Kicker questions

Author
tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/11 08:22:21 (permalink)

Kicker questions

Can someone tell me the purpose of a kicker bracket?

I have an AL 16' deep vee with a 50hp outboard.  I want to add a tiller kicker for trolling and getting on other waters.  Do I need the bracket?  Stationary or movable?  Do I need a 2nd transom saver?

9 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/11 08:42:36 (permalink)
    Kicker brackets allow you to mount the motor where it needs to be on many boats. Like our older starcraft, the design on the transom isn't straight across, it is 'notched' for the motor area and there isn't really room for the main motor and a decent sized kicker beside it because of the way the transom slopes. A bracket allows us to mount it.
    Also, the adjustable ones allow you to lift your kicker up out of the water when you are going to run your main motor which greatly reduces drag for speed and also wear and tear on the kicker itself. Plus reduces the pressure on the transom since there isn't a 2nd lower unit in the water.

and if you have a transom that is shallow or deep you can mount the bracket height at the point where it is most effective for the length of the lower unit on the kicker motor. For example, we got a tremendous deal on a 10hp kicker motor but it has a short shaft, we placed the adjustable kicker bracket slightly lower on our transom and it works great! If we would have to clamp that kicker directly over the transom it wouldn't be long enough to work for us.

Hope this helps.
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2011/02/11 08:43:29
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/11 09:10:20 (permalink)
    That helped alot!!  Thanks!  You probably saved me $$ and headaches, I've been looking to buy a long shaft and clamp it to the transom.  Short shafts really boost the number of motors on the market.  Should I have this installed or DIY?
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/11 09:15:31 (permalink)
    Get advice from someone with experience who can look at your boat before you decide the best combo for you. Every boat is different and it is certainly something that can be a 'do it yourself' project but plan ahead so you are best able to do it right. I imagine if you do an internet search on your boat model and 'kicker mounting' you will get a few hits that show some info on best placement and other peoples learning experience.

Also, make sure your transom is rated to handle, and is in good enough condition to handle, the extra weight/torque that a large kicker can cause.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/11 09:25:52 (permalink)
    Tull,

Here's a site that may have a bit of info for you... but may takes some digging through threads/posts

http://forums.iboats.com/Outboard-Motors/Kicker

good luck!

Also, keep in mind, these brackets don't take a beating very well, I don't think they are heavy enough to allow trailering with motors in place and if you are only hauling short distances then still use an auxiliary rope or strap to help support the motor. It is easy to bend the adjustable bracket, or even break it if you aren't careful. We tie our motor up with a rope when out on the water if we are doing a long haul at speed with the big motor, especially in rough water, just to prevent the bracket taking a beating.
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2011/02/11 09:53:00
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/11 14:33:32 (permalink)
    I have mounted a couple of kickers on the transom beside the main motor, on your 16 you'll probably only need a short shaft (but measure anyway). Bolt it on, don't just use the clamp. The big thing is to make sure the wood in the transom is sound.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/11 21:34:06 (permalink)
    check the transom to see if its sound first then you should have enough room to mount the kicker when not in use stow the kicker up all the way this will take the stress off the transom and i have used a rod connection to the main motor simple to make one tie rods at tractor supply cheap and make your own iv got a 16ft had a 90hp and a 10hp kicker both 2stroke but had room left ran that set up for years and use a spinner knob on the wheel you will be shocked how you can get out of tight spots hope this help if you send a pick of the back of the boat with dim i can tell you what will work been there done that
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/13 15:06:20 (permalink)
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/14 09:25:40 (permalink)
    Looks like lots of room to just mount it on there beside your main motor, tie bar should work good as well. Looks as though a short shaft will work as well. If I get time I'll post up pics of how I did my dad's rig. You should bolt the kicker on in addition to using the clamps and thouroughly check the wood out in the transom.

Edit: Looks like there's a couple of scars on there where a kicker was previously mounted...
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2011/02/14 09:27:32
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Kicker questions 2011/02/14 15:07:52 (permalink)
    I think it will work, but you will need a long shaft. Optimally, you want the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull (Look at your main, it looks like its correctly mounted with the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the v-hull) A long shaft will put the cavitation plate 20" from where it is mounted. So from the looks of it, you will be a bit short, but due to you not being able to get on plane with a kicker, the relevance of it being perfectly mounted is not critical. If you plan to be on Erie where there is a lot of chop and the transom of the boat could rocks up and down a lot, you will want more of your motor in the water to avoid it coming out of the water and over-reving...Just my 2 cents from mounting one on mine.

Jump to: