PA Senate Bill 274

Author
bassboatbill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1194
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/09 10:58:46 (permalink)

PA Senate Bill 274

This bill is up for consideration by the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee this coming week. If it passes committee, the bill will be moved to the floor for a possible vote. With fast action, mentored youth hunters will be able to hunt antlerless deer this fall. This bill needs the support of hunters. Now is the time to voice your support of this bill that increases opportunities for our youth.

Pa. SB 274, as written, legalizes the taking of antlerless deer as well by a properly permitted mentored hunter under the guidance of a mentor that meets the requirements of a mentor under existing regulation. This bill allows a mentor to transfer one of thier antlerless tags to thier mentored hunter.

Please voice your support to your representatives in Harrisburg.
Link to the bill.
http://www.legis.sta...br=0274&pn=0250

Link to members of game and fisheries committee.
http://www.legis.sta...m?cde=11&body=S

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

24 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 12:01:45 (permalink)
    Yes.  Time is now.  Hopefully it won't get held up like the last two attempts. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 12:13:37 (permalink)
    bassboat..

Thanks for posting the link..

I can't wait to send my request for their supprot of this bill !!!
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 12:24:51 (permalink)
    No problem Doc this would be great for the kids...they are our future and we need to keep thier interests in the outdoors...

I have to Thank dpms he made me aware of this...i just wanted to post it here...
    Thanks!
    post edited by bassboatbill - 2011/02/09 12:31:06

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 13:32:59 (permalink)
    Great.  I hope it passes.  I thought it was abit much to offer mentored youths a chance to hunt deer, then require it to be antlered.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 21:01:24 (permalink)
    I can understand why some would support this. But I dont support. Just an attempt to kill more deer. Kids couldnt hunt ANYTHING prior to 12 before, and i think the opportunities they have now are great. I have no doubt the allocations wont be adjusted to account for the significant added harvests because those running the show arent trustworthy...at all. And until they are, i dont trust them with any other "tools" to kill more deer period.

So i cannot support no matter how "feel good" the move may seem. Of course knowing who the two are that came up with the idea of the bill in the first place...two enviroextremists. Pretty much sealed the deal for me. They couldnt care less about our youth period. All they care about is more deer killed and wish to add anyway possible to kill a few more whenever possible.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 21:08:35 (permalink)
    Just an attempt to kill more deer

significant added harvests

Obviously you do not understand the bill..

It will NOT increase the harvest .. the adult has to transfer (use up)his antlerless tag to the youth.. still only one tag used for one antlerless deer..
    it's just instead of the adult shooting the deer the mentored youth gets to do it....

great idea and long over-do .... I believe it may just be the ticket to get and keep more young hunters interested in the sport.. it would also allow an adult to teach the youth it is not all about killing bucks... and the harvest is something to be proud of as a youth ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/09 21:10:14
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 21:26:24 (permalink)
    Obviously you do not understand the bill..

Why i most certainly do sir!

It will NOT increase the harvest .. the adult has to transfer (use up)his antlerless tag to the youth.. still only one tag used for one antlerless deer..

How many more times do we have to discuss this before you get it doc? You dont have to agree, but dont act like you dont know my position when this is like the 3rd or 4th time we've discussed.

More tags will be used that wouldnt have been used otherwise. And i personally know of some. Guys with no interest in harvesting a doe, that have tags, that yes, WILL permit their youth hunter use them... I dont need you to tell me... They tell me themselves! And i dont think they are alone in that decision. It will also enable more tags to be sold in areas where as many as can be sold already are....Such as unit 2A for example. They are already selling all they can.

I dont see it as imperative to permit a 5 year old to shoot a doe. Especially when doing so is simply making things even worse for them by helping the herds demise, and they end up seeing fewer deer anyway as a result.

This might in the future be a "good thing" to consider, but currently imho it is anything but.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/09 21:27:55
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 21:27:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

I can understand why some would support this. But I dont support. Just an attempt to kill more deer. Kids couldnt hunt ANYTHING prior to 12 before, and i think the opportunities they have now are great. I have no doubt the allocations wont be adjusted to account for the significant added harvests because those running the show arent trustworthy...at all. And until they are, i dont trust them with any other "tools" to kill more deer period.

I don't understand the logic.  Where are the added harvests coming from?  You believe that folks are sitting on doe tags with no intention of using them unless this passes, then they will allow a MY to possibly harvest a doe adding to the harvest?
    post edited by dpms - 2011/02/09 21:31:25

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 21:28:58 (permalink)
    You musta been posting while i was dpms. Read my last post.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 21:34:27 (permalink)
    You believe that folks are sitting on doe tags with no intention of using them unless this passes, then they will allow a MY to possibly harvest a doe adding to the harvest?

Just caught your edit...See, you DO understand some of the logic. And yes, not only do i believe it, i know it to be fact, and so do the two folks who are staunch deer plan/reduction proponents who came up with the idea and wrote the initial bill. And as i stated, it will also enable the pgc to allocate even more tags in units that are already maxed out. Remember they tried the absolutely insane 60k in the unit not long ago...Didnt sell them all. Went back to 55k. Some years they didnt sell all of them at that level either, even though it was more than enough to reduce the herd when far fewer reduced the much larger herd previously.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/09 21:38:39
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 22:19:02 (permalink)

Just an attempt to kill more deer.

Really ?  Is that really the purpose of this bill? 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/09 22:24:48 (permalink)
    Dont know. I know thats why the original idea came about. I know an original bill was written and i know who by. Thats where the idea came from. The original bill had amendments, and i also know one or two other bills have been written since. This was discussed on other boards quite often.

If someone else penned another similiar bill out of the kindness of their heart for children and the sport of hunting... Good for them. But unfortunately the result would be the same regardless of intent, and the "seed" was planted with the original bill.

I also do THINK this is the original bill.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/09 22:53:01
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 05:51:16 (permalink)
    V. Recommendations.

The DCNR Action Plan to address the issue "Regeneration of Pennsylvania's Forests through Deer Management" includes four projects:

Project #1--Provide hunters with the necessary programs to kill more deer and reduce the size of the herd. This project will require close cooperation with the PGC to change hunting regulations to enable hunters to harvest more deer.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 07:43:36 (permalink)

I also do THINK this is the original bill.

Pretty much, just with the added ammendment limiting the transfer of only one tag. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/02/10 07:59:47

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 08:06:28 (permalink)
    Im all for the mentor program, but I also think there still should be some ages set. I just dont think a 5, 6 , or even 7 year old should be in the woods in hunting season at all. I know alot of guys will disagree but thats how I feel. Im sure we all know some kids that are not ready at 12. I do think that mabey start the age at 8 or 9 for small game only, this is the best practice anyway. Then mabey 10 or just a year early at 11 let them shoot a deer. I hate to hear the guys that have the 4yo out in turkey season. Thats not good IMO. I know all kids are different but still think they should set some ages.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 11:20:52 (permalink)
    I personally don’t see this as a way for the PGC to kill off more deer, it just gives our mentored hunters a better chance of filling a tag and keeping their interest in the outdoors. This is very very important these days..They said nothing about allotting more tags per WMU is this would pass or anything like that...and personally I feel if mentors had a doe tag this past season most of them probably let the mentored hunter take the shot and just used their tag ..lets be honest with ourselves, we all know this
    So I personally feel the kill would be no different in the future if this passed and feel its a great opportunity for the kids to be more involved in our sport...as far as age goes...I feel if your responsible enough to be a mentor you know when the right time is to take your mentored youth out there and be safe and responsible..

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 12:10:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rollcaster

Im all for the mentor program, but I also think there still should be some ages set. I just dont think a 5, 6 , or even 7 year old should be in the woods in hunting season at all. I know alot of guys will disagree but thats how I feel. Im sure we all know some kids that are not ready at 12. I do think that mabey start the age at 8 or 9 for small game only, this is the best practice anyway. Then mabey 10 or just a year early at 11 let them shoot a deer. I hate to hear the guys that have the 4yo out in turkey season. Thats not good IMO. I know all kids are different but still think they should set some ages.

I agree with you, I have never been much of a fan of the mentored hunts.   

While there are certainly exceptions, your typical 8 or 9 year old is nowhere near ready to be hunting big game IMO.  For that matter most 10 and 11 year olds aren't ready either. 

Do the mentored youth even need to complete the Hunters Education course?
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 12:14:51 (permalink)
    IMO - rather have my 8 yr. old son out with me hunting than any adult that buys there hunting license the day before deer rilfe season! 

The conduct of a mentor hunt has the mentor being in total controll of the whole deal.  The mentor has ultimately full responsibilty of the youth.   

I would like to see other huntable species allow to be part of the mentored youth program as well such as ducks and geese.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 12:34:12 (permalink)
    I personally don’t see this as a way for the PGC to kill off more deer, it just gives our mentored hunters a better chance of filling a tag and keeping their interest in the outdoors. This is very very important these days..They said nothing about allotting more tags per WMU is this would pass or anything like that...and personally I feel if mentors had a doe tag this past season most of them probably let the mentored hunter take the shot and just used their tag ..lets be honest with ourselves, we all know this
    So I personally feel the kill would be no different in the future if this passed and feel its a great opportunity for the kids to be more involved in our sport...as far as age goes...I feel if your responsible enough to be a mentor you know when the right time is to take your mentored youth out there and be safe and responsible..

I disagree. I happen to know of several guys that didnt use tags even thought they have kids or other mentors...and they followed the letter of the law and DIDNT let them fill those tags. Although that will change if this is implemented, and im sure they arent alone. If some feel the added harvest is worth the tradeoff, fine, theyre entitled to the opinion, but i dont. I mentor a couple of kids (ages 8 to 10)rifle season last few years, and know the last thing they need is to see even fewer deer in the woods when out.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/10 12:36:45
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 12:36:04 (permalink)
    Do the mentored youth even need to complete the Hunters Education course?

No.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 19:26:49 (permalink)
    Dad will buy more tags....but in 2F, tags sell out so fast, there isnt a second round of tags to buy like the urban areas. I usually am able to get a 2D tag in the second round. Now down in Allegheny Co they need more shot, so take the MY down there

Overall I dont forsee that many more deer being killed.

I personally don’t see this as a way for the PGC to kill off more deer

post edited by psu_fish - 2011/02/10 19:27:20
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 20:03:28 (permalink)
    My unit isnt urban and it gets 3 rounds of tags.

I also dont think it will increase the harvest SUBSTANTIALLY. But increase is increase, and the herd has been getting nickel and dimed to death as it is with the constant addition of too many opportunities and too many tags.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/10 20:39:20
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 21:46:55 (permalink)
    If the hunter success rates made any significant change, as a result of this legislation passing or anything else for that matter, it would be as simple as a reduction in the antlerless permits being issued to once again put the harvests in line with the management objective.

It sounds like good legislation for the future of hunting to me even though I too agree that some parents might be pushing their kids into hunting way too early. Each youth is different in when the right to start them would be. If the parent pushes them into it or starts them before they both physically and emotionally ready to be a hunter they will turn them off to hunting instead of turning them on to it.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA Senate Bill 274 2011/02/10 22:35:31 (permalink)
    "If the hunter success rates made any significant change, as a result of this legislation passing or anything else for that matter, it would be as simple as a reduction in the antlerless permits being issued to once again put the harvests in line with the management objective."

I agree rsb, that would be "Possible". But would it be done? Recent past history show us the appropriate route isnt always the one taken in regards to levels of herd reduction.
    Jump to: