little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg

Author
FieldandStreamSteel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/18 19:47:34 (permalink)

little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg

Hey guys!  Trying to get some guys to report frequently on the surrounding areas.  Give ya a heads up on whats happening right now.  Hitting the stream about every other day....

- Hollidaysburg J branch (Hoss' and below to old car shops)

-  4 days ago...hit the browns pretty good!  Caught 12 before I had to quit.  Fish in the 10 to 15 inch range.  Fish black or white rooster tails at a slow speed right before the large holes.  Fish are sitting on the edge of the riff picking meals as they come available.  Retrieve should be slow enough you are just nicking a rock now and then with the blade.  This temp change turned them on.

-Right now.. water is up and muddy.  Hold off on fishing until the color change... (get that greenish cloudy tint)

-Fish are hungry and fight nicely

-Always remember... Catch and Release....  Keep these stretches full of what we love!!!

-D

CPR Certified! Catch, Picture, Release!

11 Replies Related Threads

FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/02/20 03:23:34 (permalink)
    Hit Cresson Mountain today.  Stream was up with nice flow.  Clear cold water darker blue/green.  Had 2 hookups on nice natives. (9 inchers)  both got to the boots before giving me the slip.  It was a nice place to get out of the brutal winds!  It won't be long now for the lower streams to start producing the bite we are all expecting at this time of year!

fishfinder8
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/02/21 19:36:32 (permalink)
    Sounds like your having no problem beating cabin fever. Gotta love those days this time of year
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/03/16 17:34:11 (permalink)
    Buddy and I hit Little J today, water very high but we found some inside bends to fish. Did pretty good with a 20 inch brown as the top dog...WF
    FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/03/17 12:55:11 (permalink)
    Hooked on to a few before the water went crazy again last week.  Heading out today as the water is at a perfect level.  Can't beat 60 degree temps and nice green water!  I'll let you all know how it goes!

FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/03/18 20:05:22 (permalink)
    Well,

Not what I expected!  The fishing was slow and the trout were as sluggish as they could ever be.  Probably the temp change or the abundance of down-winged caddis that were all over me.  They were touching it on the back end of the drift as it rose ... only in the slow pockets.  Had three on... nothing landed.

Today I went out after work only to be "disappointed" again.  (if fishing ever is disappointing).  Not a hit.  We will see how tomorrow (Saturday) goes.  I'm planning on hitting the bigger water in the morning.

Tight lines!

-Dave
    FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/03/20 13:23:48 (permalink)
    Good day on Saturday!  Saw a couple fisherman out.  One using live bait (said he caught some fall fish).  Another gentleman was using a minnow imitation (looked like a "trout killer") He said he had a couple chasing it in.  I had a great evening!  Caught 9 altogether.  Worked the Car shop waters again with a lot of success right before dark.  The largest brown was 15 inches.  I had an awesome double.  I will upload pictures later.  I hooked on to a fall fish.  He hit my trailer fly (white wooly bugger size 14)  As I fighting the fish through the riffles a small brown, 9 inches, hit the lead fly (white grub/nymph)  Amazingly they did not break the line as I landed them both!  You just can't beat a two for one cast!

Going out to hit the stream again right now!

Happy fishing!
    -Dave

FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/03/20 13:29:06 (permalink)
    Here is a picture of the double

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/04/01 20:10:10 (permalink)
    Hit the Bellwood Trophy Trout waters behind Watt's farm last Sunday.  Had a blast.  My buddy and I each landed 2 and his dad caught 1.  They were hitting a white grub/nymph pattern that Mr. Berkstresser (Bellwood guy) ties.  Had a few nice ones on only to have them throw the hook.  Planning on hitting it again tomorrow.  See ya there!

-Dave
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/04/01 20:24:52 (permalink)
    Nice double. Had two of those last year. All trout though.

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/04/02 17:54:43 (permalink)
    Just got back from the Little J. Took a fellow just starting to fish and used crawlers. Verry slow bite. Should have thrown the fly rod in, the caddis began about 2:-2:30 and the trout were VERY active on the emergers and the skating duns. Black and about #16 or #18...WF
    FieldandStreamSteel
    New Angler
    RE: little Juniata and tribs- Altoona, Tyrone, Hollidaysburg 2011/04/18 17:34:00 (permalink)
    Sorry so long,

It's been a while!  Sorry I haven't been posting.  I've been fishing too much!!! (if there is such a thing).  Anyway, Hope everyone's first day of trout was memorable!  Caught 19 on Bell's Run Gap with the fly.  They were slow in the morning and picked up as the rain continued to fall.  Fish were loving the prince nymph with rubber legs.  They were also happy to take a small brown bead head Hare's Ear.  I Fished until the water was unsafe!  I was lucky enough to catch 3 nice natives.  Saw a father and his two sons catch a 14 inch brookie!  I loved watching the kids reaction as he reeled it in.  Keep up the posting!

Ill be fishing!

-Dave

Jump to: