• Reward points: 0
2011/04/29 17:36:15 (permalink)

Loaded! - Steelhead!

Wed.
My guest and I took the drift boat.
He was 3 for 10 on Steelhead!
-
Thurs.
The water level almost tripled on the Salmon river and surrounding creeks.
Most of you would say, to high, the river and surrounding area's are not fishable, BUT, not us :)
-
We waded into one of my secret high water spots.
It was like flying into a remote area of Alsaka, no one else around, TON's of steelhead and didnt cost $1,000's.
-
We counted no less than 60-70 Steelhead in crystal clear water.
My guest and I lost count after 20 Steelhead played w/ by himself.
Ye-Haa! A Day For KINGS!!!!
-
I hope you all have a chance to enjoy the qaulity fishery that we have here.
-
Best Fish's, to all,
Randy Jones
www.yankeeangler.com
Full-Time S.R. guide drift boat/wade - fly/spin
Cape Cod - Monomoy Island - sight fishing - wade, fly/spin.
-
We used 7lb. Floro tippets (leaders) on fly rods w/ all aqutics.
Caddis, stones, etc...
At times useing strike indicator's and times not

9 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/29 21:03:22 (permalink)
    Hey Randy   (& anyone else who wants to chime in)
      -Looking for another point of view here- What style of fly rod do you have your guys use when wading for steel and then for sharks- length/ wt and line wt please.
    I gotta get with the program here my 8 1/2' 5 wt and 9'  9/10 wts are apparently not quite the right stuff. They have got the job done many times but not to the level I see bigger  rod guys accomplishing . It seems they get out much more line and therefore much more time in 'the strike zone' on each cast.
    I have asked some of the others here and am starting to think an 11' to 11 1/2' switch rod in 8 wt may be a decent all round choice. 13' just does not feel right when I hold one.
    Thanks for any input.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/29 21:08:25
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/29 21:16:01 (permalink)
    Randy,where is that secret high water spot?I won't tell anyone.....honest:)
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 01:11:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey Randy   (& anyone else who wants to chime in)
    -Looking for another point of view here- What style of fly rod do you have your guys use when wading for steel and then for sharks- length/ wt and line wt please.
    I gotta get with the program here my 8 1/2' 5 wt and 9'  9/10 wts are apparently not quite the right stuff. They have got the job done many times but not to the level I see bigger  rod guys accomplishing . It seems they get out much more line and therefore much more time in 'the strike zone' on each cast.
    I have asked some of the others here and am starting to think an 11' to 11 1/2' switch rod in 8 wt may be a decent all round choice. 13' just does not feel right when I hold one.
    Thanks for any input.

hey rt when are we gonna throw some rope together???
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 07:23:35 (permalink)
    Dime-
      That sounds good-
      Also one of the guys suggested some kind of get-together for those of us on the Forum, sounded great. Doesn't even have to be in fishing season- just a nice time somewhere. Some jokes, a beer or brandy or two, nice fistfight etc etc-
       Some like you and I get up all summer too for yard work and such-a lot of the guys are local or semi local-might not be a bad time since it wont conflict with fishing-especially for the guides.
       Don't think there would ever be a time that suits all so maybe a place where we could all go from time to time during the season-That would then include those that can only get up for fishing trips- You folks mentioned a gin mill in Kahog as I recall. We could just say that on a certain day each week if your up, go there that evening- kind of a forum members hangout - Might be nice and lead to some good fishing too.
       Personally I'm kind of a hermit up there and need to get over it. Just yard work, family if they are up and fishing with the occasional hunting trip. Just been doing that stuff till dark then watching TV a while and starting again in the AM. Would be nice to get out now and then.

BTW- good luck to the weekenders this weekend. Finally, decent weather and a reasonable flow- go getum.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/30 07:37:14
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 09:13:47 (permalink)
    RT

IMO buy a 7/8 weight fly rod no longer than 10' long.
    You will be able to cast far enough to reach any fish in the SR, + be able to work in tight quarters, + be able to walk the paths without worrying about turning an 11.5' rod into a 10' rod.

that's my two cents...

I'll be up for a full week Mid May...
    Would love to put some faces to names..
    I'll be beer-drinkin and Wally-Chasin for the most part.

p.s. - I'm not interested in a Fist-Fight, but perhaps we can get RJ to join us and put him in the middle of a "Circle-Cast" party and hold him hostage till he gives up the GPS coordinates to the prime spot on Puckerbrush Creek.....

YEEHAH !!!!!!!

p.s. it's spelled Kasoag, from Altmar head S on Rte 13 for about 6miles. At intersection of Rte13/Rte104, suck a left. Go to stop sign, suck another left. Bar is on your left hand side about 3/4mile down the road...

p.s.s. - if you want to enjoy the views of some Primo Bartender Booty, stay straight On Rte 13 for another 4-5 miles and grab a drink or 3 at the Williamstown Bar on Rte 13..

I may not know all the prime fishing holes in that area, but I paid my dues learning about all the prime watering holes.

DOUBLE YEEHAH !!!!

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/04/30 09:27:24
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 09:34:01 (permalink)
    Wow this stuff gets pretty freekin hysteri cal sometimes... I wasactually looking forward to the fist fight...lol... hey rt; 11' switch is a great choice... in all honesty, I find myself fishing comfortably in tight quarters with my 13 or 14 footers... if we ever cross paths sometime id be glad to let you try some of them out. I also have an 11' switch and a 10'...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/04/30 09:55:42
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 10:45:19 (permalink)
    Thanks guys- My fist fight days are kinda over but it was fun while it lasted.Ya gotta know your limitations as you put on time and fat.
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 13:17:54 (permalink)
    HI all,
    Retired,
    Your rods are the same as the ones I use.
    Some with Trad. fly lines (strike indy's, etc...) and some w/ running lines, depending, etc....
    Your switch rod also would be ideal, from experince.
    Ive also used the longer rods w/ much success, for the reason's you've spoken about:)
    I think the rods you use now are fine, but those 11 foot'rs will work super also!
    Best fish's to all,
    Randy
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Loaded! - Steelhead! 2011/04/30 14:44:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Randy
    Jump to: