Turkey reproduction

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/03 16:19:11 (permalink)
Normally I would say turkey hunting must not be too good in that area but so far this year those numbers beat the hell out of mine and I have a travelled lot of secondary road miles in what would normally be considered the right time of day. I've only seen 3 hens with any poults so far since spring. It's as bad as I have seen it since the sixties in this area.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/05 22:58:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"just over a 1/16 of turkey PSM"

No, that would be per LINEAL mile. If he traveled 1 mile north then turned and traveled 1 mile east, then 1 mile south, then 1 mile west to his original point. He would have encompassed a sguare mile, but still not have covered one.

My bad, understood. Very low numbers for a lineal mile. Winter must of took its toll over in Elk. SW has many turkey and fewer but still a fair amount in NW by what I can tell.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/06 15:36:46 (permalink)
These happened into the yard this morning, been seeing 20+ birds here in a block..(square mile). Not bunched up yet.

RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/06 15:41:58 (permalink)
You can’t really evaluate turkey populations from one area to another based on just turkey sightings between two different areas and habitat types. You need to use the same survey methods over both a number of years and same areas to develop population trends based on what is typical for that particular area.

Turkeys, especially hens with poults, tend to be much more viewable in areas with more mowed fields than they are in wooded habitats. That is why just making population evaluations based simply on the number of turkey sightings can be very misleading. The reason I included all of the data over the ten-year period was so people could see the population trends for the same area over a longer period of time. Even with that though it is possible to have some slight, unintended and unpreventable bias in the data from year to year. As an example of that potential for some bias is the fact that in areas of largely forested habitats I generally see more turkeys, and especially hens with poults, on the forest roads after it has been raining and the ferns and under story are wet. It seems that the turkeys come out onto the dirt roads and travel them instead of the wet grass and ferns when the under story is wet. They probably do that because young poults are very susceptible to hypothermia, and thus death, when they get wet and cold so the hens probably bring them out to the roads to help keep them as dry and warm as possible.

This year we had fewer than normal wet, rainy days during the summer so I suspect that factor alone probably reduced the turkey sightings per mile as compared to some other years in my district.

If you look at the ten-year turkey sighting trends for the area I cover the numbers sighted this year are pretty much average or slightly higher than the ten-year average. The ten-year average for this district would be 0.042 turkeys per mile. This year’s sightings were 0.050 per mile, higher than average even with the possible bias of seeing fewer due too drier that normal weather, so it appears the Elk County turkey populations are still in good condition.
 R.S. Bodenhorn  
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/06 16:09:47 (permalink)
Saw 2 nice flocks this morning as I was coming out of Marienville.

Poults were quite large. 1 flock had about 30 birds and the other about 20 birds.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/06 17:37:26 (permalink)
Are you the only WCO collecting data for your area ?
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/06 21:19:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Every WCO in the state collects the turkey sighting data for their district during the months of June, July and August. They then report their turkey sightings of hens with poults, hens without poults, poults, gobblers and unknown for every day they work along with their day light travel mileage and separately for each WMU in their district each of those three months. They have been collecting the data every year for I think maybe my entire career. If not the entire time pretty near the entire time so they have a pretty good data bank on the population trends for each district of the state.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/06 23:25:21 (permalink)
Are "YOU" the only one (WCO) collecting data in "YOUR" area ?
ORIGINAL: RSB

Every WCO in the state collects the turkey sighting data for their district during the months of June, July and August. They then report their turkey sightings of hens with poults, hens without poults, poults, gobblers and unknown for every day they work along with their day light travel mileage and separately for each WMU in their district each of those three months. They have been collecting the data every year for I think maybe my entire career. If not the entire time pretty near the entire time so they have a pretty good data bank on the population trends for each district of the state.

R.S. Bodenhorn

RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/07 22:03:17 (permalink)

Are "YOU" the only one (WCO) collecting data in "YOUR" area ?

R.S. Bodenhorn

There is only one WCO per district so yes I am the only one that ever collects data in my district the same as each WCO is the only one ever collecting sighting data for their district.

There is a WCO collecting the data for the other half of Elk County and one collecting data for each district that surrounds my district but only one WCO collects the data for any given district since there is only one WCO per district.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/07 22:12:14 (permalink)
Thank you. Why doesn't DWCO collect data ? What exactly do they do ?
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/07 22:58:53 (permalink)

Travel from here in CT to Pulaski Ny every two weeks or so for the past four years. NEVER saw so few birds as this year. That for the entire trip NOT just in one area.
 There are some fields ya could almost bet on seeing birds along the way and now ZIPPO. Must be a general downtrend-or they just learned to hate traffic.
  Hate bein so negative sounding bout one of my favorite things to hunt- but it is what it is.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/08 18:32:02 (permalink)

Though deputies get involved in many and even most aspects of the agency they are not used for turkey surveys.

Deputies are the law enforcement arm of the Game Commission. WCOs are WAY to busy to do law enforcement most of the time.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/09 01:33:12 (permalink)

Though deputies get involved in many and even most aspects of the agency they are not used for turkey surveys.

Deputies are the law enforcement arm of the Game Commission. WCOs are WAY to busy to do law enforcement most of the time.

R.S. Bodenhorn

I would think with more deputies than WCO's per district, that they would get a more accurate number of turkeys using deputies data which = more than one set of eyes. Doesn't make sence. When a deputy gathers info and a citation is given the WCO must appear with the deputy in front of the majistate or judge. Why is that if they are law enforcement. Do deputies set and check bear traps or only WCO's?
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/09/19 00:02:10 (permalink)
Got a hen and two chicks bout the size of crows again up in NY- Darn they hatched late-again.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2130
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/10/11 07:06:48 (permalink)
I have noticed a big increase in the turkey population where I hunt. My question is ( and I dont know how to talk turkey ), is it common for Hens to work together to raise their little ones? Or do they just happen to be hangin together?
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/10/11 10:49:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

I have noticed a big increase in the turkey population where I hunt. My question is ( and I dont know how to talk turkey ), is it common for Hens to work together to raise their little ones? Or do they just happen to be hangin together?

Although you will often see just one hen with her poults it is also very common to see several hens with their broods all together. Turkeys are a gregarious species that prefer to be in a flock with the other turkeys using the same areas. That is why breaking their flock up then calling the birds back to you works do well in the fall.

R.S. Bodenhorn
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/10/17 16:22:28 (permalink)
Hey -anybody score with the bow this Fall???- I passed on the bow tag this year for the first time in decades- -hate myself now.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/10/27 23:49:17 (permalink)
    Passed coupla hens out back - they still havent recovered their numbers yet so I wrote off the Fall season too- Hope for a decent spring hatch to get things started back to normal-- lousy mast crop here this year- hard to even find old scratching.
   Took enough over the years and wont hurt the future. Nice to have had the chance though.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/10/27 23:51:01
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Turkey reproduction 2011/11/22 21:26:50 (permalink)
Still glad I passed on Fall Turkey out back too- With the poor mast crop here this year no one hunting the area has reported seeing even one turkey so far in bow or rifle Deer season. DARN do they need some time to bounce back----Gotta go back to my Uncles farm in the Spring all across he State. Hes got birds .
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: