New to Boo

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/19 20:23:27 (permalink)

New to Boo

Today I picked up my first split cane fly rod. It's a rod that looks to be in decent condition, though it has been restored by someone. The cane itself seems to be clean and free of any sort of flaw, and the wraps are tight and complete. Unfortunately, whoever restored it failed to include any information as to line weight rating.

I just have a few questions for the community: are there any warning signs to watch for as far as excessive wear on the rod? I don't want to take it out and break it because of some sort of wear and tear that I missed. Secondly, without any line weight information, I'm planning on starting off trying it with my DT1F line and working up from there. I have a few lines to try in 1wt, 2 @ 3wt, 2 @ 4wt, 5wt, 6wt, and 2 @ 7wt, though, from having cast a few boo rods before, I'm fairly certain that this is a 3, 4, or 5wt.

Finally, is there any advice or information you have for a new boo owner? Tips for care? Casting or fishing advice, etc? Prior to this, I've only owned graphite and a few glass rods.

Thanks in advance.

16 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/19 21:54:39 (permalink)
    Cold, My rules for boo: Before fishing it gently flex and twist the rod and listen for any pulling tearing or popping. Look for cracks in the finish. Regular waxing with a good paste wax really helps. No "Hero Shots" of the rod laying in the water beside a fish. Keep the road as dry as possible. Always store in a warm dry place. Never store the rod when assembled, This can lead to a 'set" tip or mid.
    To find out the approximate line weigh of the rod , , simply weigh the rod (without reel) and round the weight of the rod DOWN to the next nearest whole oz. (ie: a 4.75 oz rod is a 4 wt.) Bamboo casts Sllooowwwllyy don't try to rush a cast with bamboo. Feel the rod load and give it time. Sort of like fishing at half speed. Don't shock set the hook with bamboo, but you can pull fairly hard. Watch for nicks and chips. One of the things I have seen often is when a person gets a hook snagged while nymph fishing with a split shot. They pull the line free and the shot smacks the rod tip like a BB. Sure fire way to get a split tip.
    Watch for de-lamination, and softness in the rod. This can be re-glued if caught early. And just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

By alll means NEVER expose a bamboo rod to Lady Ga GA music. It causes them to self immolate.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2011/03/19 21:56:54

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 06:42:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Indy for your advice on this. I only own one boo - but i did notice right away - like Indy says - it is a very slow rod. Seems like I could drink a cup of coffee waiting for the line to straighen out behind me. You can definatly feel the rod load up and they lay a soft line on the water. Enjoy it Cold and do what Indy says. Congrats to ya

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 10:55:58 (permalink)
    Not able to offer up any advice, but I'll second the congrats on the pick-up! Hope it works out for you and I hope you enjoy it. Between your posts and your blog, Cold, it's obvious your enthusiasm is deep and genuine. Good luck!

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 11:30:04 (permalink)
    Sounds like it'll be a nice little trout rod or maybe even some river smallmouths... good luck and have fun...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 12:32:54 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

Indy, a few more questions: I think this may be a repair job too, as its an 8'0" rod, but the butt and tip sections are 3' and the mid section is 2'...or is this normal?

Also, the male ferrule at the bottom of the tip section is not well-connected to the blank. It appears that maybe the wraps have like cracked or something. When I assemble the rod, there's no audible creaking or ticking, and the ferrules themselves are surprisingly secure, but I think I'm seeing a tiny amount of play between the blank and the ferrule itself. Should I avoid fishing it until this is addressed?

Also, is a butt-over-tip ferrule common? It's something I've never seen before, but I've never really paid attention to the ferrule on the few boo rods I've cast.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 12:51:14 (permalink)
    Mark, there were very few asymetrical rods ever made. 98% of the rods should have all three pieces the same length. Again, in 98 % of the cases I've seen the upper section is always male and the lower female. If you can stand to be without it for a while you could ship it down and I'll try to get it ready for trout season, or I'll ship you a "loaner" till I get yours fixed. I have a few old mid sections on hand that I can replace yours with (if necessary). All it'll cost you is the price of the shipping if you want me to look/evaluate. USPS has some great prices on Priority shipping. Pm me.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 20:25:58 (permalink)
    Hey indy. I have 3 bamboo blanks that range from 5-7 weights. They are definitely quality blanks; That my father bought maybe 15 years ago.they aren't marked... If not tied, does your same rule apply for finding out the weight? I have plenty of experience tying rods; but Im looking in to tying these boo blanks up and I could use a pointer or two. Thanks in advance.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 22:07:32 (permalink)
    Well, I took the boo out today for some wild brookies, figuring they wouldn't tax the rod's integrity too much. I used my reel spooled with a WF4F "Sylk" line, and while it worked, I'm thinking this is either a 4 or a 5wt, as it didnt seem to be loading fully, but at the same time, my longest casts were in the 20-30 foot range. At the long end of that, it was casting beautifully once I slowed down my casting motions.

Indy, I'm thinking this is probably an 'everyday' rod form the days toward the end of boo's time as the go-to material. The reel seat is pretty awful, being just an uplocking seat of two metal bands (the top one affixed with pins) and the lower one free, but tightened into place with a screw from the bottom. Not a threaded band...literally a screw that screws up into the bottom of the reel seat. For that matter, the reel seat insert and the screw are both made of burgundy colored plastic.

That said, I doubt it's one of those super-rare asymmetrical rods, but it seems more like a normal rod that had its share of wear and tear, and got rebuilt so that the owner could keep fishing. I didn't spend a lot for it, so I'm okay with that.

By the way...it caught it's first fish for me...and a beauty at that:

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/20 23:34:24 (permalink)
    Dime bright. Yes that is a good rule of thumb for a rod. I could get in to tapers and opposing node construction and determining tip ratio. But without actually seeing and flexing a blank it's hard to determine the exact weight. You could have a 7' rod that was quite thick and another that was thin and they would be within one ounce of each other so the rule is a good one. That, and a longer rod is going to weigh more and could be a lighter weight because of the thinness of the tapers. Sobe sure you compare apples to oranges. LOL. When wrapping a bamboo rod one good thing to remember is the more guides the better the rod will perform (within reason). I like the 6", 6.5, 7, 7.5 inch spacing starting from the tip. for a lighter weight 5, 5.5, 6. ; is a good spacing.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/21 05:32:23 (permalink)
    Thank you. I have to get my components and everything still. This advice will help me with that. Thanks again...
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/21 11:51:25 (permalink)
    Nice feesh, Cold. Beautiful colors. EHC or Stimmy?
    post edited by mohawksyd - 2011/03/21 11:52:09

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/21 13:09:41 (permalink)
    nice wild one there Cold

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/21 13:11:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Syd. It's a #14 stimmy, only fly you need for wild trout in PA.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/21 19:51:56 (permalink)
    Thats great ! Those boo,s are heavy after awhile.
    Fighting one on those is like pulling in a down rigger bal.lol

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/21 19:57:45 (permalink)
    Don't forget John yours is a very good 6 wt. You could use yours for steel if you take it easy.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to Boo 2011/03/22 19:13:35 (permalink)
    Hey indy my blank is a #5 7'3"... I plan on having fun with small mouths this summer once tied. Here's my question... the water I will be targetting has the potential of hooking up with an atlantic or a summer run steelhead. I have hooked plenty of large fish on a five weight before and landed as well, but is there a difference with bambo? If I hook a largere fish will it be able to handle it? It seems as if it could to me, but Id appreciate your opinion. Thanks in advance
    Jump to: