Looking for a little help

Author
stradic1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/08 08:57:28 (permalink)

Looking for a little help

I have posted this in a couple of other forums hoping for some help.

Hi all, I am very mad right now so please bear with me. I bought a 14 foot boat that was in poor condition from a guy for 250.00 and put alot of money into it to get it back to great condition. I payed to have it and the trailer (got it for 100 and am happy with it) registered and the boat commission sent a letter that they won't register the boat because it was from North Carolina and they need an old registration card for the boat. After many months of trying the North Carolina DNR (They were great) sent the boat commission a card for the boat and told them that they did not even require a title when the boat was there.
          So the Pa Boat Commission A**HOLES decide they still won't register the boat until they have a paper trail of all the previous owners (which we have found out is next to impossible for a boat originally bought in 1987). Btw I am the one who has to try and find all of this info.  My question is this...I am trying to register it-not title it, does anybody have any ideas or been through this B.S? ( I have lived here a long time and am really starting to hate this state). Thank you for any help.

Momma Always Said Fishing Is Like Going To Thailand - You Never Know What You're Gonna Catch

23 Replies Related Threads

D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 09:17:06 (permalink)
    Haven't been through anything like this but maybe a notary might be able to help...
    stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 09:21:56 (permalink)
    I went thru the notery to register it, but thanks

Momma Always Said Fishing Is Like Going To Thailand - You Never Know What You're Gonna Catch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 09:40:07 (permalink)
    When I have problems with the state I go to my state rep. They can help fix this I'm sure.They always took care of my problems.
    stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 10:05:31 (permalink)
    Never thought of that one, Thank You

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 10:41:55 (permalink)
    Do you have a signed bill of sale from the previous owner and can he prove ownership?

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 12:28:52 (permalink)
    There may be another way to go about this.  I did this for a boat I built.  I didn't have a HIN, so they assigned me one and titled it as Homemade.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/forms/pfbc734.pdf
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 12:33:16 (permalink)
    Strange how the PaFBC does things...
    I bought a boat in Kentucky, no title and no registration, all that I had was a bill of sale that was notarized in Kentucky by a local Justice of the Peace.

I took the notarized bill to a Notary in Erie and she filled in the paperwork and sent it to the Commish and about 2 weeks later I had a PA title and new registration number for the boat!

I agree about the State Rep. - they hand deliver the paperwork to Harrisburg!
    I had 2 trailers done that way and had titles and plates in 2 days...consecutive title and plate numbers!

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 12:37:00 (permalink)
    Try registering a trailer from out of state that doesn't have a title or previous registration

You're probably going to have to basically lie and title/register the boat as "home made". Total BS, but that was the advice my state rep gave me on my trailer issue a few years ago. Good luck...
    stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 16:03:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

Do you have a signed bill of sale from the previous owner and can he prove ownership?

No I bought it through a friend (the boat had sat against my friends dads shed for six years) whos dad had let a guy keep it on his property. I gave the money to my friend after looking at it and didn't get back there till I found a trailer (the boat weighs 300 or better) about a month later. By that time the guy moved down south and we have not been able to find him. My friend never thought to get a reciept so I'm stuck there. Funny part about that is close to the same time a different friend bought a boat from a yard sale and didn't get a reciept, and you guessed it, he got his registration in thirty or so days(Go Figure). What really pi**es me off is while I was waiting for the registration to go thru I fixed the boat up and had it out a few times with the temp sticker. It is a 14 1/2 foot long v bottom 5 1/2 foot wide across the back -flat floor - live well - storage - and lots of floatation. It is very stable and after spending alot of money to replace all the wood, carpet and various other items... They are basicly telling me that I have a big yard ornament.
    post edited by stradic1 - 2011/03/08 16:09:28

stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 16:22:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Try registering a trailer from out of state that doesn't have a title or previous registration

You're probably going to have to basically lie and title/register the boat as "home made". Total BS, but that was the advice my state rep gave me on my trailer issue a few years ago. Good luck...

I have had a few friends tell me that but if they ever check it they would know, not to mention I don't want to feel guilty about it, I bought the boat-fixed it up and just want to register it. Never heard of anything like this b.s..

Thanks for all the replies everyone

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 16:25:44 (permalink)
    Some states will issue a title to a vehicle with a notarized affidavit stating you own it.

I used this company when I bought an old Harley without title

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm

stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 16:35:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Some states will issue a title to a vehicle with a notarized affidavit stating you own it.

I used this company when I bought an old Harley without title

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm

I am going to look into this, thank you

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 16:40:25 (permalink)
    Walneck's cycle news magazine has ads for other title services that do this.
    If you are near Pittsburgh Jack Maggs Agency on Saw Mill Run BLV might be able to help
    They are about 1 1/2 miles south of Liberty Tubes on rt51

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 16:50:41 (permalink)
    Another place I have used is Titles Unlimited in Birmingham AL 1 800 325 8136

Broadway Title Company
    Box 130303
    Birmingham, Al. 35213
    800-464-3222

Titles Unlimited Inc.
    Box 170249
    Birmingham, Al. 35217
    800-325-8136
    http://www.titlesunlimited.net/

International Title Service
    Box 445
    Las Vegas, Nv. 89121
    800-543-8626
    www.its-titles.com
    post edited by pghmarty - 2011/03/08 16:51:58

stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 17:40:51 (permalink)
    Thanks you guys I will check it out

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 21:35:52 (permalink)
    Look for a junk boat with a title and use that title. Scrap the junk boat and get some of your money back.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/08 21:48:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Split Shot

Look for a junk boat with a title and use that title. Scrap the junk boat and get some of your money back.

A friend who has an old 14 footer that they use for target practice actually offered to do just that(give me the boat, title and vin). I am going to try and do this the right way (not even sure what that is at this point), but they sure don't make it easy. Thank you for the reply.

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/09 05:23:45 (permalink)
    have a friend in ohio reg it and get it back no big deal oh will come to the boat to inspect for free had a few boats had to do that with
    stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/09 06:25:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: leadmen

have a friend in ohio reg it and get it back no big deal oh will come to the boat to inspect for free had a few boats had to do that with

Sorry but i'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying register it in Ohio and then try to register it in Pa, and don't you have to be an Ohio resident? Thanks

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/09 09:48:54 (permalink)

No I bought it through a friend (the boat had sat against my friends dads shed for six years) whos dad had let a guy keep it on his property. I gave the money to my friend after looking at it and didn't get back there till I found a trailer (the boat weighs 300 or better) about a month later. By that time the guy moved down south and we have not been able to find him.

They are basicly telling me that I have a big yard ornament.

There's your answer -
    Have the property owner where the boat is sitting type out a letter and get it notarized that the boat is abandoned on his property and he wants it gone.

File the proper "abandoned boat" claim with the fish commis and they will make an attempt to contact the last "registered owner" and after no success they will issue paperwork to you.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/09 13:26:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

No I bought it through a friend (the boat had sat against my friends dads shed for six years) whos dad had let a guy keep it on his property. I gave the money to my friend after looking at it and didn't get back there till I found a trailer (the boat weighs 300 or better) about a month later. By that time the guy moved down south and we have not been able to find him.

They are basicly telling me that I have a big yard ornament.

There's your answer -
    Have the property owner where the boat is sitting type out a letter and get it notarized that the boat is abandoned on his property and he wants it gone.

File the proper "abandoned boat" claim with the fish commis and they will make an attempt to contact the last "registered owner" and after no success they will issue paperwork to you.

Wow I think you might have it.Thank You, I am going to the notary tomorrow and see what they think. A lot of great ideas here, Thank You to all who replied.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/09 13:39:42 (permalink)
    Sell the boat for $250
    Buy another one with the proper papers using that money and the $100-$200 you did not spend to get a registration

stradic1
    New Angler
    RE: Looking for a little help 2011/03/09 14:36:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Sell the boat for $250
    Buy another one with the proper papers using that money and the $100-$200 you did not spend to get a registration

I would have done that or even made it into beer cans, but I put a lot of time and effort into getting it back in shape (while waiting on the registration to go thru), all new marine grade plywood and carpet in it (not cheap)- polished it and fixed various other things on it. I am very happy with the boat, it has no leaks and now looks almost new, I have had a few people try and buy it and I do not want to sell it. Like I said earlier I took it out a few times with the temp sticker and the boat is very solid, not to mention you will never find one this nice for 250. It is ashame that this state has become what it is.

Jump to: