1 vs 2 piece rods

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/29 06:05:54 (permalink)

1 vs 2 piece rods

any opinions and preferences? advantages and disadvantages? does one out-perform the other? is some performance lost with a 2-piece? just wondering what everyone thinks and prefers.

7 Replies Related Threads

tire-iron
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/29 07:48:32 (permalink)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_modulus

Two piece rods interrupts the modulus, thus one piece would perform better.
    Transportation and storage is the issue, so the tradeoff is usually worth the slightly degraded performance.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/29 08:33:29 (permalink)
    Id say the lack of performance is practically imeasureable; or maybe better said as nearly unidentifiable to the humans sense of touch. Traveling disadvantages outweigh by far
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/01/29 08:38:38
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/29 09:12:48 (permalink)
    I have both one and two piece rods.  For me my casting rods are one piece as I usually use shorter rods in the 6 and 7 foot range and they fit fine in my vehicle.  When it comes to noodle rods or surf rods, it is not practical to have a one piece rod so two or more piece rods are the way to go.

One thing to keep in mind when using a two or more piece rod is to keep the rod together.  Sometimes after you have been casting it for awhile the two pieces will loosen up and you can cast of the top half of the rod.  I lost a rod tip that way one time...  That really sucked.

pax vobiscum +
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/29 09:50:21 (permalink)
    I used to have my rods come apart on a regular bases didn't matter if it was the fly rod or spinning gear. If you flip'um, whip'um, throw, spin or just casual cast it's going to happen. Found out you can slow that action down by the way you put the pieces together. I now use a product called Ferrel Wax(spelling??) and apply a small amount to the male parts of the rod I'm putting together. Insert the pieces together at a 90 degree off center then when they are snug turn them back the 90 degree to center. Really works well even on my 4 piece fly rods. Still needs periodic checking.

Just my nickles worth!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/29 14:43:34 (permalink)
    even if not using ferrel wax; the 90 degree turn definitely keeps it tighter... a little electrical tape around the joints doesn't hurt either; especially if it's a 3 or 4 piece rope thrower...
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/29 23:01:10 (permalink)
    I love the 4 pieces. Easy to carry around and if you use ferrel wax and check your connections from time to time they are never a problem.I have a St. Croix 7wt, Redington 7wt, Cabelas Prestige 4wt, Cabelas Tradition 5wt all in 4 pieces. Easy to transport and/or pack and with a little bit of care and maintenance are fabulous fly rods.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2011/01/30 01:28:26 (permalink)
    I used to feel that multi-piece rods were inferior to 1 pc rods......and I still think they WERE, at one time.  With todays better materials, ferrule design and quality control, I no longer feel that way.  I believe that now, you would have a difficult time discerning a 2-pc from a 1-pc in the same length/action/power.  I have built the same rod (SCIII 7'6" ML/XF) in the 1pc and 2 pc models, and could not tell the difference.

With that being said, ALL of my spinning and casting rods are 1pc.....for 2 reasons:
    1. because all but 1 model is not offered in multi-piece
    2. I transport them in the rod locker of my boat.
    Jump to: