Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/06 12:13:11 (permalink)

hey muskie guys.....................

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/fishing/the-next-bite/pymatuning-reservoir-muskies

chris was an old neighbor of mine. what a muskie fanatic.
post edited by rapala11 - 2011/02/06 12:18:02

29 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 12:53:42 (permalink)
    Cool beans.  I loved the show.  Maybe this summer we will have to break out the big lures and rods/reels.

pax vobiscum +
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 13:29:07 (permalink)
    Pete's is one of the few fishing shows that I like on TV....the guys are down to earth and theres no BS or plastering of ads and endorsements. We will see how long it lasts....I used to like In Fisherman too.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 13:37:43 (permalink)
    paul, chris was one decent person. all the kids in the neighborhood liked him. the guys who talked fishing to him were made to feel his equal. i haven't seen him since the mid 90s but always knew he would make a name for himself.

bug, i have caught them wading for walleye in the spring at pymy. not huge but low 30s for length. quite a fight on 6lb. test trilene xl. helped a couple of guys land one will into the 40s. actually i was wading and waded in towards shore and grabbed it by the tail to swing it up on the bank. pert near pulled my arm out of the socket. what a beast.

one thing i have found out over the years, when wading for spring eyes, is that if the bite goes dead real fast, the muskies have moved in to harass them. one night, three of us hooked and released muskies.

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 14:46:37 (permalink)
    Muskies, Muskies, Muskies!!!! Just the sound of that word causes the pulse to quicken. I will be spooling a few reels with some heavier line and with some luck use them to drag a few larger plugs and/or suckers around in an attempt to hook one of those toothy critters.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 15:13:42 (permalink)
    The freshwater barracuda are definitely exciting.  I have caught quite a few small muskies, but I am still looking for the trophy.  I want a 50 incher.  I got close once, but I could not measure the fish as it got away while I was trying to get the ruler.  I estimate the fish was close to 50", but I don't know for sure. 

pax vobiscum +
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 15:30:05 (permalink)
    50-65 pound braid 10 inch lures, it seems unethical to most anglers. hooking a fish is only a bonus
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 15:50:45 (permalink)
    You definitely get a lot casting practice when fishing for muskies. 

The big lures and heavy lines are just part of the game.  Of course, if you have ever fished in the ocean, big reels, heavy line, large hooks and giant baits are just an everyday thing.  If you are used to fishing for native trout or pan fish, muskie gear looks like over kill but if you have ever hooked into one of these critters you quickly realize why you have the heavy gear.

pax vobiscum +
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 15:53:30 (permalink)
    My biggest was a 47, stinkhole Oct 23rd I believe on a firetiger muskie jerk, nothing else like it. Long hours between fish but when you hook up you soon realize why you fish for them
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/06 18:10:55 (permalink)
    Rap, Thanks for the Pymatuning video link. Brings back memories. Used to fish Pymatuning some during the mid to late 70's, Clark, Harris island, Tuttle pt. areas. Had some sucess short lining Burmeks in June/July. Now that I'm retired and somewhat crippled up with a bad back I stick to Chautauqua for muskies because I live here and don't have the desire any more to travel to fish muskies.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 08:08:12 (permalink)
    I met Chris a few times back in the day....seemed like a pretty good guy Rap.

Man, I wish they'd open that season up sooner on Chautauqua Bob. With the muskie population thriving and the practice of C&R in recent years, I think they could change the late season opener to beginning of June at least....I'd love to hit it in May and early June for sure. I remember the days when we would travel to Pigeon for the Ont. opening weekend (first weekend in June), fish there for two weeks then hit Chautauqua's opener on our way back home. Those, of course, were the single days when fishing 3 to 4 days a week for muskies was common hat for me. Now, I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 trips in a month during the summer/fall months. One thing that is nice is that all those years of experimentation allows me to narrow down my trips to higher percentage spots where I suppose I'd waist less time, but it doesn't always work out that way either of course...LOL

Lastly...muskies, surprisingly, are not that great a fighting fish. Their first initial strike and first few runs are fierce, of course, but they peter out rather quickly for such a large and mean looking missile. For me, its always been the mystique of figuring them out or trying to catch them on any sort of consistant basis. I could probably think of at least a half dozen freshwater fish that fight harder pound for pound. Smallmouth, Wiper, Fall Steel just to name a few. Theres just something about muskies, the hunt and all the comeradery that is surrounded by the sport thats addicting. Proudly holding that fish after bringing it hand and then watching it slowly slither away like a snake into the depths as it is being released to fight another day. Man, I'm ready to hook 'em down....cabin fever is getting the best of me and I NEED to get out! Lets go fishing!!!

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 09:20:30 (permalink)
    The best fighting freshwater fish in my opinion are bluegills.  If those things grew to the size of muskies, many that would be a fight.

I think when it comes to a fight, muskies are quite a bit different than steelies.  Steelies once hooked pretty much go crazy and take off like a missle.  Muskies will take off, but they don't have the speed like a steelie  They put their nose down and pull.  They will eventually wear down, but if you try to land one, especially in a small boat or canoe before they are ready to go peacefully, you are in for a big nasty critter that will open a can of whoop arse on you.  Also, I have had them pull my canoe all over the place.  They are very strong fish, not as quick as a steelie or acrobatic as a smallie, but strong like a bull.

One other thing you have to be concerned with is the fact they like to roll when they are being landed.  I have seen muskies spin over and over, mouth open, and lure spinning.  It sucks when they bite or if  you get hit with one or more of their teeth but what is worse in my opinion is have them jam one of the hooks on the lure into you.  Nothing like getting a big treble hook stuck in you hand while it is still attached to a very lively muskie.  That will ruin your day.

All in all, they are a neat fish to go after.  I like paddling slowy down a lazy creek or along the shore a lake, casting and enjoying the day.  I like working my way around the stumps and weed beds and around little points that jut out into the lake.  I like the whole idea that if you put enough time in, eventually I will be rewarded with a big splash, an awesome fish on the end of my line and a great story to tell my buddies.

Muskies are not for everyone, but for those of us who enjoy fishing for them, they are the ultimate prize.

pax vobiscum +
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 10:11:22 (permalink)
    yea nice video and i am sure we could all catch muskies like that if we could also fish the nursery waters.  that is the same thing babe winkleman did 15 yrs ago for the walleye

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 10:20:21 (permalink)
    Nursery waters?? Are you serious right now? Anyone who knows the lake, knows exactly where most of the video takes place.

Nothing special really though....Keep in mind, most of these shows will compile many days of fishing one body of water (especially muskie fishing) to make a 1/2 hour video. They landed 2 fish here and you could tell it was at least two different days.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/02/07 10:30:30

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 10:58:28 (permalink)
    i do know the lake and i find it funny that on two very nice looking days i did not see one other boat out on the water. 

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 11:08:31 (permalink)
    i apologize after looking closer i now see that it is not in nursery waters and i do see where they are fishing.  that is my bad

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 12:47:01 (permalink)
    Some opinionated comments on muskies based on 40 yrs fishing Chautauqua and northwestern PA: Paul, they (DEC) could and should open the season at Chautauqua earlier. June 1st or even May 15th wouldn't hurt a thing. Since about 1982 red spot disease has been a big problem here and has done more harm than fishing pressure ever could to this fishery, not so much for numbers as size of the fish. Fish over 48" here are scarce. The muskie pressure at Chautauqua now is a lot lighter than it was during the late 60's and '70's yet large fish seem to be harder to come by. I blame this on red spot disease. Fishing pressure is not a factor IMO with almost all fish now caught/released. A muskie fisherman shouldn't have to catch 300 or so fish to catch one over 48". That's about what the average is now at Chautauqua. I do appreciate living on Chautauqua and the muskie fishing, even though it's not a big fish lake. Just wish Bemus Pt. was on St. Clair instead of Chautauqua.

As far as muskie fighting ability goes, they are sluggish compaired to many other game fish. What they lack in stamina they make up for in speed. They are lighting quick, strike faster and harder than any other north american game fish and often will jump, often spectaculary. Back when I casted a lot, have had them jump into the boat, buouce off the gunnels, and even had one jump over the bow of the boat.

My casting days are over, except when Barry (swinger) comes here to fish. I miss the excitement, the follows, boat side and figure 8 strikes, blowups on surface plugs, etc, etc. Now I'm content to troll. The hr/fish average is better and on the water is a nice place to be, sipping on a cocktail waiting for a reel to start ziiinging, especially in the summer time.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 13:56:59 (permalink)
    Some opinionated comments on muskies based on 40 yrs fishing Chautauqua and northwestern PA: Paul, they (DEC) could and should open the season at Chautauqua earlier. June 1st or even May 15th wouldn't hurt a thing. Since about 1982 red spot disease has been a big problem here and has done more harm than fishing pressure ever could to this fishery, not so much for numbers as size of the fish. Fish over 48" here are scarce. The muskie pressure at Chautauqua now is a lot lighter than it was during the late 60's and '70's yet large fish seem to be harder to come by. I blame this on red spot disease. Fishing pressure is not a factor IMO with almost all fish now caught/released. A muskie fisherman shouldn't have to catch 300 or so fish to catch one over 48". That's about what the average is now at Chautauqua. I do appreciate living on Chautauqua and the muskie fishing, even though it's not a big fish lake. Just wish Bemus Pt. was on St. Clair instead of Chautauqua.

Bob, I agree with almost everything you mention....I think they imposed this late opener back in the day with the intentions of keeping the pressure off of the spawning fish and to protect their investments in a management program strictly focused on muskies. Which, IMO, was one of the most successful during the time period. The idea was probably taken by those out in the mid-west. Thats a whole other story, but theres really no existing reason for not bringing in the opener earlier these days.

Bob, someday I'd like to sit and talk with you about muskie fishing, chautauqua and the changes you've seen over the years. And I'd also like to share my experiences with the fishery and whats been successful for me up there over the years. Barry and I have already been planning a trip to Chautauqua this summer and I'm looking forward to that. Would love to meet you.

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 13:59:48 (permalink)
    I would prefer a 40 inch pike over a 40 inch muskie however, theres something about pike that meets the eye. Plus some guys like to to refer to it as "pike fever"
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 14:04:33 (permalink)
    I also like to hit the Chesapeake twice a year in fall when I can to cast for rockfish, those things are a blast to catch and lots of them. Plus the drive isn't too bad, from Erie only about a 5 to 6 hour drive to fishing area
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 14:30:47 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/07 14:57:12 (permalink)
    i've always thought smallies put up the best fight, esp. when they hit the 18 inch and up range

Lake Erie walleyes are like pulling in logs, but when I did a fly-in trip in Canada, the walleyes put up a fight
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/08 05:59:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish
    Bob, someday I'd like to sit and talk with you about muskie fishing, chautauqua and the changes you've seen over the years. And I'd also like to share my experiences with the fishery and whats been successful for me up there over the years. Barry and I have already been planning a trip to Chautauqua this summer and I'm looking forward to that. Would love to meet you.

As Barry knows, you are welcome to stay at my place. Bob usually stays too, so you can have your talk before the pajama party. Bob could run you around in my boat which is a little bigger. he would just as soon keep the boat positioned on the weed line, sip a cold one and watch you guys cast.

post edited by glen - 2011/02/08 06:07:32
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/08 08:37:44 (permalink)
    I'd definitely be bringing my boat....I usually stay at my buddies camp/campground in Mayville. However, I'd really like to spend some quality time with this infamous group of gentlemen!!

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/08 09:12:36 (permalink)
    Things sure have changed up there with most of the fish being released now. (bonus)
    Back in the 70's my buddies dad was a guide up there and they killed every musky they put a hook in. Remember the old Musky bats they used to carry.

Do you fellas ever target them in the deep water ??
    I have picked up muskies trolling in over 30' of water for eyes more than once. Thought I had the 30" eye on till it showed itself.

Having a big musky come up and smack a topwater bait has to be one of the most exciting takes in fishing...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/08 12:02:48 (permalink)
    Yes Bings, they follow the bait right out there too! And as weird as it sounds, all the fish I've ever seen eat a topwater haven't been as explosive as some of the film stuff...but it's more of the startling you get after hearing that woosh woosh woosh or plop plop plop all day and then all h3ll breaks loose!! I'd love to have a fish come out of the water on a take, although I'd probably miss 'im!
    post edited by dealinsteel - 2011/02/08 12:03:05
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/08 17:42:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsba

Do you fellas ever target them in the deep water ??

Yes, suspended over deep water more so than on or near the bottom. 25'+ water, lures running 10 to 20' deep. Upper Chautauqua, mid summer thru early fall. A good rule of thumb is you want your lures running approx. half way down or slightly shallower. I like to run one lure 10 to 12' deep and the other 18 to 20' deep. The shallower running lure often, usually produces best, even over the deepest water in the lake.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/09 12:48:25 (permalink)

Try one of these out in that deep water Bob...you'll get some big ones
    With hooks of course!!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/02/09 13:09:05

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/09 15:44:39 (permalink)
    Paul, I know Wileys are very good and have a large following of guys that swear by them. I have never really tried them. The one in your pic, color wise, I really like. Last spring I bought 7 6" jointed Lokes from "Condender", Muskies first. Did very well with them, also did well with 6" jointed Ziggies. As for colors, perch, walleye, $9 bass, ocean perch, and Ziggies natural perch and Ziggies Kenny carp. I really like the jointed Lokes and Ziggies because they run erratic, wander, even at slower speeds. Ordered some 6" straight Ziggies to try this fall. Couple others I'm intrested in trying are jointed Talonz slashers and Muskie Train MX's.

For years trolled Rapala J-13's and super shad raps and they both fished well. Changed out the hooks on the J-13 to a 3/0 belly double and 2/0 tail treble. Best year I ever had was '93, almost all fish on J-13's including a 52" and a couple 48's.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: hey muskie guys..................... 2011/02/09 16:35:52 (permalink)
    Yeah, thats a repaint that I did yesterday....a twist on a $9 bass pattern. I think it will be a productive one and cannot wait until spring to try it out. I always found that flashy golds to be productive in your parts...One of my favorite places to fish muskies in the world.

Jump to: