Guided hunts?

Author
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/08 19:15:44 (permalink)

Guided hunts?

Has anyone here ever been on a guided hunt with a good outfitter?  I'm looking to book some sort of trip in the upcoming years and want to start doing some research.  The type of trip completely varies...could be the midwest, Canada, or even Alaska.

Anyone have good experiences to share?

14 Replies Related Threads

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/08 19:16:15 (permalink)
    might even like to do some sort of combo trip
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 08:02:58 (permalink)
    Saying what you'd like to hunt might help.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 11:56:39 (permalink)
    I can guide you on Pymy,if you need eyes.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 12:40:49 (permalink)
    It's not a cheap hunt but if your looking for a remote hunt out of cabins look up Whatshan Guides and Outfitters out of Nakusp British Columbia. They have a large concession and can put you on most any big game---deer,bear,elk,moose,goat,lion. I never saw a Griz until I hunted with them. Now I've seen several and two a lot closer than I ever wanted.
    flip stick
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 14:09:47 (permalink)
    If you are looking for a pack in hunt or fishing trip in Idaho Elk Springs Outfitters is one of the best I found you pack in on mules stay in large tents and the food is great. I have hunted with him a few times an have not been disapointed he will go out of his way to make your stay enjoyable. I even had him back here fishing steelhead with me look him up on the web.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 14:20:51 (permalink)
    A friend of a friend contacted Jim Shockey for a moose hunt. A retirement gift from his wife. Only a mere $20,000.00 and you probably won't get to hunt with Jim, she was told...WF
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 18:06:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

I can guide you on Pymy,if you need eyes.

no need Tuna....the fish that bit your tactics back in the 70's have long been dead
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 18:07:55 (permalink)
    thanks for the info guys....I don't have anything specific in mind that I want to hunt.  I merely want to hunt some sort of big game outside of Pennsylvania and want to combine it with a fishing experience.  I know it's not going to be cheap so it's a few years down the road, but a little research early on never hurt anybody.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/09 21:55:58 (permalink)
    Lot of guys go to Canada and hunt Caribou and fish some great natives ( get to a few pounds) even when the fishing seasons closed i hear you can catchem all day and release- Havent done it yet myself but family has and if you have a group you can take a outpost pretty reasonable from what they have experienced. Understand they can get two caribou .
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/10 07:42:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

thanks for the info guys....I don't have anything specific in mind that I want to hunt.  I merely want to hunt some sort of big game outside of Pennsylvania and want to combine it with a fishing experience.  I know it's not going to be cheap so it's a few years down the road, but a little research early on never hurt anybody.

Early research is good.  Since you don't seem to know what you want to hunt, start here -- how much do you want to spend? 

Keep in mind that the outfitter/guide is only part of the cost.  There are tips (10% of the fee traditionally), travel (airfare, hotels, rental cars, fuel if you are driving), non-hunting time (travel) meals, and equipment costs. 

If you are hunting something that you don't normally hunt that can mean a suitable rifle for the task, practice and hunting ammunition, clothes for a different climate, boots for a different climate, licenses, etc.  All in all, the outfitter/guide portion is about 50-75% of the total cost.

As an example, a year or two ago, my wife and I were considering a four animal safari in South Africa.  We had the guns (from other trips to other places for other species), had the clothes, etc.  The only three cost centers were the safari itself, travel, and return of any trophies.  The safari itself was less than a 1 on 2 guided elk hunt here in the US, so that wasn't an issue.  The return of the trophies wasn't a problem either -- it cost the same to ship hide and horns as mounts because it is sea freight and is based on the size of the container, not weight.  Getting all four mounted in Africa would be less than getting one mounted in the US.  But the airfare was the issue.  I saw it for as little as $1,500 per person one day and as much as $4,300 the very next day -- and I was looking 6 months out, not short term.  At $1,500, the trip was doable.  At the other amounts (anything over $2,000 per person, the airfare was as much as the safari) it was not.

By having the amount you want to spend in mind, you can eliminate a lot of trips. And remember -- you get what you pay for.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/03/10 07:51:23

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/10 09:42:12 (permalink)
    I've got no problem saving up 5K or more and going that's why I'm very open.  I'm realistic in knowing that I'll probably only do it once in a lifetime so I'll make sure the trip is well worth it.  Thanks for the info though.  I shot a .270 so it's my understanding that will take down just about anything (maybe not a lion or an elephant).

did you end up going to South Africa and getting anything?  I watch that hunting show Track Across Africa pretty often and it seems like it would be a blast.  I don't know how I feel about a water buffalo charging me though.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/10 10:23:53 (permalink)
    Actually we did not go.  The constant flucuation in airfare made the price too variable for my liking.  In the end, I did not think it was worth the price.  We were not looking at dangerous game -- just stuff with horns.

I dislike saying this, but you aren't going to get much for a total price of $5,000 -- as hard as that seems to be.  If the guide portion of the trip is 50% of the total cost that means you are only looking at booking a $2,500 outfitter.  If the guide portion is 75% that means that you are looking at booking a $3,750 outfitter.  Do a search and see what you get for that.  You will be very disappointed.

Here is the link for a caribou hunt that I recall looking at in the past -- since you were looking at some type of combo deal.

http://www.clubchambeaux.com/?sport=hunting&langue=en&section_id=4

Keep in mind that the pricing does not include transportation to the pick-up spot, gratuities, or other expenses.

Good luck!
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/03/10 10:32:58

Triple B
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/15 07:33:29 (permalink)
    Save your pennies for a little longer if need be but - GO TO AFRICA! Airfare is indeed the kicker in the whole deal but even at that, hunt value for your dollar can't be beat. Went to Namibia 2 years ago in early June. Hunted light 'till dark for 10 straight days - no high fence, all indigenous animals, saw an unbelievable number of critters both hunted and not, got treated like kings, learned about and experienced new cultures, made new friends and generally had the time of our lives. We hunted in the NW corner of Namibia a few hundred miles from the coast. Fishing would be an option there if you were set on that. Shot a bull and cow gemsbok, hartmans zebra, kudu and a springbok. Had euro mounts of horned critters and 2 hides done there and shipped back. All in including airfare & critters back was just under 10K. A lot of money for sure but if you're truly talking about a once in a lifetime trip it's hard to beat. I know guys that spend near that every couple of years in their quest for an Elk. To each his own and I hope to hunt out west someday too but would have a hard time not applying any money I'd spend on that returning to Africa.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Guided hunts? 2011/03/16 07:33:20 (permalink)
    Triple B,

I do not disagree with you on the Africa thing.  If it were just me going, the extreme flucuations in airfare would have been a concern, but not a show stopper.  However, because my wife was going to hunt as well, any swings in price were times two.  That meant that at different times while I was checking, the price of the total trip could have gone up by as much as $4000 to $6000.  It became a chicken or the egg thing -- do I book the trip and hope the airfare for those dates didn't raise the price of the total door-to-door by 33% or did I book the airfare (I saw it change as quickly as within an hour or two) and take the chance that the outfitter still had that date availabe. 

Jump to: