KISSER BUTTON?

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/30 21:38:02 (permalink)

KISSER BUTTON?

I shot my final round in march madness today.I made it to the money round but didn't do to hot.I noticed in techno that i bury my kisser button into my check making me shoot left and right.I tried the string at the tip of the nose all week but just seem to make the target to far away.This is driving me nuts i need to do something with my anchor point to make it more constant any help would be greatly appericated.

17 Replies Related Threads

RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/03/30 22:46:49 (permalink)
    I used a kisser button that I put to the center of my lips. I made sure my teeth were touching but not clenched. I also ran the string up the center of my chin and my nose. By touching the string with all three-reference spots I had a very consistent anchor point.

The key though is doing the exact same thing with every shot. If there is any variance it is the same as if you changed the rear sight on a gun after each shot. Remember that anchor point can be anywhere you want it but it has to be the same with ever shot.

In archery form and concentration are everything, assuming you have proper equipment, set up and tuning. 

Gook luck!

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/03/31 00:14:54 (permalink)
    Hey chicken how ya been ? Most of the time when using a peep, a kisser is installed as a second reference point. First being the eye, then peep aperture, and then of course the pin. Some times guys have a problem with establishing a proper and consistent anchor point and install a kisser.The proper way to use a kisser is to have it slightly touch the "corner" of your mouth and usually the string barely touches the nose. Of course this varies because not everyone has the same shape and length nose. With this technique you should not throw you shots left or right. Seems like your cheek method is doing exactly that.There are both small and large kissers that are made from soft plastic to hard depending on personal preference.I prefer to tie mine in and not use the metal nocks. Remember adding anything to you string can slow it down a bit. Good luck.

As for the edit, I wanted to congratulate you on making it to the money round.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/03/31 00:44:15
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/03/31 12:00:28 (permalink)
    I been doing good OA. I think i know whats going on it seems that when i pull my bow back and just rest my kisser it's all good but what i'm doing it seems like to me that i'm bending my bow arm and pulling my face closer to the peep sight if this makes any sense.I will have one of the guys down the shop watch me and see what they think.Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/03/31 19:14:23 (permalink)
    It's ok to shoot with a slightly bent arm, many do. Pulling your face in closer to make contact with the kisser sounds like the kisser is not in the right location on your string. Betting your local shop can help you out. Keep us posted. Good luck.
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

I been doing good OA. I think i know whats going on it seems that when i pull my bow back and just rest my kisser it's all good but what i'm doing it seems like to me that i'm bending my bow arm and pulling my face closer to the peep sight if this makes any sense.I will have one of the guys down the shop watch me and see what they think.Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/01 17:16:28 (permalink)
       It may be the way your are standing.  I bet you have hit  your arm too often with the string and have not only started bending your arm but have started to stand facing the target too much. Those will move the string away from your mouth even with the same anchor point.
        Get set up and then move your back foot a bit to the left ( if your right handed) this will turn your body a bit and should bring the string right back to your mouth. Same with the left foot for lefties but move the back foot to the right ( not further away from you)
         Its OK to start moving your head to the button it you find that comphy but be prepared to have to realign your pins as the result.
         Had the same issue -as have many of us -and now dont even wear an arm guard so long as my sleeves are not too bulky. Its all about body position.    
        Similar issues come up when bending and shooting from an elevated  blind. You dont bend foreward toward your feet or a similar problem happens  You have to keep your same stance and bend toward the target to stay aligned.
      Practice- practice
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/01 17:21:26 (permalink)
    BTW- fully agree with the peep sight too-using both will help insure your body position and anchor points
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/01 18:33:18
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/02 11:27:03 (permalink)
    Nope retired guy i never hit my arm.Last year maybe a little bit but i was always rocking the bow to make it level that's when i got the string slap.I think waht the problem is that techno makes you rush yous shots making you punch.I can stand in the yard in shoot really good just pulling through the shot with my thumb release.I need to find a way to shoot techno without punching.If you don't know what techno is it's i video screen you never know when the animal is going to move or what.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/02 11:49:21 (permalink)
         Having to rush a shot under any circumstances really makes for a tough day. Good luck with that.
          Might suggest simplifying the whole system and get down to just a mechanical thing or two. Bow level, arm bent, kisser, peep, body alignment,sight pins, anchor point etc etc--i'd try and simplify the whole thing as much as possible for a quicker and more confident approach.
        Got to the point after a while where it was just one pin, trigger release and peep for hunting and a second pin for indoor targeting. Put the pins mid range and long and used high/low hold on one pin or the other for various distances.
      Sometimes too much good stuff gets in the way of time as you have to menatlly work it out for that important extra second.  TONS of practice with all that stuff to minimize the affect.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/03 02:34:24 (permalink)
    Chicken there is no way to get around it especially with the type release your using. Either take your chance of animal movement and get a low score or maybe go back to a caliper release. Techno's are fun but as you see they teach "bad" habits as far as punching the trigger.Constant push pull isn't bad when you know the target is moving it's when it surprises you that mila second you release. All your releases should be a surprise as you know.Good Luck !
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

Nope retired guy i never hit my arm.Last year maybe a little bit but i was always rocking the bow to make it level that's when i got the string slap.I think waht the problem is that techno makes you rush yous shots making you punch.I can stand in the yard in shoot really good just pulling through the shot with my thumb release.I need to find a way to shoot techno without punching.If you don't know what techno is it's i video screen you never know when the animal is going to move or what.

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/03 09:15:32 (permalink)
    OA my scores went way up since i started using a thumb releases this year in techno.Why would i caliper release help me?It seemed like i really punched my sabertooth in there last year.I also just put a tighter spring my thumb release i can now wrap my thumb around it and rotate my hand to get it to fire like a hinge release.It use to scare me when the bow went off but know it doesn't so does this mean i'm not getting a surprise release or just got use to how it feels?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/03 16:50:24 (permalink)
    Many use the thumb release with back tension for a clean release. This takes more time. A caliper usually isn't used that way by most and many usually just squeeze the trigger. If you are not getting surprised you probably know exactly when its about to release.Many shooters will shoot several of the same release set differently so their mind isn't trained to a specif one.This makes for a clean and smooth, surprised release. Good Luck!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/03 17:48:16 (permalink)
    Techno's are prone to making you punch the trigger. Really hard to get a good smooth send off.

Developed a bad case of target panic from shooting in the Dart system to much.

Congrats on making the money round.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/05 21:32:11 (permalink)
    I finally got back down the shop 2day.We shoot our first round of turkey techno most bullseyes wins.I only shot 12 out of 32.I left about 6 to 8 easy ones on the board.I got my right to left misses figure out but now i'm holding my pin below where i want to hit then flicking the bow up.Everybody told my to shoot back tension it would make you shoot alot better.I been shooting in the yard everyday with a scott black hole hinge.It seems like i'm getting worse.I'm really thinking about finding a coach to learn why i can't hold my pin on what i want to hit.I know all my shots will kill a deer without a doubt but i want to be able to hit what i'm aiming at.I'm so discourage right now but better days are to come.
    rooster
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/05 23:31:38 (permalink)
    chicken if your looking for a coach i dont know where your from but there is a guy that that coached me at a shop in tranfer pa.they call him zep i think nut him and the owner of the shop are top notch shooters and will work with you on everything.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/12 15:25:08 (permalink)
    Just my two cents, but it sounds like you're over thinking it a bit. Relax and rely on your equipment. I'm the same way with archery and golf, once I start thinking too much about it everything goes haywire.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/21 22:01:13 (permalink)
    I use a release but I always anchor the web of my right hand just behind the curve of my jawbone sort of fits me nice and is pretty consistent with my releases being the same form time after time
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: KISSER BUTTON? 2011/04/21 22:06:55 (permalink)
    bulldog1 said it you can psyche yourself out over thinking. I remember asking the question at the tee off 1 day with some friends just as we were hitting out do you inhale or exhale befor you swing It really messed with them and I won the round.   
    Jump to: