Great Opening Day!

Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/16 20:34:06 (permalink)

Great Opening Day!

Even with the bad weather turned out to be a great opening day. Got the cousin out for the first time only 6 years old and what a blast. Not only did he catch his first fish today but we hit several different spots and it didn't disappoint. Not only his first trout, but first large and smallmouth bass, crappie, bluegill, perch, and he's on pace to catch more pike then me this year catching two of them today. Opening days are a great day to spend on the water with family, and got the young ones out while you still can after all they are the future of the sport

9 Replies Related Threads

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/16 22:22:04 (permalink)
    took my 11yr old son out on our annual father son opening day outing... caught enough for our annual mid afternoon fish cookout.... nothing like fresh trout over an open fire wrapped in foil,,, we hav been doin this 4 5 yrs now and I LOVE IT hes becoming quite the angler

I have become comfortably numb
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 06:30:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

took my 11yr old son out on our annual father son opening day outing... caught enough for our annual mid afternoon fish cookout.... nothing like fresh trout over an open fire wrapped in foil,,, we hav been doin this 4 5 yrs now and I LOVE IT hes becoming quite the angler

Put some real butter and ramps (leeks)with them in that foil and you've got a real good taste treat!

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 07:52:42 (permalink)
    Good day...:)
    Landed3 bows and 2 browns.
    2 horseheads. One slipped from my grasp and drove the trailer fly into my finger, broke the traler line off , 
    brought it back to hand and released it. Asked a guy standing below me to pull the string I wrapped around the hook
    as I pushed down on the fly. Pop,out it came, with a little flesh on the barb.
    Took off this morning with my rain coat on the cp chair.
    By 1200 I looked like I fell in and my teeth were chattering a mile a minute.
    Went home and threw my close in the dryer and stood by the wood burner.
    Threw my dry close on and by then the rain had stopped...so back I go.
    The creek now looked like coffee and cream.
    Snagged one carp, done at 7.
    Good day.

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 09:57:49 (permalink)
    I re-affirmed a few valuable lessons yesterday.  When runoff is heavy and you have the option of several watersheds, choose one that runs primarily through woods.  Also good if it drains a smaller area and supported more by ground water than runoff.  Go with the streams that are predominantly brown trout.  And one last thing...the rain always seems worse when you're inside and dry.  Somehow it's not so bad when out in it under the rain gear.

Hoping to re-affirm another one today that fishing is more enjoyable after the work is done.  So I'm off to it until 3:00.
    LakeErieMonster
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 12:37:03 (permalink)
    watched a bunch of guys come in and crowd me and my boy at our spot.  didn't see those kids they were lucky.  two guys almost fought, were screaming, over a snagged palamonio trout.  fish was over 20 it was a biggie.  my boy got 8, i got 2.  all browies.  we picked crawlers the night before, it was fun.  wife had breakfast for us on the table before we left around 6. 

talked to a kid who was wearing some type of special jacket.  he told me if i got one, i wouldn't go back to vests.  said he stays dry all day and has enough room to not have a vest.  looked pretty fancy. thinkin probly expensive gear??
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 13:31:45 (permalink)

talked to a kid who was wearing some type of special jacket. he told me if i got one, i wouldn't go back to vests. said he stays dry all day and has enough room to not have a vest. looked pretty fancy. thinkin probly expensive gear??

Not necessarily expensive.  Bought a completely waterproof wading jacket on clearance 50% off, was normally priced at $100, Redington brand.  Been using for 4 years and still kept all the rain off me and enough pockets for everything a vest could hold.  Shop around in the off season to find best deals.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 14:00:51 (permalink)
    quote:

talked to a kid who was wearing some type of special jacket. he told me if i got one, i wouldn't go back to vests. said he stays dry all day and has enough room to not have a vest. looked pretty fancy. thinkin probly expensive gear??

Not necessarily expensive. Bought a completely waterproof wading jacket on clearance 50% off, was normally priced at $100, Redington brand. Been using for 4 years and still kept all the rain off me and enough pockets for everything a vest could hold. Shop around in the off season to find best deals.

I like using a cheap Hodgman jacket that I bought for $50 (full price) a couple years ago.  It's completely wind/waterproof with a fully adjustable roll up hood in the collar, and has plenty of pockets built in.  I didn't see any in the fish erie tackle shop, but you can easily find them by searching the internet for "Hodgman fishing jacket". Looks like this:

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 21:37:26 (permalink)
    Great day for us. No one showed up where we were fishing but my group.Wasn't 40 people in a mile of stream. Water was high and you could fish anywhere. Trout were very nicely scattered.Big fish for the day was ,as usual,caught by my wife; a 5 lb brown trout.The wind and threat of heavy rain forced our annual fish fry indoors to my brothers house. 50 trout fillets,a cauldron of venison chilli,mule deer backstraps,beans,fried potatoes and coleslaw. What a way to go....WF
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Great Opening Day! 2011/04/17 21:45:42 (permalink)
    Nice!

Jump to: