Looking to fish out west

Author
greenhead55
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 290
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/24 05:18:38 (permalink)

Looking to fish out west

I am interested in going on a fishing trip out west next year but need some advice.  I was set on this place http://www.bighornangler.com/ but have found some bad reviews on the packages http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Big.Horn.Angler.2.406-666-2233  I also noticed they advertise through three different names which makes me nervous.  http://www.bighornriverflyfisher.com/all-inclusive-dbr-pack.htm   &     http://www.pollysonthebighorn.com/our_cuisine.html   My father and I have been talking about a trip out west for years and are finally going to do it.  I don't want to be disappointed.  The bighorn angler offered drift boat all inclusive food etc at a great price but maybe to good to be true.  Does anyone have any experience with them ?  Does anyone have any recommendations of other lodges or do it yourself trips ?  We are looking for a quality trip at a reasonable price.  Thanks for your help !  

13 Replies Related Threads

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/24 11:39:28 (permalink)
    Did you think about maybe a DIY trip, this is the way most people I know have done it. I know DoubleTaper from here is out that way right now, maybe shoot him a PM. I know you could rent a vehicle or drive out there and camp on the cheap and hire some guides then do the rest yourself. I know some areas are really easy to fish once you know where to go and it also depends on when you go. Any specific areas you are looking to see?
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/24 13:02:19 (permalink)
    GH55, a couple other board members and I just got back from the BH angler yesterday and had a fantastic time. The town of Fort smith is not very pretty but the fishing on the river definately makes up for that. The lodging is simple and sort of small, but you're there to fish. Food was great and they give you a ton of it. The folks there are more than accomidating to your needs and the guides were very knowledgeable and worked their butts off for you. The wade fishing opportunities and boat rentals give you a lot of options. Optimal flow would be around 2500-3000CFS.
    Do not be mistaken, it is not a five star lodge , but comfortable. If your plans are to fish and catch tons of 16-22" trout that are tough as nails it's great. It's not for the guy who wants plush accomidations and 7 course meals. I would look at Forresters Bighorn Lodge or the Bighorn Trout Shop if you want a plusher stay.http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k526/bugdrifter/?action=view¤t=IMGP0045.jpg

We had some high flows in the river ans still managed fantastic fishing. Early in the season can be water flow and temp controlled. Mid season is high water time from mid May to July. The end of the season , mid July to September is fantastic dry fishing.The nymph fishing is fantastic all year round.

Im sure DT will have a few stories to tell along with some pictures. He had a heck of a birthday catching a ton of huge fish.

Good luck on your venture, but don't take all of what you read to heart. It all depends on the trip that YOU are looking to experience.

Bug

[image][/image][image][/image]
    post edited by BugDrifter - 2011/04/24 13:37:31

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/24 13:40:05 (permalink)

post edited by BugDrifter - 2011/04/24 14:10:32

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 11:03:28 (permalink)
    Love the pose Brad!
    Some real brutes for sure.
    Water looks a little high. I,m glad ours not like that.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 11:23:33 (permalink)
    few from monday on the big horn. my first story is on my blog. i should have one up tomorrow, the third day outing.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 13:47:11 (permalink)
    awesome, real fish. did you get hit with some bad weather? looked like it was heading your way.

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 15:58:43 (permalink)
    yes we had a great trip & like bug said it is small but we were there to fish & the fishing was great as you can see in the pics from bug & DT the guides were great the food was good & the showers were hot
    greenhead55
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 16:23:18 (permalink)
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback ! I am definetly not wealthy enough for the fancy lodges etc nor is that what I want. Just looking for some quality fishing, good food and a warm bed and shower. This looks like the place for us ! We are heading out late July early August 2012. Thanks again for the feedback !
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 20:46:50 (permalink)
    Your timing will be great for Hoppers, Yellow Sallies, Black caddis and some other goodies. You'll have a blast. If you've never rowed a boat I would suggest a guided day and have the guide get you behind the oars. Not tough, but some guidance helps. That is prime time so I would book it early in 2012. I would lean toward beginning of august to make sure that the flows have come down.

Good luck and if you need any more info let me know

Jerry,looking foward to the "Birthday Hole" story. What a day of Big strong fish.

Rap, we hit some wild blowy/rainy/snowy/foggy weather on the drive, but for the most part it was nice out while we fished. A little rain and snow , but we were still catching fish.
    post edited by BugDrifter - 2011/04/25 20:52:31

E.C.

greenhead55
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/25 22:32:03 (permalink)
    One more thing guys.....I need a list of flies that we need to start tying.  Both nymphs and dries for Last week July first week August.  Probably going to tie nymphs and purchase our dries.  There will be three of us for sure possibly four.  Can we have three in a drift boat ?  We wanted to get a guide for the first day too just to get us a little familiar with the water. Thanks again !
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/28 18:10:34 (permalink)
    Here are links to my Do-It-Yourself trips along the N.Platte in southeast Wyoming (two different years)

http://www.imrinc.biz/HTMLSpecial/wyoming1.html

http://www.imrinc.biz/HTMLSpecial/wy2007a.html

North Platte Bum
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/29 21:17:28 (permalink)
    55 for nymphs you need ray charles & more ray charles grat nymph all year on the big horn. you need to tie them in gray tan & pink. in sizes 16-18-& 20. also zebra midges in red & black with a glass bead. size 18 & 20. also san juan worms in all colors but in august I did the best on tan. I have been there several times in july & august & sept. & this year in april & those flies have worked every time. hope this helps if you need more info pm me & when I get back from camp next week I will help in any way I can
    Lundking
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Looking to fish out west 2011/04/30 16:54:16 (permalink)
    Definately can't forget or leave out the possibility of fishing Yellowstone. I made the trip there 4 years ago and fly fished my way through the park. Awesome scenery and great fishing. Beautiful cutthroats and browns in those waters there. Especially the Snake River.

Save a horse, ride a Lund

Friends don't let Friends fish for Trout (Stockies that is..)

Jump to: