shoot...

Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/28 15:44:11 (permalink)

shoot...

Although I hit it last year.... looks like I missed the january thaw this year. Anyone have a report?

15 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/29 00:26:43 (permalink)
    THAW?.....What thaw?
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/29 06:02:06 (permalink)
    Think that came in december this year, no thaw now let it snow!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/29 06:47:09 (permalink)
    well yesterday hit 31, and the day before as well... thats a thaw compared to how its been.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/29 06:53:09 (permalink)
    actaully just checked the highs from jan 25-28... in this order it was 31,35,30,and 31 yesterday... now 25 today. within thise 4 days someone had to of been blessed with some nice action, i just think whoever it was is keeping it a secret :)
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/29 07:04:36 (permalink)
    sorry for 3 posts in a row, but whitakers posted action yesterday in town pool and DSR; must of been no slush for a few days... of course next weekend when i'm up, the lower river will be binded up again
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/30 04:04:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

of course next weekend when i'm up, the lower river will be binded up again

I suggest adding more fiber to your diet...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/30 13:14:24 (permalink)
    no fiber necessary here; "you guys place" hot wings usually do the trick...lol
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: shoot... 2011/01/30 21:28:51 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,
    Was up Sat and Today ( Sun.)
    Medium pressure up top and very little down below. Shelf ice could be seen down low but generally quite open. All open up top.
        Got out around 10 AM Sat went to LFZ and stayed there for four or five hours. Lost my 3 black stone flys right away with crappy leader that broke right after the hits. Went out for  Drennan and was OK after that but slow for me -should have picked up more black. Just a couple  more fish. The guys with the strike indicators were outfishing everyone  2 or 3 to one in the bridge pool-- correct that 4 or 5 to one. One guy in particular had a LOT of fish on and landed with the indicator, he was next to me and used very thin  but strong leader and #14 black stoneflys. The fish hit light and dont run like the warm weather but its great.
        The only slight issue I have is that the guys with the indicators take up a lot of room.   When 2 or 3 guys are long casting and long drifting they can take up most of one side of the big pool. After a while I move in - They know they are using a lot of room- just be nice and polite about it and the guys are OK- I always ask if they mind me moving in about 30 yards from them - never been refused. Somebody asked a float guy at the LFZ how the action was he replied 17 hookups- he had more after that. Dont know if those guys were striking too late or too early  but most of the hookups were on and off in a couple of seconds- Hook set-the fish rolled and OFF, time after time.
        After getting a lot of snow off the roof I got out late today and went to Ellis. A few guys around with fish on stringers- stayed a couple of hours and apparently missed the bite. A boat guide came by and said it was off for him too. It was 12 or 15 deg. colder today and he mentioned the barometric pressure but the early guys had clearly hooked up.
        Good luck guys---BTW all the fish were dark and there were lots of dead and a few white & dying around too. Reminded me of dead Salmon all over the place- I might be off here but some looked a lot like Hoes.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/31 00:02:52
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/03 19:09:08 (permalink)
    lotta hibernation goin on here
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/03 21:32:47 (permalink)
    in a little less than 24 hrs i'll be up with three of my best friends. its been a long time since we've all been together. 1 of them is going to be very serious about fishing. the other 2 are looking to just hang back and cut loose a little bit in winter wonderland...cant wait...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/03 22:28:11 (permalink)
    Good luck Dime,
      One report said the weather may warm a bit for the weekend. That guy next to me in LFZ was really hooking up with those #14 black stoneflys last Sat.I had on #10's and lost the only 3 I had in about an hour on hookups.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/03 22:29:06
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/04 01:30:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Is it March yet?
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/04 05:51:26 (permalink)

Hi Guys,
    Was up Sat and Today ( Sun.)
    Medium pressure up top and very little down below. Shelf ice could be seen down low but generally quite open. All open up top.
       Got out around 10 AM Sat went to LFZ and stayed there for four or five hours. Lost my 3 black stone flys right away with crappy leader that broke right after the hits. Went out for  Drennan and was OK after that but slow for me -should have picked up more black. Just a couple  more fish. The guys with the strike indicators were outfishing everyone  2 or 3 to one in the bridge pool-- correct that 4 or 5 to one. One guy in particular had a LOT of fish on and landed with the indicator, he was next to me and used very thin  but strong leader and #14 black stoneflys. The fish hit light and dont run like the warm weather but its great.
       The only slight issue I have is that the guys with the indicators take up a lot of room.   When 2 or 3 guys are long casting and long drifting they can take up most of one side of the big pool. After a while I move in - They know they are using a lot of room- just be nice and polite about it and the guys are OK- I always ask if they mind me moving in about 30 yards from them - never been refused. Somebody asked a float guy at the LFZ how the action was he replied 17 hookups- he had more after that. Dont know if those guys were striking too late or too early  but most of the hookups were on and off in a couple of seconds- Hook set-the fish rolled and OFF, time after time.
       After getting a lot of snow off the roof I got out late today and went to Ellis. A few guys around with fish on stringers- stayed a couple of hours and apparently missed the bite. A boat guide came by and said it was off for him too. It was 12 or 15 deg. colder today and he mentioned the barometric pressure but the early guys had clearly hooked up.
       Good luck guys---BTW all the fish were dark and there were lots of dead and a few white & dying around too. Reminded me of dead Salmon all over the place- I might be off here but some looked a lot like Hoes.

nice report retired... you're not off on the hoes. In recenet years there has been a noticable population of coho that has been winterizing and spawning from january in to mid february. Man, isn't this river f....in awesome.....
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/04 05:53:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Is it March yet?

I shouldn't be saying this, but hasn't anybody checked the weather :)
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: shoot... 2011/02/04 18:02:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

ORIGINAL: pafisher

Is it March yet?

I shouldn't be saying this, but hasn't anybody checked the weather :)

Yes I did....it's still ccoooolldd !
    Jump to: