Walleye stocking group formed

Author
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/08 11:49:42 (permalink)

Walleye stocking group formed

A group of anglers is getting organized in order to stock the Upper Alleghany river with walleye; from irvine to the gates of the kinzua dam.

We would appreciate all the support and advice we could get. I know many people avidly fish jet boats in starbrick, wade in warren or chase walleyes in the early summer at the tailwaters; your support (even if you live a long ways away) will be critical to our success.

Our first meeting will be at the Warren Eagles Club March 19,2011 at 7pm. pm me with your email address and I will keep you informed of future plans.

12 Replies Related Threads

bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/08 16:40:13 (permalink)
    Good news for you guys. While looking for fish in shallows @ night with a headlamp I saw lots of 3-7" walleyes on the middle allegheny last fall. Should have been all natural reproduction.
    Kudos for making a good situation better.
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/08 19:04:59 (permalink)
    we need those small ones to get bigger!!!
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/09 08:36:26 (permalink)
    No, this is exactly what isn't happening at the tailwaters; Bubblegum.

in the shallows we don't dozens of little eyes and when you used to run into little schools of 6-10" walleye you now are lucky to catch one at all. The tailwaters used to be very famous for holding schools of 14.5" eyes. Now they HAVE grown and are not being replaced. all those little walleyes are the future of the fishery here, and there are so very few. TastyTrout in this reach of the river, this is a good Time for trophy walleye. We're catching them bigger than ever before. But we don't catch many little ones and the fishery seems ready for a definite crash.

If that happens the tailwaters (and areas immediately downstream) Might only hold the walleyes that Migrate from areas downstream and this is truly insufficient for the fishing pressure that is up here.

this ISN'T "making a good situation better"; this is more like "preserving a fishery"; and if we don't act soon maybe it'll be like "restoring a fishery".

One thing to keep in mind, There's millions of stocked trout at the tailwaters of all sizes and they are stocked annual and in quantity, that is pressure on walleye fry and fingerling that Isn't found in places much further south than warren. Because of this, I really think the whole spec regs area below the dam should be managed very differently than the rest of the alleghany. Its Not the same ecosystem.

even if you fish much further downstream you should be aware of the problem, for we could really use all the support and help that we can get. Stocking walleyes is a very expensive proposal. This is much bigger project than the typical trout coop. Walleye are quite tricky to grow and this is big water to fill.
    post edited by jolie - 2011/03/09 08:42:37
    Icefisherman52
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/09 10:30:48 (permalink)
    I have noticed a definite downturn of young walleye at the tailwaters Jolie. I only caught one 10 incher this year the rest were in the 18-25 inch range. I'm glad you are taking this into your hands because the fish commission doesn't seem concerned.  
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/10 17:17:06 (permalink)
    I see what you are saying Jolie. The area I saw this is south of Warren but well above the dammed section of the Allegheny. There is trout stocking in streams close by but it is nothing like the trout population in the tailwaters. I hope you guys accomplish what you are setting out to do. Good luck and when it is more convienent for me I'll attend a meeting.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/10 20:45:09 (permalink)
    is a person allowed to stock fish on their own in a public waterway ? I thought maybe the fish commision would frown upon this as to not knowing the health of the fish being stocked might introduce something bad to waterway. just saying ......i don't know ....just a thought
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/11 08:39:58 (permalink)
    Troutslammer, a private individual is most definitely NOT allowed to stock gamefish of any sort onto a public waterway.

this is a long term, and expensive proposition. we would make great effort to involve the fish commission. Not only do they have to approve it, they also have considerable expertise and experience that could help us get the most for our money.

we also have to get a clearer idea of what the fish commission intends to do about this section of the river. there are quite a few interesting decisions they want to make about our section of the river, according to the three rivers management plan.
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/11 11:36:23 (permalink)
    Our old tackle shop stocked a section of Pine Creek in Alleghey County in the Fall. We called our Regional office of the PFBC and let them know our plan and we quickly got an ok. We just had to let them know when we were stocking the fish and they would patrol that stretch. Rather informal but Pine Creek trout management isn't the same as the Three Rivers Management Program.
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/23 10:30:37 (permalink)
    Jolie' How did the meeting go?
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/23 12:07:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for asking!

the meeting went well. A small group of 4-5 locals bantered (mostly) at the meeting.

we all agreed that the situation is serious and that we are all on the same page. before any private stocking goes though we really need to push for the fish commission to reconsider the main walleye stocking (at least in our section of the river). A small stocking of even adult fish isn't nearly to have the impact of the restoration of an annual 30,000 fry.

The fish commission got wind of the meeting and sent an email explaining that there was to be another assessment in 2011 and stocking prior to that would be a bad idea, basically adding fish to the mix just as the fish commission is considering future plans.

we are impressed that the fish commission was willing to work with us and agree that next steps is to urge the fish commission to resume stocking. The key will be to seek as much publicity as possible and get a big enough group to get the attention of the fish commission.

We're even reaching out to groups like Trout Unlimited; whom we're hoping they will support our group as a conservation/restoration effort similar to many that they've done.

an official letter stating our concerns and a name are being worked out as we speak.

At some point in the future we intend to invite the fish commission to give a presentation about walleye to our group. At THAT meeting membership will be key. Basically the more members we can get to the meeting the more seriously the fish commission will take us..

IN short, Even if you've done little walleye fishing in the waters below the dam, we hope to have your support. Think about it this way; If the fishing public goes to bat for kinzua river walleye anglers, the fish commission then will take anglers seriously; and they will think carefully before they discontinue stocking pressured waterways. we NEED to speak up, cause all they accountants will be telling them to slash stocking programs.

if they hide behind beaucratic indefinite deadlines then yes, we do need to act.

we might also want to urge visitors to reconsider before harvesting trophy individuals once the season resumes. I would consider a trophy walleye as any over 20". the smaller ones taste better anyway.

post edited by jolie - 2011/03/23 13:20:00
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/03/23 13:18:05 (permalink)
    The PFBC, John Arway included, Is very good with groups, listening to and considering their goals. I belong to the Moraine Musky Assoc and along with coming to our meetings, listening and giving presentations it seems like the PFBC is considering our goal of an increased size limit for lake Arthur. A lot of this has to do with dedication and factual research of the founders Howard Wagner and Brian Boyer but the credit goes beyond them to other members efforts and everyone showing up and expressing their intrest in these goals when the PFBC will be at the meeting.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Walleye stocking group formed 2011/04/03 12:58:53 (permalink)
    good luck with everything jolie...sound like you are really trying to do something positive

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    Jump to: