replacing treble hooks

Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3144
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/17 22:40:49 (permalink)

replacing treble hooks

I'm not a big fan of trebel hooks and was wondering instead of bending the barb if anybody replaces them with a J hook and what size? I was thinking like a size 8-10 for these:

andybody else do this?
post edited by psu_fish - 2011/02/17 22:41:32

9 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/17 22:59:09 (permalink)
    Circle hook at back

spinnerspooner
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/17 23:23:47 (permalink)
    PSU,  I am not crazy about trebles either.  I have a large plastic tackle box containing perhaps 200 trebles of various sizes that I've replaced on one lure or another.    Three reasons, with trebles they snag so easily most lures are doomed before you catch the first fish on them.   Second, not humane to the fish if you practice any kind of catch and release.   Third, they take up so much less room in your tackle box if you use single hooks.  I like to travel with thin clear plastic tackle boxes with single hooks on all my lures, spoons, spinners, stick baits, plugs, etc.   Except when I'm fishing especially large stickbaits and plugs for Muskie, Pike and some saltwater species.   If you have a floating stickbait, which many Muskie lures tend to be there is no great need to swith to a single hook.

When fishing for steelhead with plugs like you picture here, I almost always remove both trebles and replace them with #1/0 Sickle/Siwash hooks.   If I'm using a Kwikfish or similar flat bait, I'll remove both trebles but will only place a #1/0 on the back end.  Nothing in the middle.  Then I'll take some herring, not the canned stuff that falls apart easily but the fresh non-vinegarized stuff you can get in a good fish market and I'll cut some up into small slices and wrap it on the underside of the kwikfish with some elastic thread, the kind you use to tie egg sacs.   But that's strictly a steelhead move.   I have not yet tried it on bass, but I intend to.    You did not mention the size of the lure you have pictured. If it's intended to be a trout lure, I'd use #2 or #4 single hooks, preferably a siwash/sickle hook.

I  cannot say that the catch rate is any better/worse using single hooks, nor do I have the experience to say that it doesn't affect the action of some lures.  It may.  I do believe that when you get a "fish on" with a sickle hook he's alot less likely to get off compared to most other hooks including trebles which don't always offer deep penetration.   I have my best luck using single sickle hooks on hammered silver spoons for steelhead when little else seems to work.   But just knowing I'm far less likely to be snagged encourages me to constantly change lures when things are particularly slow.  I heard one guy say that you are exactly 1/3 as likely to snag a lure with single hooks.  My opinion is it's even less than that.

These are both sickle hooks below.   I believe the one with the straight eye is called the siwash/sickle hook.  The one with the bent eye is referred to as the octopus/sickle.    Don't ask me how they ever arrived at the term octopus. There are only 2 or 3 companies that make these.  I had been getting them online from RVRFSHR.com but they stopped selling the true "sickle" with the sharp bend, but rather a more rounded bend.  They both have large closeable eyes where you can permanantly attach them with a strong pair of pliers or a vise.
    post edited by spinnerspooner - 2011/02/18 11:28:25

Attached Image(s)

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 01:49:37 (permalink)
    psu,
    Take the front treble off.  Leave the back one on.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 07:56:58 (permalink)
    Also, test run in pool or somewhere before taking a crankbait with changed hooks out fishing.  Sometimes the balance is changed and the lure needs re-tuned before it will run correctly.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 09:02:06 (permalink)
    spinner,

Thanks. The rebel craw pictured is 2" and the other model I have is the bigger one but its like only 2&5/8"
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 09:48:16 (permalink)
    One thing you can do if you don't want to replace the treble hooks is to crush the barbs down.  That way you still have the right size hook for the lure, but reduce some of the issues with the trebles.  You can also just nip the tips of the hooks off.  This is not a perfect solution either, but the balance of the lure is less effected.

As Ironhed said, you can also just take off the front treble and leave the back one on.  I do this all the time with Gottcha plugs when I am at the Outer Banks.  The main reason for cutting off the front hook is to keep it out of my hand when taking a fish off.  Nothing ruins a good day of fishing like a trip to the ER to have a hook removed.  Besides most of the fish I catch usually are on the back hook anyway. 

pax vobiscum +
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 10:25:04 (permalink)
    did this in the early 80,s with our long A bombers single hook at rear of plug worked great on the eyes 
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 13:22:44 (permalink)
    psu, get rid of the plastic the hooks are attached to and you have a great steelhead lure. Russians buy a lot of them...WF
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9827
    RE: replacing treble hooks 2011/02/18 13:42:12 (permalink)
    I read an article about replacing trebles with singles on Stingsilvers and Kastmasters for spanish makerel and bluefish. With the advantage of unhooking quickly with fish that school and roam rather quickly. Also being able to add a strip of cutbait or bucktail/attractant.

Those center ring splitters are a nice tool to have if you are doing it to a good bit of your gear. Craft stores sell them if you are having trouble finding them.
    Jump to: