and thought I may have wandered onto Pvt property. I stopped purring and waited for more light.
      Shortly therafter I could read the sign " CAUTION SNAKE NESTING AREA" ---practically flew out of there- guess that Tom is still there cause I aint goin back...

RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/21 17:04:32 (permalink)
    If I avoided snake areas while hunting I would have to leave this area to hunt. I get into snake areas all the time so I am used to seeing them and really don’t worry much about them. You just have to be careful not to sit on one while turkey hunting. I always look things over and dun my foot around any logs before I sit down. In snake country the rule of thumb while walking through the woods during the summer is to step up onto logs and rocks and then step out away from them instead of just stepping over them.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/22 11:18:10 (permalink)
    Snake bites and gun injuries concern people the most and get the most media attention even though they rank very near the bottom on actual injuries or fatalities when compared to other activities. It must be our ingrained or media driven fear rather than common sense.

You are 3 to 5 times more apt to die from dog bites or bee stings than fron a snake bite and most of the snake bites occur in the western states anyway. Gun related deaths are not even in the top 10. Bings is much more likely to get hurt or killed cutting trees.

I will admit that I perfer to see snakes while hunting them rather than having one visit while calling turkeys or hiking.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/22 20:07:05 (permalink)
    No, I’m not real crazy about them when I am moving through the early morning dawn trying to get close to a gobbler either, especially on those cool morning when they are a little slow and sluggish. I find that they will get out of your way and hide if they can but sometimes on cool mornings they just aren’t fast enough on the move to get hid. So far I have been luck enough to see them all before I step on them, or at least I think I have. None of them have bit me yet if I did step on them, though so all is well. I have had some darn close ones over the years that were fine with me being close as long as I didn’t threaten them. I have even picked them up with a stick and moved them out of my way without them even coiling or buzzing. Some will not let you get within ten feet of them though without letting you know they mean business if you mess with them.

They are just a part of the wild things and wild places that I so enjoy though, so I generally like it when I get to see one.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/22 23:48:35 (permalink)
    I HATE SNAKES !!!!!!!

Always have and always will ... there better not be snakes in heaven if I get there, but I think the devil has all the snakes with him because there is no good snakes !!!!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/23 09:37:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

You are 3 to 5 times more apt to die from dog bites or bee stings than fron a snake bite and most of the snake bites occur in the western states anyway. Gun related deaths are not even in the top 10. Bings is much more likely to get hurt or killed cutting trees.

I always hear "you're more likely to get struck by lightning than a rattlesnake" That theory very likely comes from the total number of lightning strikes vs number of rattlesnake bites per year, on a nation-wide basis.. or something close to that. What can't be taken into account is the amount of time an individual spends in rattlesnake country or the guy running about a field in a t-storm holding a fishin' pole.

The truth is: While rattlensnakes are said to cover an entire geographic area (such as most of PA), they spend the majority of their time in very rocky country and only leave these areas during breeding season. Spend your time in snake country and you're going to have close calls. Don't watch where you're stepping in snake country and you're gonna get nailed. I've stepped on one, had one coiled and raising its head as I neared, the one that started this thread (not a threat however, as I had already passed), and the most recent one. That's one close call every other year. Not good odds. As far as rattlesnake total numbers, I've seen over 20 in the last 6 years.

I'm not real sure that lightning is a greater threat to me.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/23 21:37:20 (permalink)
    I've haven't seen a whole lot more than that in my lifetime and most of those were when I was looking for them. As a kid We used to hunt them with bows and killed a few but the last few times I just took pictures of them. As you say, they stay fairly close to particular rocky areas and if you don't want many close contacts you just stay clear of those places.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: eeeek #2 2011/05/23 21:46:14 (permalink)
    Have family with a place in Cameron. Saw several rattlers there. Spend time in Warren Co along with Forest, Jefferson,Indiana,McKean,Crawford,Venango and have been fortunate to have not run across any poisonous snakes. It's the two legged ones that bother me !
    Jump to: