Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/01 08:07:34 (permalink)

Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule

The bucket Brigades fishing schedule is out...
I can her those metal stringers clanging already..
Wish they would do away with publishing the schedule and the first day madness...

http://pfbc.state.pa.us/pfbc_webgis/TroutStockingDetails.aspx

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

25 Replies Related Threads

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 09:19:19 (permalink)
    Bing, you do realize that for some anglers that is the ONLY way they know where and how to catch fish. Sad but true.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 10:28:24 (permalink)
    Publishing the stocking schedule also helps the comm. get volunteers to carry buckets along the streams. Thats a lot of leg work for just a couple of people.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 10:57:03 (permalink)
    the only thing i wish is there was a time limit after in season stocking that people are allowed to fish. i have helped stock trout in-season and watched buckets dumped right in front of guys with their bait in the water. they might as well just fish in the bucket.
    i watched the stocking truck shoot trout through a big hose out into herford manor lake and at the same time guys were casting lures into the pile of fish dropping into the water.

as far as listing the scheduled date , from what i seen, it is a good idea like wally cat says.

the only thing is now, the fish commision doesn't want you to carry buckets of fish too far downstream from the truck. wardens said that they were told that the fish has less of a survival chance carrying them too far. it wasn't like we were taking them 2 miles downstream!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 12:24:32 (permalink)
    i have helped stock trout in-season and watched buckets dumped right in front of guys with their bait in the water. they might as well just fish in the bucket.

Yep. I helped last winter and these guys showed up about 1/2way through then got out of their cars, geared up, then watched the rest of the people stock while they stood there. Once the PFC guys said it was the last bucket, they went down and started fishing.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 12:41:56 (permalink)
    u gotta love the way pa does the trout thing ITS LIKE AN EASTER EGG HUNT the stock truck is the easter bunny,,, they hide the eggs...............i mean trout the fishermen carry them down to the creek or as you guys say crick lol lol then they catch them only minutes after being hid like some sort of kid easter egg hunt,,,,, also u can tell where the golden egg is hidden.... cause usually several ADULTS will be converged over a 2ft area casting and running everything but the kitchen sink trying to catch the palomino AKA THE GOLDEN EGG while the youngsters are relegated to the sidelines seen it happen waay waay too many times and its because of this i laugh just my 2 cents

I have become comfortably numb
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 16:36:11 (permalink)
    I was helping stock a friend's property which is open to public fishing quite a few years back, like we always did for the 2nd stocking, and asked to take a bucket to spread out along a nice stretch of water that was shaded with several different spots for fish to lay and not just a single hole.  Figured it would keep the fish most of summer because not many people would bother fishing the area because of the overhanging trees and such.  Some guy came up and took the bucket I was going to grab as I was explaining where I was going and said he was taking it to his hole... needless to say I watched where he went then stood in his hole the rest of the morning.  We quit keeping fish a long time ago, its more or less just to fish for fun and see how many we'd get over the weekend and to have something to do in the summer when we got bored around camp.  Usually we spread them out a good bit and they stuck around most of the summer until they either got baked or the herons got them.

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 17:36:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

u gotta love the way pa does the trout thing ITS LIKE AN EASTER EGG HUNT the stock truck is the easter bunny,,, they hide the eggs...............i mean trout the fishermen carry them down to the creek or as you guys say crick lol lol then they catch them only minutes after being hid like some sort of kid easter egg hunt,,,,, also u can tell where the golden egg is hidden.... cause usually several ADULTS will be converged over a 2ft area casting and running everything but the kitchen sink trying to catch the palomino AKA THE GOLDEN EGG while the youngsters are relegated to the sidelines seen it happen waay waay too many times and its because of this i laugh just my 2 cents

thats hilarious... a river by me actually does a private contest for the kids and it often lands on the saturday before easter... sure enough it's for the kids, but the head hancho's of the stocking committee of course are locked up in a certain stretch in which all of their kids are fishing; most of the fathers are actually hooking the fish and handing off the rods to their kids... it's quite a sight...
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 19:32:20 (permalink)
    It's such a difference for fall stockings. Rarely does anyone show up. I'm guessing it might have to do with the fact most fish are stocked in delayed harvests for the fall. And no one is keeping those fish....legally.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 19:39:21 (permalink)
    that why i dont fish streams anymore on the opener....pefer the boat instead on Justus Lake, least you can get some space and might hook tiger musky
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 20:01:19 (permalink)
    One good thing about these guy's. Alot of the first day fishermen buy a license-trout stamp and only go the first couple weekends a year. I have known many people over the years that do that. It's a long winter. Nothing else to do. They go out with friends get drunk, maybe catch a fish, get sick and then go home. Then they play golf the rest of the year. They help keep the cost down for the rest of us.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/01 20:39:15 (permalink)
    As has been often opined on this and others forums, I would generally endorse a "no fishing the day of stocking" rule. At a minimum, make it catch and release for 48 hours. But no fishing for 24-48 hours would be ideal. Give the fish a chance to disperse a little bit. It may be a put and take fishery, but I don't think that they need "put and took" the same day.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

PaWolfman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 03:35:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

As has been often opined on this and others forums, I would generally endorse a "no fishing the day of stocking" rule. At a minimum, make it catch and release for 48 hours. But no fishing for 24-48 hours would be ideal. Give the fish a chance to disperse a little bit. It may be a put and take fishery, but I don't think that they need "put and took" the same day.

I agree with this. Let them disperse a little bit.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-Thomas Jefferson
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 08:15:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loopy

It's such a difference for fall stockings. Rarely does anyone show up. I'm guessing it might have to do with the fact most fish are stocked in delayed harvests for the fall. And no one is keeping those fish....legally.

Agreed, though I have seen guys fishing just across the limit of a DHALO to catch and rope the ones that strayed over that way.

While that would be nice, I can also see that having the effect of putting off a lot of 'weekend warriors'. Heck, a 'no fishing at all' rule would probably even tick me off a little, but for argument's sake, we'll say C&R in the first 48 hours. Then you'll get guys grumbling that there's no fish there by the time you can fish it, and that the PFBC isn't stocking more than a few dozen fish at each lake/stream.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but it would be making fishing less exciting for the PFBC's bread & butter demographic. Us guys that get out even 25+ days a year are the 'regular customers' that they don't really have to worry about winning over, the kids and the 2-weekend-a-year guys are the ones that will keep spending that kind of money for next to no fishing as long as those two weekends are spectacular catch-fests.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 10:57:11 (permalink)
    usually they stock during the week so the weekend warriors have to wait anyhow.
    i say at least no fishing until the fish know they're not in a truck or a cement run any more!!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 10:58:37 (permalink)
    You make valid points, Cold. I was, indeed, looking at it from an "extend the season" POV. Specifically, some of the smaller streams of my regular haunt. They get stocked once during the season. And with little local support for the putting (and dispersing), those fish are generally "here today, gone tomorrow."

But you're absolutely right; the regular customer's (I like that nomenclature) response will be to find another place or places (chances are, they are already planning an entire SEASON of outings. The PFBC knows that our money's good regardless, and it can ill-afford to disparage the two-bangers. They are the used cars on the lot...that's where the money is .

Very solid, well commmunicated counterpoints...RESPECT!

Wish there was a way to mitigate this and find a happy medium without cumbersome regulation (which nobody enjoys).

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 11:13:52 (permalink)
    Let me start off by saying that I'm not one of the guys that stands right at the truck.  Quite frankly I just don't get up early enough.  But I do understand why there are guys that do this.  For some fisherman this may be one of the few times a year they get out to fish (possibly with a young one) so catching fish is important.  We all may say that we go to fish for the experience or the beauty which is true, but at the end of the day we all want to catch fish (whether you want to admit it or not).

Simply saying that the fish should be given x amount of time before we can fish could also be applied to steelhead.  Where you wouldn't be able to fish with x amount of distance from the mouth of the creek to give the fish a better chance to disperse.....or not able to fish at the manchester hole since that's where a lot of fish get caught up in the low water.

The way I look at it is we're all fisherman that paid money for a fishing license.  If people choose to stand next to the truck that's stocking to catch their fish and their fine with it then let them be.  If you want to stand there then go ahead....if not don't complain about the ones that do.  Personally I avoid the crowds but that's by choice...with that being said I know it's not my right to complain about the people who are willing to stand elbow to elbow.  It's their choice and more power to them.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 12:38:14 (permalink)
    Nice....they're stocking by my house in March

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 12:49:51 (permalink)
    OK ...we b there  :)
    ORIGINAL: rippinlip

Nice....they're stocking by my house in March

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 12:55:31 (permalink)
    Hurry before the Blue Herons get them.LMFAO they have a nesting site right where they stock.I canoed thru one year and looked up and there was a herd of them nesting in the treetops.Pretty cool lookin birds but they can eat some fish.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 13:02:31 (permalink)
    Ya, on the N last year watch one eat 2 across from me till I threw a stone at it.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 13:39:00 (permalink)
    Throw Lead at high velocity next time

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/02 13:45:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Skip16503

Throw Lead at high velocity next time

And grab some spey hackle for me.
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/03 00:24:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Wally Cat

Publishing the stocking schedule also helps the comm. get volunteers to carry buckets along the streams. Thats a lot of leg work for just a couple of people.

if the commission would realize that instead of bucketing fish and using truck followers, contacting local schools, specifically vo-ag departments, they could have streams float stocked like they used to be. 

this is an excuse for apathy wallycat... seriously.  the fish would then be spread out, giving anglers space once again, and we wouldn't deal with the usual, "some guy stole my sons fishing spot," complaints after the first day of trout.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/03 06:23:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

In jersey they start stocking on march 15th and all rivers are closed til first weekend in april. It works pretty well.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bucket Brigade's fishing schedule 2011/02/03 08:39:54 (permalink)
    dimebrite, you're not allowed to fish approved trout waters in march in pa until the first day of trout either. only dha ffo and special regulated waters you can trout fish in march.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/02/03 08:40:55

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: