ANF Trout Fishing

Author
CAP78
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/06 21:39:44 (permalink)

ANF Trout Fishing

I hope I am posting this in the right section.  My buddy just bought a camp north of Marienville and I am thinking about heading up there for the first day of trout, but I have never fished that area and was hoping someone could help me out.  Some of the streams I have found so far are Bluejay, Spring, and Salmon.  Anyhow,  I am not looking for any honey holes, but was hoping for any information as to water levels because of the constant rain and maybe fishing pressure.  Also thinking about drifting some flies instead of live bait for the first time and so far I have looked into blue winged olives and blue quills.  

10 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/07 00:49:37 (permalink)
    I've fished the lower part of Salmon toward 666. Nice section of water and not too overly populated opening day. As far as conditions, I can't tell you that. Alway used live bait and spinners.
    ORIGINAL: CAP78

I hope I am posting this in the right section.  My buddy just bought a camp north of Marienville and I am thinking about heading up there for the first day of trout, but I have never fished that area and was hoping someone could help me out.  Some of the streams I have found so far are Bluejay, Spring, and Salmon.  Anyhow,  I am not looking for any honey holes, but was hoping for any information as to water levels because of the constant rain and maybe fishing pressure.  Also thinking about drifting some flies instead of live bait for the first time and so far I have looked into blue winged olives and blue quills.  

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/07 20:12:30 (permalink)
    spring , salmon , bluejay are not what u would call loaded with insects. for stocked trout i would go with glo bugs , hares ears nymphs , pheasant tail nymphs , wooly buggers (olive , black ) i wouldn't expect to dry fly fish but u never know
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/07 20:12:59 (permalink)
    spring , salmon , bluejay are not what u would call loaded with insects. for stocked trout i would go with glo bugs , hares ears nymphs , pheasant tail nymphs , wooly buggers (olive , black ) i wouldn't expect to dry fly fish but u never know
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/08 09:34:40 (permalink)
    so far some good streams have been mentioned, but the best for that area is the Tionesta Creek.. about 10 miles from Marienville, and it is awesome for trout. Its stocked heavy, and the fish are pretty spread out... just about anywhere you fish on that creek, you will find trout... just watch out for the occassional musky... been know to steal peoples trout every now and then :)
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/08 09:37:31 (permalink)
    and if you are learning how to fly fish for the first time (how i interpreted you saying "drifting some flies for the first time") the Tionesta creek is very wide open, so it would be great place to practice and learn.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/08 10:23:56 (permalink)
    i agree.
    tionesta is your best bet  if it isn't blown out.
    spring creek is very cold this time of year and the fish aren't too cooperative this early in the year.
    blue jay you might catch a few small wild trout on nymphs but small streamers and egg patterns might be the way to go for the stockies. i'de wear protective gear being it gets a lot of pressure being so close to camps and the road.
    salmon creek is a good creek to stroll along and keep moving. the trout are spooky being it's very clear most of the time. if the weather is nice you'll have to deal with campers, soap bubbles, tooth paste, and toys in the water. every once in a while you might find a loose can of beer in the water.
    millstone and east & west branches are not too far either. they are very rocky pebbley bottom creeks so bouncing something off the bottom will get you lots of excersise. yellow and orange works well. i'm not sure how much pressure they get the first day but there is a lot of room.

good luck~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/08 12:00:08 (permalink)
    2 years ago i fished up there on 1st day and let me tell you what get there early. i have photos of the crowds but they must be on a different computer. that being said, there is great fishing to be had in that area. hope you whack 'em
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/08 23:53:44 (permalink)
    jerry , Doubletaper , i was hoping maybe u wouldn;t be too busy to help out with these streams u haunt once in a while. nice too see with your fly tieing for montanna and trout fishing asrround here u can still give a pretty accurate account of whats going on !!!! jerry YOUR AWESOME !!!!!!!!
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/08 23:55:56 (permalink)
    jerry , Doubletaper , i was hoping maybe u wouldn;t be too busy to help out with these streams u haunt once in a while. nice too see with your fly tieing for montanna and trout fishing asrround here u can still give a pretty accurate account of whats going on !!!! jerry YOUR AWESOME !!!!!!!!
    aceboogie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: ANF Trout Fishing 2011/04/11 10:29:27 (permalink)
    we've done well at wolf run the past several years and not done too much to speak of on east branch spring creek. Bad part about wolf run is that it gets hit pretty hard early on. Good luck.

"say when..."
    Jump to: