rod balancing

Author
davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 980
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/31 08:53:13 (permalink)

rod balancing

My centerpin outfit [Sheffield) is tip heavy and it would require 9 ounces of lead at the butt end to get it to balance perfectly. I have discussed with a rod builder friend cutting the cork and blank and adding some lead and perhaps extending the butt an inch or two.

He suggested perhaps removing my backing and adding lead core to take up the space. 3 years ago I had asked on another board about trying this as it was also my first thought.  The majority of replies were that this could a problem with the reel start up and free spinning.  Any thoughts on this approach before I proceed with my other idea?  The advantage doing it this way would be the change could easily be undone.

7 Replies Related Threads

Paine Falls
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/06 11:08:26 (permalink)
    End of rod is the best place to add weight as it is the only place to minimize the amount of material needed to balance the outfit. If you add to reel it can be more.

If you're adding 9 oz to balance, It is going to fatigue you rather quickly if you fish extended periods of time.
    noodle one
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/06 15:27:37 (permalink)
    Go to a golf shop or****s and buy lead tape by Acuity. Put a little at a time on the base of the handle until you get what you want. The good thing about it is if you are not happy with it, you can take it off.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/06 17:01:07 (permalink)

If you're adding 9 oz to balance, It is going to fatigue you rather quickly if you fish extended periods of time.

I agree 9 ounces would be way to much to try.  I was thinking along the lines of perhaps a 4 ounce bottom bouncer epoxied into the rod butt.

Anyone have any thoughts on using lead core as reel backing and how that might effect spool start up etc.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/06 17:39:42 (permalink)
    I wouldn't do it Dave. If you add a few ounces to the butt you should be OK...A total balance isn't absolutley necessary...taking some of that tip heaviness out is OK. Some reels and rods are simply not too compatable. I'd sart with the 5 oz. and go from there.

Hope all is well.

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/06 23:10:17 (permalink)
    That weighs as much as a whole reel.  I'd NEVER add that much weight.  I had a 13' St. Croix Wild River with an Okuma Aventa I had to add 5 oz to....I sold it quick.
    redcanoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/09 19:38:42 (permalink)
    I had a custom rod made for me and went thru these issues. The heavier you make the butt or the reel, the more you're not gonna like it.

You need a long stretch of cork, 24+ inches, not the skimpy length you get from the off-the-shelf float rods currently available on the market. I'm still waiting for the mfrs to get it right, it's been a long wait. Anybody know a mfr who has figured it out yet?

My custom rod was balanced beautifully, but I made one mistake in my specifications. I asked for a reel seat, thinking I'd like it better than pac-bays. But I learned a reel seat adds weight and it's cold to touch on those winter days.

Now I know why I like Pac-Bay reel-holder rings. My next rod will have them.

The Pac-Bays don't drain heat out of your hand. They add the least weight to the outfit, and you can find you own position along the cork-grip part of the rodbutt to balance the system.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    RE: rod balancing 2011/04/10 16:26:35 (permalink)
    I ended up drilling a small hole through the rubberized cork at the butt of the rod and slowly kept drilling it out till I could fit a bottom bouncer inside. Kept the hole smaller than the inside diameter of the rod blank.  Put in 3.6 ounces of lead and epoxied it all in and then used up some ground up cork mixed with epoxy to fill the hole.  That moved the balance point back about 3 inches so far.  Am going to try the outfit tomorrow and go from there.  May use some lead tape wrapped around the rod butt if I still need some more weight.

Like mentioned I will never get it balanced perfectly but hopefully a couple small adjustments will get it where it's workable.

Really wanted to lengthen the butt an inch or so but decided it was to much trouble at this time.  Thanks for all tips given.
    Jump to: