Penn reels

Author
Rough House
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/01 23:25:47 (permalink)

Penn reels

Has anyone on here have or have used any Penn 320GT2LC reels. looking into getting some new reels and i have never had any luck with okuma. I use daiwa 47lc's and like them but just wanted to see what people have to say about Penn.

14 Replies Related Threads

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/01 23:53:29 (permalink)
    We have 2 Penn LC reels, not sure what model they are due to being in winter storage and can't look at them.

They have been relatively trouble free and seem to be reliable enough and suit our fishing style.
    We did have one quit counting the second trip out, but took it back to the Fish USA store and they swapped it out for a new one on the spot!

We have several other Penn reels, levelwinds, not LC's and they perform flawlessly.

Would we buy more Penn reels...YES.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/02 00:10:55 (permalink)
    Thanks. i use a couple of older penn 320GTI's for our lead core rods and absolutly love them. Just trying to see if anyone knows anything about there line counter reels. I see you have dutch fork custom lures on you post. I kinda know keith. I gave him a jump start at the butler fishing show. you guys do some nice work and i love your wall mounts for hunting trophys.

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/02 08:37:59 (permalink)
    I love the older, made in the USA, Penn levelwinds. As soon as they started making them overseas they became junk, and I'm not exaggerating. Now, they may have since gotten their act together, and may be producing quality products overseas, but I haven't given them the chance to find out.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/02 08:52:51 (permalink)
    I have a couple older Penn reels,there decent but I have 4 old 47 LC thats still work great and there 20 years old,just a little bit of cleaning and a little oil and there a go.  I back off on the drag  in the off season and the drag still works fine. But I do like my Shimono's more,there just a smoother over all deep water reel.I my opinion they just don't make stuff that good or made to last long any more.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/02 14:26:31 (permalink)
    Got a 320GTI LC late last season and didn't get a chance to use it. If/when i get invited back up to fish the big water this spring, i'll post a report about it. It's a lot heavier than my 27LC's. Supposed to pickup a lot of line per revolution from what i read.
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/02 16:21:27 (permalink)
    I never knew the started making them overseas. I was kinda looking at them because there were made in the USA. Hum... Thanks for the info. Are there anymore reel companies in the US anymore?
    ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

I love the older, made in the USA, Penn levelwinds. As soon as they started making them overseas they became junk, and I'm not exaggerating. Now, they may have since gotten their act together, and may be producing quality products overseas, but I haven't given them the chance to find out.

post edited by Rough House - 2011/04/02 16:25:02

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/02 23:08:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rough House

I never knew the started making them overseas. I was kinda looking at them because there were made in the USA. Hum... Thanks for the info. Are there anymore reel companies in the US anymore?

Yeah, 2005 was the last year they made them in the States. I don't believe any levelwind trolling reels are made in the USA anymore. I used to watch eBay for pre 05 Penn bargains, but most people know that an American made Penn is worth a premium and it's a lot harder to score them anymore. Besides, I mainly used them for leadcore rods because they were not linecounters, and I've gotten used to using linecounters for leadcore too.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/03 10:09:17 (permalink)
    Been using the 320GTi for muskie trolling for years and I still have the two original ones I bought years ago and are still working trouble free. With some basic maintenance, cleaning and re-greasing, these reels have been the best I've used in regards to drag system. The drag system is unmatched IMO....smooth as silk and strong withstanding constant heavy pressure. Over the years, as with anything else, they have cheapened up on the clicker system, but the drag has continued to be good IMO....when I saw they came out with the LC, I was excited, but just purchased 6 new Okuma Convectors cv30 series....They have also been very reliable so far. I'm going to wait and see reviews on the 320s to see how they are before I go buying some...however, I believe they will be good, just no need for more reels at this time. Currently, the best trolling reel I own or have owned with all the things I need (including LC), is the Okuma Catalina. 6 years now, trolling for muskies. walleye and some salmon....trouble free.

Here is my overall opinion on the lc levelwind reels:

Around the $100 price range, Penn, IMO is the best and will last you longer than the rest....There is no comparing the Diawa 47LC to a Penn 320Gti....none As far as comparing the Okumas and the 47lc...thats personal preferences...because they are more comparable IMO

Now, if you're on a budget, Okuma is pretty hard to beat in relation to price and performance. Yeah, they may get more duds sold because of various reasons, but when you get a good one...they will give you years of trouble free performance in all aspects of the reel. They have the power that the Penn has, large crank handle, hold more line and the drag system IMO better than the Diawas...this is just my opinion...I've used both and I know what I like for me.

Of course you have the Shimano Tekotas, which are probably the best....but for as much fishing I do, I'd rather get me 2 or 3 quality reels for the price of one Shimano.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/04/03 10:22:47

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/03 11:46:37 (permalink)
    I don't troll for musky, but I have to agree with SUNF about the Okuma having a very good bang for the buck.  I own 10 Convectors (20s,30s, and 45s), and 2 Catalinas.  I have not had one single problem with any of them, and I think it's been five years since they've been my main trolling reels.  I will say that even though I really like the Catalinas, I wouldn't buy them again, because at double the price of the Convectors...they're not THAT good.  I've never used the cheaper Okumas (Magdas), but I know some Charter Captains that have said they've been pretty reliable and can't be beat for the price. 
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/03 12:07:13 (permalink)
    see i use the daiwa great lakes 47lc's now and i really dont have much trouble with them except for the drag washers and they look 100 years old because of sun fade. but there 10+ years old and its time for new ones. I also have okumas but the ones i have dont work well at all. I believe there magdas. also theres 2 other charter captains on my dock that use the convectors and one loves them and the other one HATES them... lol. So thats why i was kinda looking for something different. I might buy one penn 320gt2lc just to see how it works. I hate to drop 600+ bucks buying 6-8 of them and absolutly hate them. No shimanos for me. i know there a very quality product and i use them for my personal spinning gear but there just to expensive for chartering.
    post edited by Rough House - 2011/04/03 12:38:47

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Penn reels 2011/04/04 17:43:30 (permalink)
    You won't hate the Penns, trust me. As far as the Magda Pros...I have 4 of them and they aren't too bad for the money, but DO NOT compare to the convectors. The Diawas are pretty good...I know guys that use them and most are satisfied...I just do not like the smaller cranking handles on them and a few minor other things that are just not to my liking and a personal preference issue.

spinnerspooner
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Penn reels 2011/06/05 14:09:13 (permalink)
    I own 6 or 7 of the 320GTI reels and also a 320GT2 reel.   Acquired just about all of them in used condition either in flea markets, estate sales or on eBay.  Every one of them has printed on the LH side of these righthanded reels the words "Made by Penn Reels in USA".    Do the newer foreign made 320's say something different?

These reels are not all alike.  They do have subtle differences, such as style of handle, type of line guide (that distributes line onto reel), name plate etc.   

Curious what differentiates the newer, cheaper 320's ?

Am curious if anyone here has tried the slightly smaller Shimano Triton 200GT (for trolling) ?
    post edited by spinnerspooner - 2011/06/05 15:23:05
    spinnerspooner
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Penn reels 2011/10/16 11:55:17 (permalink)
    A few months ago I bought a newer vintage Penn 321 GT2 for my left handed grandson who has more trouble than you can imagine reeling in a big brown trout with a RH reel.   It is very similar in appearance to the 320 GTI's that I own.   It's my understanding that the 320 GTI model was discontinued before they moved production overseas.   That's a shame because the 320GTI is the largest selling single model reel in history.   I can tell you that this reel (321GT2) seems to function as well as any of the RH Penn 320's I own.   Only visible difference is that on the logo side of the reel where the ratchet switch is located, down near the bottom are the words "MADE BY PENN REELS"  where the USA models used to say "MADE BY PENN REELS IN U.S.A."  

I will also say that another RH 320GT2 that I own says "MADE BY PENN REELS IN U.S.A." so i know the 320GT2's actually started in the USA and were sent overseas later, and the 320GTI's apparently were discontinued before they went overseas.

Among the Penn 320's that I own is a Penn 320 LD....no GTI or GT2 designation.  LD stands for Lever Drag, and that's exactly what it has, a lever that you can adjust to increase your drag to suit you, or release it all the way to let the line run out freely.  Dimensionally it's the same size as all the other Penn 320's it just doesn't have a Star Drag.

As far as line counting, I think this is a very good rule of thumb (for the Penn 320's and 321's) .......if you spool your line so that it is very full, say within a 1/16" of the bevel on either side, with each pass of the line guide you will be letting out 10 feet of line, that's either left to right or right to left.    If you make a round trip, it's 20 feet.    So if you want to let out 100 feet of line, just let the line guide make 5 round trips.   You can go out and buy expensive line counter reels but if you know your reel's payout rate it's really not necessary.   

Yes, you can spend $100 for one of these reels, but I've gotten most of mine on eBay or Craigslist in the $40-$55 range.   The LH models will no doubt run more on eBay....I see them selling as high as $75.
    post edited by spinnerspooner - 2011/10/16 14:53:52

and some of them don't even know that they're dead.......and some of them can't grasp the fact that they're on ignore.
    TailChaser
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Penn reels 2012/04/04 14:15:08 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if the penn 320GT2lc can hold 80lb braid? and if so the capacity?
    Jump to: