Duck Hunting Colorado

Author
Dan0348
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/06 21:14:32 (permalink)

Duck Hunting Colorado

Sent in for my Elk Tag the other day and was wondering about duck hunting out there? We always go out 3 days early and figured since there is a lake that is on a state wild life area right across the road from the cabin thinking about trying it. Was wondering if anybody here has ever hunted out west or has any tips. Thank you.

Lets Go Pen's!

11 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/06 21:26:46 (permalink)
    I've hunted there 7-8 times and although I never duck hunted it I did see a lot of them. Most of them were lower than the elk habitat we hunted. Unless you are die hard duck hunter your free time might be better spent fishing as they have some great fishing.What part are you going to.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/06 21:28:08 (permalink)
    double post
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/06 21:36:54 (permalink)
    We are hunting near Rifle Colorado about a hour north. Yea the lake is a lot lower than the area we elk hunt. The area that we hunt is about 7000-10000 feet and the lake is about 4000-5000 feet id imagine it is in the bottom of a valley. Last november there was a few guys across the street shooting like crazy for hours. Everytime we went down to get into town always saw flocks flying around. Really want to try it as I love duck hunting and could have 3 days at it. A good friend of mine is coming with me this year and we didnt get to hunt much last year in Pa.

The lake is full or rainbows brooks browns and cutthroats I do beleive I would love to fish it. Also the white river runs right below our cabin also.

Lets Go Pen's!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/06 21:57:46 (permalink)
    Sounds like your closer to Meeker. I killed my biggest Mulie near Glenwood Springs and have hunted both Rifle and Meeker. Real nice country. Thats also the area where I saw the most ducks. The White is a nice piece of water. You need more time.
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/06 22:05:14 (permalink)
    Meeker is where im hunting actually. You probably know of the lake if you have been out there. It is located on Oak Ridge State Wildlife area. Been going there for a few years now. Still have not got a elk yet.... Last year our group missed 5 shots not sure how but it happened. One was at 40 yards also on a cow....

Lets Go Pen's!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/06 22:31:07 (permalink)
    Elk are big but the area around them is bigger and the heart races a bit faster than when punching holes in paper. Your in a good area for fishing or ducks. My last trip to Colorado was a do it yourself tent bowhunt for Elk. Close but no cigar, I believe we just were not aggressive enough in chasing after them in the canyons. I think we were just too leary of getting very many miles from camp in new country. Good luck
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/07 00:17:19 (permalink)
    Dad has been out a couple times in white river national forest and shot 3 bulls with a rifle.  Last time he was out they only hunted one day then the entire camp burnt down. 

He won an auction drop camp at the UBP convention in March this year so we are hunting Sept 11-17 in Durango with a bow.  It went for $675.  Course, I have to pay full price.  All of the hunts went super cheap.  We are heading out a couple days early to get acclimated.    We are taking horses in so we aren't able to bugle/glass our area so I was looking at some of the rivers.  Dad says I best get my fat arse in shape cause them walking is the same us running.  I better skip the one pound peanut butter easter egg this year. 

All the guys on bowsite rave about elknut's DVDs so picking a few up may be worth a try for the first rifle season.  We bought a few of the DVDs.  They are good; explaining elk habitat, terrain, and calling.  He claims elk make over 20 different sounds so the DVDs may certainly cut down the learning curve.

You may want to check out the game maps on colorado dow site too.  It's topo maps with elk summer, winter, production, and migration overlays.   Zoom into your spot and click the game maps button and choose what you want to see. 

http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/maps/frames.asp?Cmd=INIT&Referer=http://wildlife.state.co.us/Maps&MAPSIZE=1&X=400&Y=366

Are yinz driving/flying ?   We are shipping everything UPS prior and flying into Albuquerque from Pittsburgh.  All flights around the area were $300+ per person but Pittsburgh to Albuquerque is $435 total cost round trip for both of us.  With gas so high and us already seen enough of that flat country, it's a no brainer to fly with some prices.  I've talked with a guy that is moving from Colorado Springs to Pittsburgh October 10th and offered to take back any meat/antlers for us.  So.. if that fits your bill, I can give you his info.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/07 08:53:10 (permalink)
    We are heading out a couple days early to get acclimated. We are taking horses in so we aren't able to bugle/glass our area so I was looking at some of the rivers. Dad says I best get my fat arse in shape cause them walking is the same us running. I better skip the one pound peanut butter easter egg this year.

Going out early is the best thing you can do. On one of my trips we had one guy damm near die from elevation sickness. It was a mad dash off the mountain in the middle of the night to a hospital and his hunt was over. There is a shot or pills that you can take a week before you go that helps with the sickness. Check with your doctor.

You may want to do a bit of horseback riding before leaving also. Going from no horse riding to several hours a day can make for a less than enjoyable hunt.

Your dad's right about trying to keep up with moving elk. You will find out how tough a man you are. Sure is fun with the bow when they are in the rut. Just like spring gobbler hunting and the tactics are very similiar.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/07 09:29:29 (permalink)
    I did a guided rifle Elk hunt from Cabins high in the White River years ago before there were the number of Elk there are today.
    The trip out was terrible in white out snow, the outfitter got drunk the day we arrived and stayed drunk the whole time we were there. His wife did the best she could and at least we had good food.
    When we could get out the horses bellies were dragging in the snow and all the tracks were headed for the low country. The last couple days they halfway cleared the roads and we drove off the mountain and managed to get a couple mulies but all the elk we saw were on private land.
    It was the worst of several not so good trips. Even when you think you have done your homework it's a bit of a crap shoot your first time in any area or with a new outfitter. I have also had some great trips and hope to do a couple more bowhunts before I get too old.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/07 10:47:08 (permalink)
    Hey Dan, check out http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/ for info on duck hunting in Colorado. Lots of good info on there in the Colorado sub-forum.
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    RE: Duck Hunting Colorado 2011/04/07 14:51:48 (permalink)
    We are driving out like we do every year. We have brought trailers in the past with us. But this year just gonna pack everything in the truck. Not sure on how we are getting it back yet but well find a way. We hunted with a outfitter the first year. Last year we did it ourself and we found a lot out about elk hunting. We had more chances then ever before. But this year we are hunting the same area so we know a decent amount about where the elk will be depending on the amount of snow. And what the weather is like. Last year they always seemed to be close to the private ranches. You would catch them running off or onto them within a hour of light. This year we got a better idea and hopefully well all fill our tags.

Lets Go Pen's!
    Jump to: