good stuff

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/27 22:24:14 (permalink)

good stuff

Looks like some of the guys want a post without "the argument" ' Totally agree -so I'll start off with a favorite hunting story'. Lets just keep this one for nice stuff with nobody jumping all over each other.
     I like to hunt bucks- yea, a young flathead for the table comes home now and again but I like to target bucks and dont care if I spend all season waiting one out. That means lots of preseason scouting and preparation but its a job I enjoy. Like to try and pick out a  particular deer if I can.
    Went two years after one nice guy I had only seen one time for a second or two but whos home range had a corner on a property I had permission to hunt. Found he seemed to leave for the rut and come back late season.
 Lots of long cold or wet days in Rifle and Muzzel trying for him.
   Day before the end of Muzzel a couple of years ago snuck up on him and 2 doe in their beds on a snowy day. At about 40 yds leaned on a tree and put the scope on him and let go .  --Only the cap went off and the croshairs had stayed dead on target--- he was everything I had hoped for old, big bodied and a wide heavy, low rack with many points.
  Well he looked at me and I looked at him then the three of them got up and hopped over the ridge---gone. Have never seen sign of him since.
   While he looked at me and left I chuckled out loud- Hey, it had all worked out perfectly - hunted all season- had a nice time- passed a time or two on other deer-no dragging--all that scouting and waiting had paid off with a great stalk---Perfect season.
   Its the hunting---not the killing.

11 Replies Related Threads

heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: good stuff 2011/03/27 23:50:56 (permalink)
    I've been in school forever so I rarely get the chance to go turkey hunting with my old man, but the last few years I've found time to get out at least once or twice but it's nothing like it was whenever I finished undergrad and actually got to go every day for a while with him.  I can't remember exactly how many years ago it was, but somehow I had a bigger break than usual and I got to go for a few days this time and we had a blast.

He came in and woke me up at about 3:45am to get ready to leave since we had about an hour long drive to where we were going and he wanted to make sure we were there early enough to let things settle down once we got set up (in hindsight, it was pretty darn early... he was excited to go with me for the first time in a while).  Anyway, we get to the spot where we park at about 5am... load up the guns, lock the doors and start up the hill.  We've walked the same path almost every year since I was 12 up to the our spot and never spooked anything, but that day for some reason the turkey's roosted on the opposite side of the hill.  Walking in, we spooked a couple off the roost and my heart sank because I thought "there goes that chance."  Anyway, we keep going and get up to the old farm gate and that big old oak tree, about 4.5-5ft wide at the base... big enough for both of us to sit behind and look over the field.  It actually works out good because I'm left handed and can look around one side, and he's right handed so he gets the other side.  He tells me to sit at the tree while he puts the decoys out in the field about 25-30 yards out from where we'll be sitting.  I stood behind the tree and watched his mini-maglite as it litup the pegs for the decoys and couldn't help but wonder if we'd scared away all of the birds that were within calling distance of our spot.  He finished putting the decoys out and comes back to the tree and explained to me how to sit and where the turkeys should come from like he already had the last 8 times he talked to me about going on the phone before I got home. 

Day started breaking and I'm hunkered behind the tree, staring through the gate at the field and the silhouettes of the decoys against the damp grass... next thing I knew, there was a gobble about 50 yards to my left side (opposite of the side we scared the birds from on the way in).  My heart starts going, dad turned and hit me on the shoulder then pointed in the direction of the gobble.  He starts calling with his paddle box call that he bought in the 80s, the bird answers... he calls again, the bird answers.  My heart was pounding as it got lighter, and lighter outside to the point where I could see the green grass of the field.  Each time he'd call, the bird would answer from the roost.  After about 25 minutes of the back and forth, I catch a glimpse of the gobbler as it flies from the roost to the edge of the field just out of view due to the terrain.  I whispered to dad that it was off the roost and flew toward the field and he kept calling.  Before we knew it, I could see the head bobbing just over the crest of the hill and every time it would gobble, it would disappear.  Back and forth, back and forth it just kept pacing until it finally saw the decoys out in the field then it started walking in slowly at full strut.  My heart was pounding, my safety was off on the gun, and I was poised to shoot once it made it to the decoy spread.

Next thing I knew, another gobbler started answering the dad's calls and came trotting off the top of the hill about 125 yards out in the field.  Dad told me to stay put behind the tree because he could see this one had a long beard and I had yet to see how big the beard was on the one that was already strutting in the field.  He called a few more times and the first bird came in about 15 yards in front of the tree we were sitting behind... so close that I could hear it's feathers shift as it strutted.  Dad whispers "I'm going to shoot the long beard on 3.  When I do, you stand up and shoot the other one before it runs out of the field." and I give him the thumbs up.  1...2...3... he shoots and gets the long beard in the decoy spread, I stand up and shoot at the flying gobbler (probably 6-7" beard) and miss horribly.  I'm disappointed but I run out into the field and grab his turkey for him and bring it back to the tree.  We're sitting there talking about it and looking at it when out of nowhere we hear a gobble pretty close.  We both get set against the tree again and he starts calling.  Fifteeen to twenty minutes later, another bird comes strutting down the hillside to the decoy spread.  He asks if I can see it in the decoys and I tell him "No, I can't see the decoys or else I'll be out in the open and he'll see me."  He tells me to take my safety off and inch around the tree slowly and be ready to shoot.  So I do and before I know it, I see the gobbler out in the spread and take the shot.  Gobbler down, 8.5" beard with inch spurs.

Two gobblers, 9.5" and 8.5" beards... both with inch long spurs... dead within 40 minutes of each other.  I'll never forget the look on his face and him yelling "I love it when a plan comes together." and shaking my hand.  We made it out of the woods and back home before 9am to take pictures of that day, and he still tells the story to everyone who comes into his office and looks at the picture of both of us holding our long beards up.  Favorite hunting day to date, even more special than my first buck.  Sorry that was so long.

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: good stuff 2011/03/28 02:50:58 (permalink)
    I had just finished up finals at Lock Haven University in the fall of 92 semester. It was the last friday of Buck season. So Dad called and we made our final plans to head to camp to hunt the last saturday of buck and the first day of doe on Monday. Our camp was near Kane and as I left, one of my teammates (from Ridgeway) made a comment that I was crazy, there were 4800 homes without electricity due to the blizzard that was going on outside. I told him that we didn't have electric at camp anyway, so it was no big deal.

As I headed west on 80 to the Pennfield exit, the State Police were closing 80 behind me and when I arrived at the Pennfield Exit it was drifted shut. I got out of my 79 malibu hot rod and surveyed the situation. The state trooper got out with me and said the following.
    "I never said this, but you don't have much choice, get off here or take a chance that we can make it to Clarion". I didn't have time to drive to clarion as there was well over a foot and a half of new snow on the ground already and what normally was a 2.5 hour drive had already taken 2 and I wasn't even half way there. I went for it and just when I assumed I was buried in that drift on the exit and would be found by an unsuspecting plow truck sometime later that weekend, I popped out of the drift and onto route 153. Three and a half hours later I was in Kane and met my dad and brothers.

Dad had a full size 85 Jimmy and when we arrived at the unmaintained road back in to our camp it was plowed shut already. We put the chains on all 4 tires and he said "Let me see if I can move in that stuff if I get in there".
    We did get in and found that the snow was pushing up over the hood, so we had to use a spotlight to see on the way back in the 4 mile drive on that mountain road. Compounding the vision issues, was the snow covering the grill of the blazer and it began to over heat. We found out later that we had 47 inches of snow in places. But one thing we noticed on the way in was that the deer were using the logging roads almost exclusively because it was so hard for them to walk anywhere else. We arrived at camp at around 2:30 am.

The following morning Dad let us sleep in as I had been awake for almost 3 days completing finals. We ate breakfast and devised a plan. There were three main roads running along the bottom of the valley where our camp is. The one we drove in on, one about 400 yards up the side of the mountain, that runs parallel to the main one and an old narrow gauge railroad track that follows the creek in the bottom of the valley. Dad had already scored a nice 8 pt in archery, however my two younger brothers and I had not been so lucky. My brothers and I would each still hunt along one of these old trails. I decided to hunt the abandoned railroad track in the bottom. As I made the 1/2 mile walk to where I would cut down and begin my hunt, I noticed that the snow was deep enough that it was falling into the belly pocket of my hooded sweatshirt (I am about 6'3" if that gives you some idea of what we were walking in). As I approached the point where I would cut down to the creek, I saw some deer cross the road about 150 yards in front of me. I decided to pass where they had crossed and cut down where I originally planned as that old trail should bring me across thier tracks. When I made my way down the trail I was amazed at how the heavy snow in the trees had made hemlock branches that were previously out of browse range, suddenly available to the deer. At that moment I saw thier tracks and them at the same time. They were feeding on the drooping hemlock boughs. I leaned back to sit and steady my self and found that standing and sitting in the snow was only about a 3 inch difference. It was however more movement than they were willing to put up with. I got the scope on them just in time to see a rack trailing the other two deer as they struggled up the steep hillside in the snow.

I knew if I could stay on them without getting them mixed in with some other deer I had a good chance to take this buck. I started up the hillside and jumped them several times without getting a shot. The third time I caught them feeding again, but after scoping the two deer I could see, I found no horns. I watched them for about 5 minutes waiting for the buck to appear, but nothing. I pulled the gun down and that's when I saw him, about 100 yards below the two does on the hillside sneaking down and away. He stopped just before a spot where he would dissapear down over the hill again and all I could see in the scope was a patch of about 4 ribs and the very top of his head and antlers. At 110 yards offhand it was by far the most difficult shot this 22 year old had ever even thought about taking, but I also knew that in this snow that If I drew blood, I would get him. I took the shot at the softball size target and lost him as the snow in the surrounding trees fell from the concussion of my .308 blast. Surveying the scene I couldn't tell what happened and was getting very disheartened quickly, it was a tough shot. I walked out to where I thought he was and couldn't even find his tracks, I scoured the area and found nothing, but was fairly sure he headed downhill, so I decided to drop down to the logging road 75 yards below and pick up his trail where he crossed it at.

Finding no tracks crossing the logging road, I decided to cut back up into the woods to where I was when I shot at him. I made it about 20 yards and could see an antler sticking up out of the snow ahead of me....Sideways!

The buck had only gone about 10 yards from where I shot him and I had passed below him by about 15 yards when I first walked out to look.....

He was a 20" 10 point and until just a few years ago, the largest we ever shot out of our camp. I remember dragging in 4 feet of snow and when Dad came down to see "what the he** was going on down there", I buried the deer's head in the snow. He asked if it was a nice one and I responded "Scrubhead". I will never forget the look on his face when he pulled that deer's head out of the snow.....It was probably eerily similar to the one I had on my face last spring when my son shot his first spring turkey, but that is another story.

My uncle parked at the end of the road that saturday night and tobboganed his two daughters in for monday's doe hunt. He arrived for one heck of a party as we sat and listened to "Solid Gold Saturday Night" on an old car radio hooked up to a car battery that sat on the mantle of one of my favorite places in the world.
    post edited by MuskyMastr - 2011/03/28 02:54:27

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: good stuff 2011/03/28 08:24:40 (permalink)
    This is a article I wrote for Crossbow Magazine.  The story of my 2009 archery buck.  http://www.crossbowmagazine.com/gs-longest%20recovery.html

My rifle is a black rifle
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: good stuff 2011/03/28 14:31:22 (permalink)
    Good stuff fellas.

Although i love hunting and will give it up only when im thrown into the ground, and i love to read others stories, Im not all that sentimental about my past hunts or get really emotional, so that prevents me from being a very good writer im afraid.

Im sure one day i'll look back on all the things ive done and experiences had with family and friends, but these days im not much into reflecting on the past and more into "planning" future hunts and making more memories and looking towards the next season..be it spring gobbler, archery whatever.

My friends, family members and I have taken many game animals of various types here in Pa and other states, but just as importantly many many things that we've laughed about, jokes, mishaps, and great successes as well as some very low lows. I wouldnt even know where to start anyway. Id like to think I'll have plenty of time for reflection myself, when some of those i hunt with now are gone, and im towards the end of my hunting career myself.

Back in my late teens/early 20's when I used to visit my grandpap and we'd sit on the porch alot of summer evenings, me drinking a couple cold ones (which he'd half heartedly beeotch about lol), and he'd tell stories for hours of hunting and trapping from much different time... decades past... over a lifetime of nearly 90 years before he passed away. You could see the emotion as he relived it all. That was good stuff.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/03/28 14:37:20
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: good stuff 2011/03/31 23:30:37 (permalink)
    Hey Wayne-
     All the sudden youll say to yourself -" Hey, I have way more hunts behind me than ahead of me"- then the reminising will start.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: good stuff 2011/04/01 00:59:34 (permalink)
    Interesting. How long have you been bow hunting and how many bucks have you shot in these urban areas around the burg ?
    ORIGINAL: dpms

This is a article I wrote for Crossbow Magazine.  The story of my 2009 archery buck.  http://www.crossbowmagazine.com/gs-longest%20recovery.html

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: good stuff 2011/04/01 01:09:49 (permalink)
    My 2 favorite hunts happened this past season. No great drama or adventure, but two I'll remember forever.

As you may have read on previous threads, I got into duck hunting about 6 years ago. Got tired of hunting for dwindling populations of rabbits and pheasants, and I've never liked eating squirrels, so I don't hunt them anymore. A couple of friends of mine are very casual waterfowl hunters, and they took me out on an early season goose hunt. We didn't get any shooting, but it was new and was pretty exciting for me.

It was in the lull between archery season and deer season, that I decided to try duck hunting on my own. The farm I hunted has a nice lake that's about 4 acres in size. During the last few weeks of archery season, I would see and hear mallards coming in and out of the lake from my tree stand.

So I decided that since I had a box of steel shot and a federal waterfowl stamp, that I'd give these ducks a whirl during Thanksgiving week. I had no calls, no decoys and a mutt that had some retriever in her and had retrieved some doves for me in the past. If she wasn't game, there was an old canoe on the lake that I'd use to get the ducks I shot. The night before the hunt, the temperature plunged into the mid 20's and snow was coming in sideways. I hunkered down in some marsh grass right before first light. Almost as if on cue at legal shooting time, a pair of mallards set their wings right in front of me. I broke the silence with 3 wild shots, and the lake exploded with ducks flying every direction as my dog high tailed it back to the car. At least I had the canoe. I went through almost the entire box of shells that morning as they drifted back in pairs and singles and didn't kill a single duck, but I was hooked.

I got the gear - calls and decoys - and a black lab over the next couple of seasons and got a little more serious about it. I never did great - killing a handful of ducks and geese each season was quite an accomplishment for me. And I had never killed a double, let alone a triple.

Until this past season. About 100 yards below the lake is a little pond that the owners had dammed up for their cattle. The cattle don't use it anymore, and it's become somewhat of a honey hole for the ducks at the right time of the season. I set my decoys and got settled about 1/2 hour before shooting time. As the darkness slowly gave way to the light, pairs of mallards were drifting into this little puddle - about 25 in all. If you've never heard whistling wings in the dark, you don't know what you're missing. The ducks settled on the far side of the pond, about 40 yards away. After shooting time, I gave a few soft chuckles and calls to bring them over so I could jump shoot them.

The lead duck was a beautiful drake mallard, and as he rounded a bend in the shoreline, he made me out and lifted off. I dropped him and as the rest of the ducks began to figure out what was going on, I picked out and dropped two more drake mallards as they lifted off. Hank did his thing beautifully and I sat and just soaked up the moment - my first ever triple on any game species. I could have waited out their return and filled my limit of mallards, but it was such a perfect morning already that we just packed up and headed for home.

My 7 year old son Isaac enjoys going on the occasional duck hunt with me, and he was pretty excited about my success. We couldn't hunt that farm the next morning, but I promised I'd take him to another pond, just about 1/2 mile down the road from our house. We arrived about 20 minutes before shooting time, and I set out about 1/2 dozen decoys. We huddled together against a tree, behind a makeshift blind.

Just after legal shooting time, I heard the whistling wings behind us, and a pair of mallards flew over our heads, across the pond, and did a hard 180 to set their wings to land in our decoys. My first shot was off, but on the second, I dropped the drake mallard. Hank fetched him up, and brought him back and dropped him at Isaac's feet. Isaac picked up the bird, and said, "Hey dad, what's this silver thing on his leg?" I couldn't believe my luck - I shot my first banded bird with Isaac at my side.

We waited a few weeks for the certificate and found out this duck was banded just south of St. James Bay in northern Ontario in 2006 as a duckling. Almost 900 miles away. That certificate hangs proudly on Isaac's wall.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: good stuff 2011/04/01 01:42:10 (permalink)
    Father and son stories are some of my favorites, oh and daughters also.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: good stuff 2011/04/01 07:27:15 (permalink)
    I have 2 both being with my oldest daughter.It was the spring of 2008 one of my favorite times of the year.I watched 5 longbeards for over a month.So the night before me and the oldman went in and setup the blind on a tram road between the woods and a corn field.At dark i owl hooted got 2 to gobble they where right i wanted them to be.So the next we got in the blind early my daughter first hunt.AT day break they where gobbling there heads off she was saying dad did you hear that i said yeah but you got to be quite.The old man told she would kill one by 7:30 so at 7:30 she said pap i didn't get one.I yelped 3 times on a ship wreck he gobbled by this time i had to pee so bad i couldn't hold it so i steped outside the blind to take a pee.I purred he gobble even closer then here he comes down the tram right to the full struter we had setup at 13 yards my little girl laid the smacked down on that longbeard.So lets fast forward to last year.My wife takes a vaca in every april to have the girls birthday parties.So i'll go every morning she's on vacation to line up some birds.I watched 2 longbeard everyday last april up till youth day.I set the blind the night before.We got in it why before daylight.Well the birds decided to take a different route this morning go figure.So my daughter fell a sleep when the action slow down.About one hour later the old man said wake her up here they come.2 longbeards running to the jake breeding a hen decoy setup.I had the dekes to close maybe 8 yards.I told her to shoot she did they just walked away.I looked at her and the old man then we all just started to laugh like littlt school girls.These probably will be the best two hunts i will ever have so guys and girls if you have kids take them hunting it will be some of the greatest moments in your life.One more thing we have the first hunt on video so any time i want to relive it i just put in the videotape PRICELESS
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: good stuff 2011/04/01 07:51:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Interesting. How long have you been bow hunting and how many bucks have you shot in these urban areas around the burg ?

Really been concentrating on the urban areas for the last 10 years.  Been bowhunting for about 25 years.  Have shot a quite a few does around Pittsburgh and 4 bucks recently there.  Hunt all over SW Pa.  Last years buck was from southern Washington County, though.   
    post edited by dpms - 2011/04/01 07:53:20

My rifle is a black rifle
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: good stuff 2011/04/01 08:16:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Hey Wayne-
    All the sudden youll say to yourself -" Hey, I have way more hunts behind me than ahead of me"- then the reminising will start.

So true. I am 30 years young. But now I have child, so I may have less hunts in front of me now then in the past. I used to hunt alot. As it stands now, I'll only be able to hunt Saturdays this coming year. I should be able to handle the "little" fishing time just fine but I got a few months to get that hunting time corrected.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: