musky trolling

Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/02 16:27:08 (permalink)

musky trolling

figured I would start a new thread to make time fly till I can get the Lund out. Any of you guys troll prequel bay and lake erie for muskies around this area? I've been doing for 3 years now only a few dozen times. It seems like they aren't trophies when I do get one but its just fun trolling large cranks and seeing a heavy rod look like a hanging twig off the end of the boat. I've tried burning bucktails and other large casting baits but I've only caught 2 that way, however I have caught small ones while fihsing for other species usually when I'm burning my bait to make another cast. I also try bait fishing with small gills but only catch pike with them. Its something I like to do on a cloudy fall day when theres no room on the creeks and the lake is bit too choppy for going after eyes. Just wondering if I was the only one.

6 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: musky trolling 2011/02/06 10:33:01 (permalink)
    WHile its something i've never done, i plan to in the next few years.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: musky trolling 2011/02/07 21:59:19 (permalink)
    Its great to do, especially because there is very little pressure here in Erie the population is able to sustain itself
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: musky trolling 2011/02/08 08:31:01 (permalink)
    I'd seriously rather spend my time in higher percentage areas when it comes to muskies, to tell you the truth. Although, I have thought about it in the past, Presque Isle isn't a top choice for me. Not only is my time limited, its way to hard to come by anymore with 3 kids....I wish I could do some experimentation there, but would rather fish places that I know have increased odds.

How many muskies would you say you have caught in the few dozen times or so you fished it?

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: musky trolling 2011/02/08 16:15:11 (permalink)
    Probably 2 dozen fish over 30 inches, but I have caught some smaller ones in the time too. I agree with you fully on there are way better areas for it but being from Erie its easy just to take the boat out in the fall and troll around. Sometimes I troll bombers for steelhead and then muskies. Some days I get skunked others I'll get two in one day, thats a good day here
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: musky trolling 2011/02/09 12:27:40 (permalink)
    For just trageting muskies a few dozen or so times, those aren't bad numbers really. Theres gotta be some HOGS out there too! If I lived closer, I'd probably put more time in there.

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: musky trolling 2011/02/09 14:10:38 (permalink)
    Yeah the biggest I have seen pulled out of Erie recently was a 48 inch in the spring, there are some huge fish because of all the food I just have not hooked into one yet. I think fishing muskies in Erie is completely different than anywhere else because there is an abundance of food for them, I have caught probably 90% of my fish matching bait fish in the lake, usually smaller gamefish that I would catch fishing that spot. I caught one 35 inch this year trolling through the Erie channel by the corner of South Pier this year, I was pulling in my line because of all the floating debris and figured trolling there was pointless and it smacked the bait while I was reeling it up, most exciting bite I have ever got. Caught it on a knock off flatfish I use for steelhead made by south bend in black color, I will never forget that fish
    Jump to: