My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?!

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/18 20:04:43 (permalink)

My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?!

The North Wind Doth Blow," or "When It Rains...," or "If a Tree Falls In the Forest..."

Went out for the first day of trout season on Saturday – an annual rite of Spring and a family tradition since Christ was an altar boy.

Weather was lousy: Sure was windy out. It would rain, then stop; then rain, then stop; then rain a lot, then stop. So I fished the first few hours after 8AM with little more than a soaked jacket to show for it. After heading back to camp for some dry clothes and a hot cup of coffee, I decided to head back out. The rain had almost stopped. But the rain had taken its toll on at least one creek. The water was up and turning muddy, so I called it a day. As I reeled in my line, my hook caught on a piece of brush along the creek bank. I stepped forward to clear the snag. The soft undercut embankment gave way under my foot and I was in the creek and nearly six feet underwater before I could say, “Aw, $#*!”.”

Sure was windy out.

A brief ten yard swim downstream to a high spot in the creek afforded me safe escape. I returned to my vehicle – drenched, angry, and thankful. Yes, there is a REASON why they sell wader belts. I changed out of my clothes quickly and returned to camp for warmth.

Sure was windy out.

Should have been the end of the drama, right? Well you’d think. Didn’t even go out Sunday morning as the temperatures hovered around 30*F. Nobody was really “feelin’ it.” As temperatures slowly climbed after lunch, Dad – who hadn’t even bothered with going out Saturday – asked, “You wanna go down and fish for an hour?” Are you kidding me?! Even at age thirty-nunyadangedbusiness, I’m thrilled to fish with my Dad. So we hopped in my Escape and drove to the “Place Where Dad Fishes.”

Sure was windy out.

As Dad drew his fishing pole out of the back, the line got caught on the inside of the Escape. So we took our time and cleared the hook up. Dad made his way to the creek as I assembled my fly rod and followed.

Sure was windy out.

Not more than 10-15 seconds after walking away from the car, a really fierce wind blew through the hollow. The alarming sound of a nearby tree falling caused me to turn around and look up – to determine if I needed to run for cover – and as I did, I watched the tree fall behind me…just in time to once again say, “Aw, $#*!.”

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

22 Replies Related Threads

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 20:13:53 (permalink)
    Sounds like you had a "fun" time this weekend...At least nobody was injured!  Had a tree fall on my truck last august after some rain and wind...It just gives you another camp fire story...

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 20:25:27 (permalink)
    Wow!! Thank Goodness you were already out of it and away when it happened!

Sure falls under the category of 'when it rains, it pours'... sorry to hear of your 'mis'adventures of the weekend, but glad you and your Dad are OK!
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 20:25:37 (permalink)
    An appropriate week for the Biblical quote, but sorry you were given occasion to use it.  
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 20:26:23 (permalink)
    Mo - Man oh day - what a weekend!! Sorry to hear it buddy but I'm glad no one was hurt. A minute earlier you and Pops could have been sitting in the car!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 21:03:13 (permalink)
    That will make a story you can laugh at----------------------------------------in 15 or 20 years.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 21:24:26 (permalink)
    If you can carry a cross ..you can say that.
    Sorry about your luck and sure glad no one was hurt.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6389
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 21:56:49 (permalink)
    Syd Man you were lucky. I know it hurts about the car but if one of you had been there! ! ! But with the photos and all I'm pretty sure there's a new Escape in your future. I's hard to repair a "A" Pillar & windshield frame. Glad you're OK.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/18 22:05:26 (permalink)
    Mohawk , That just plain stinks. Sorry bout the downfalls of the trip. Glad nobody was hurt.
    You can fix the truck...

Sure was windy out..........Eh?

The Deetz

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 00:03:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: capcity_tim

Just shows that God is a Chevy man...

wow
    post edited by cbeagler - 2011/04/19 00:04:29
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 00:04:01 (permalink)
    So glad that you were out and away. That was a widow maker.

JamesD
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 01:40:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: capcity_tim

Just shows that God is a Chevy man...

Ha Ha, good one...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 09:24:56 (permalink)
    When it rains it pours...  Sorry to hear your tale of woe.  Hopefully some good luck will be coming your way.

pax vobiscum +
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 10:19:14 (permalink)
    Glad you're OK Dan!! This weekend was definitely not the best to fish. This was the first time I think in 18 years I didn't head out on the opening day. Really didn't feel like standing in mud all day. I get to see enough of that at work on a daily basis. Got out last night and got into a few at least. Lots of fish at the Deer.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 10:20:10 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear of the misfortune, hopefully insurance will cover everything. Just be glad you and you're dad weren't in the way.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 10:22:02 (permalink)
    Yikes, that's messed up. Makes two similar stories I heard in the last 24 hours. The other is from a friend in East N.C. who was sitting in a chair, heard a loud rumbling, got up to look out the window, saw tornado, ran to the bathroom and seconds later a tree crashed through his roof, smashing the chair he had been sitting in a minute earlier.
    fishinvic
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 10:35:58 (permalink)
    If you were a first timer it would probably be your last time, glad to here everyone is ok. You can definatly say that the wind isn't the only thing that blew.

!!!!FISH ON!!!!
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 20:09:51 (permalink)
    I thought i was theonly one who had weekends like that.

Glad you and your dad were ok.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 20:44:11 (permalink)
    when i saw the title, i thought it was an Easter post. actually, i believe He may have been looking after you and your dad, giving you time to get away. .

those unexpected accidents are tough to take. hope it all turns out okay. glad you guys are okay, too.

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 20:53:55 (permalink)
    Amen Mika!
    Actually Mohawksyd, you are not forsaken. If you were, you would definitely know it.
    That said, Im very sorry about your car. That REAALLLLY stinks.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 21:45:50 (permalink)
    Werd fom376....

some of yinz may tired of my "jim baker" bs .....as it's been put......I dont care....I believe my own sheet....IMO you were "blessed" to not b in the truck....to not drown from full waders....or....etc....all the bs that happened to you kept you safe from a bigger problem....you weren't forsaken....u were repeatedly blessed....TrUsTmE....

If u were "forsaken"...your problem would be bigger than a bad few days and a truck.

Glad you and yours are well

I also realize the title was a lil joke....I'm jus sayin....Give glory where its due

Slick

post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2011/04/19 22:26:53

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 22:34:29 (permalink)
    " The other is from a friend in East N.C. who was sitting in a chair, heard a loud rumbling, got up to look out the window, saw tornado, ran to the bathroom and seconds later a tree crashed through his roof, smashing the chair he had been sitting in a minute earlier."

Tornados Pizz me off. Ever since that one in Kansas attacked that sweet little girl, and her dog.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: My God, Why Hath Thou Forsaken ME?! 2011/04/19 23:36:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Glad you and yours are well

I also realize the title was a lil joke....I'm jus sayin....Give glory where its due

Slick

Seasonal tongue in cheek for sure. I actually made a comment to the tow truck driver, "Note to Self: Church on Sunday."

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Jump to: