Author
springer123
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/04 13:21:50 (permalink)

Raystown Spring Perch?

Hi To Everyone.

I'm new to this forum but have lived and fished in and around central pa, state college, for the past 14-15 years, mostly Black Moshannon, Glendale, a buch of the local trout streams and recently Raystown Lake.

I'm already getting spring fever and ready to get on the water. I came across and old magazine article about decent spring perch fishing on Raystown lake starting in March, it said to fish the Trough Creek Wild Area.

I pulled out a map from DNR and realized that the TWA runs from Mile Marker 9 almost to 28.

Can anybody out there give me a smaller area to start searching?

19 plus miles of shoreline isn't much of a tip

Thanks,

Springer

16 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/04 15:29:11 (permalink)
    Hi Springer... I'm sorry I can't help you out about Raystown, only fished it a couple of times and didn't target perch... hopefully someone else on here might be able to help some. But there isn't very frequently mention of Raystown here, so you may start a new trend
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy... a lot of great folks and an amazing amount of info if you can spend the time to dig through the older posts through the search function. Just be careful, you can loose track of time VERY easily!
    Again, welcome aboard and have fun!
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/05 07:16:41 (permalink)
    Buy a depth finder. Take a day to learn to read the water and bottom. You'll be better of in the long run from what you learn....just sayin'

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/05 07:40:50 (permalink)
    Buy a depth finder?
    A newbie was just looking for a bit of help.
    Nice way to welcome somebody!

By the way, Mountian Man -
    I'll send you a few dollars so you can BUY A LIFE!

Yes, we are still here!
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/05 09:53:50 (permalink)
    True story.  Personally I've never fished Raystown Lake but plan to this year.  This was already going to be my plan.  Let us know if you have some success.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/06 22:36:52 (permalink)
    raystown a big lake . i fish it some times; but if you find one perch you find amess.perch are school fish they school up by the thosands. it hard to say when you run across them in that lake ;put if you do you catch many . it takes time to fine them . fish finer are great i use all the time.
    springer123
    New Angler
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/07 09:56:59 (permalink)
    I do have a fish finder and use it at Raystown to find baitfish and keep my gear out of the timber. I started trolling for lake trout at Raystown a couple years ago when I came across and old 80's fishing PA video that had a local guide, Sparky Price I think, giving tips on how to get started.

I troll mostly from 12 down to the dam for lakers before the big boats start running, and occasionally pick up the odd perch, walleye, bass, or striper. I have never fished up lake in the TWA.

The perch fishing I was asking about was the spring spawning run. According to the article, the fish are against the banks in the shallows, so a fishfinder won't help locate them.

What I was hoping to find was a general area to start, narrow it down to a couple miles to search. Whether they run upriver like the stripers and white bass in the spring, or go into James and Trough Creek, or if they just spawn on the banks along the main lake.

Either way it doesn't sound like anybody fishes Raystown much.

Thanks,

Springer123

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/07 10:58:22 (permalink)
    Springer, there is a Pennsylvania Striped Bass association that is very active at Raystown. Though they obviously direct most of their attention to the Stripers there are many members who may be able to help provide a bit of info. Try doing a web search to see if you can find contact info for them and see if it helps... sorry couldn't be of more help, but I hope you find them.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/07 11:53:45 (permalink)
    You won't find many people that fish specifically for perch on Raystown Lake. There are perch to be caught, but the lake doesn't seem to have the numbers to attract guys for that particular species.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/07 12:08:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

You won't find many people that fish specifically for perch on Raystown Lake. There are perch to be caught, but the lake doesn't seem to have the numbers to attract guys for that particular species.

Agreed.  I fished the Dead Sea for many years and don't recall anyone targetting perch.

By the way, Drake, does anyone specifically fish Raystown for.........................

Never mind, too easy.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    springer123
    New Angler
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/07 12:36:23 (permalink)
    I'll probably take a crack at them anyway come March. If nothing else its a day on the water exploring a section of the lake that's new to me. If I don't catch anything, it won't be the first time the "Dead Sea" has gotten the better of me.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/07 22:52:23 (permalink)
    the only thing i can tell you about the lake; fine a feeder stream that comes in . at the end of april and all may you should hammer the perch. they like fast water so there egges will be like a rope when there on the spaw.just where the water comes to a stand still out on the lake
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/11 11:35:41 (permalink)
    Anybody goe out with Lunker Guider Service ? We are planning on a May trip to target Lakers and Stripers. I am more interested in the lakers. PM with info if you so wish.

Thanks
    Jeb
    supercrew02
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/13 02:07:12 (permalink)
    Springer,
    Most likely you will have to play seek and find. There is a lot of water to cover there. Use some experience and get a good depth chart/map of the lake. I have never targeted perch but there are some pigs in there. May be worth getting a guide to learn the lake a bit. The Davoli boys will make sure you catch fish, lunkerguideservices would be a good recommendation. Matt is the perch guy.
    Do what you want but Peacymike (Peacypoopy) is a bunghole and posts stupid things on a normal basis.
    supercrew02
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/13 02:08:47 (permalink)
    JEB,
    You will catch fish with Lunker.
    fishfinder8
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/02/13 19:55:45 (permalink)
    Springer Sent you a PM about Raystown area perch check it out its worth it.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Raystown Spring Perch? 2011/03/08 16:01:50 (permalink)
    I seek to learn the same information. I remember catching really nice sized perch in Raystown in the early fall BUT that was 1989!! It seemed overly easy and I did not prize perch as table fare the way that I do now. With that said, I am aware of some fisherman who do target Raystown perch and are fairly successful. I have not been able to capitalize on the infomation that they shared over the years. Certainly, if anybody is willing to share advice, it is appreciated. I cannont imagine that all that many people target the species. . .I could be wrong though!
    Jump to: