Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!!

Author
YankeeAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/17 14:46:43 (permalink)

Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!!

In our last few trips we have hit fish in 75 - 100% of spots.
Not bad odd's, if you are a gambler. :) Or angler?  :)
-
Anywhere from 15 fish to one, in almost every spot, 3 to 5 spots fished.(some anglers brand new and other's experinced), per trip,
on the heated drift boat.  :)
-
Mostly Winter lyes. (Some transitional)
-
This is very normal for these colder water temp's, that the fish are useing to not only conserve energy, but also to feed and feel safe.
-
Preparing for thier Spring Spawning rituals.
-
They are no different than ourselves :)
We all need the same 3 things to survive as they do. K.I.S.S.  :)
-
These are normally (Winter time) where the water is deep and slow, with food.
1. We want safety from predators.
2. We want food to sustain us.
3. We do not want to expel anymore energy than is necessary to survive. If we expel more energy than what we take in, we will all die.
Soooo, these fish are just like you and I.
Searching out these area's (prime lyes) that provide these fish the same thing that we all need to survive will hopefully allow you with a few more fish on, hopefully more?
-
Our Steelhead average 8 to 12 lb's.
Some smaller, but many larger.
Interested?
Few, if any other angler's around presently.
You'll have almost the entire river to yourself!
Best Fish's,
Randy
www.yankeeangler.com

12 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/17 16:09:49 (permalink)
    What has been the prime bait Randy- 
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/17 19:28:32 (permalink)
    The river has got to hit 750 before I will spend the time & $ to fish it.

Too low, too clear, too cold, shelf ice, slush.

Hoping for a Jan Thaw - but I doubt it this year...

I hope the Tug gets alot of snowpack for later on - not much on the hills up there.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/17 20:47:54 (permalink)
      We were up at Tug a couple of weeks ago with the x-country skis and there was no more white stuff up there than in Pulaski- hope it changes cause 250 or so has to really be stinky.
    You guys have unleashed a new monster cause Im ready to go up and brave the cold again in a week or so. Almost this week, but 250?
    Im real comphy with 500 and hate 1200 but the trickle has to really be lousy and I am not talking about how many hookups you can get but about fishing pleasure.
      Catching fish and Fishing are two different things.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/18 09:18:59
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/18 14:47:15 (permalink)
    Hi Retired and all,
    Just my idea, experience,  and years of expertise's, during the Winter time.  :)
    Everything well work, given it's time and place.  :)
    I normally just use aquatics. (During the Winter time. :)
    BUT, your plastic beads, egg sacks, worm's - fake (rubber pink:)  or real, etc.. well always put a fish on the hook.
    Best of luck,
    Hope this helped.
    Fish on!!!!
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/18 15:30:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Randy.
      Looking outside here in Ct. with  2" of new snow over the foot we got the other day and about a half inch of new ice over the top. YUK. There are even puddles of water on the top of that snow cause of the ice and falling rain, 22 degrees and raining..   I WANT OUT.
    At this point even the lousy 250 would look good.  
       It did help Randy-the more I read the less and less winter steel seems like a mystery-seem like most anything you throw may work on any given day. The list of working baits gathered from all the posts and shops includes pretty much evrything but bluefish surface poppers.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/18 15:38:56
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/18 16:19:48 (permalink)
    Im happy that you and all are safe with your present weather!
    -
    Hear Presently - clear -  (4:13PM) , as I look outside and my temp gauge is 32 degrees. A heat wave!   :)
    It is forecast to falling into the low teens (or single) to upper teens for the next few days. Brrr. Most likely single to lower teen's.
    -
    Im hopeing that no one wants to hire me shortly as my days of doing 5 below zero to 5 above are preety much over?
    Best Fish's to all,
    Best of luck!
    PLENTLY OF FIsh for you all!!
    Randy
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/18 21:32:50 (permalink)
    I took a few drift boat trips in 5deg (and lower temps)..

I never worse my big clumsly Korker K5000 sandalsm because I would be spending most of the time sitting in a drift boat - and some guys don't like them big spikes in their boat either..

Even though there was a propane heater in the boat, and I had wool socks and bootfoot waders on, the cold permeated through the bottom of the metal boat, through the soles of the waders, into my feet.

If I had them Korkers on, I would have had a double shoe sole which would have helped.

But lets face it - single digit temps in a floating refrigerator is a tough gig 4 sure...

Stay inside Randy and work on your autobiography.... :)
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/18 21:33:59 (permalink)

I took a few drift boat trips in 5deg (and lower temps)..

20/20 hindsight:
    I never wore my big clumsly Korker K5000 sandals because I would be spending most of the time sitting in a drift boat - and some guys don't like them big spikes in their boat either..

Even though there was a propane heater in the boat, and I had wool socks and bootfoot waders on, the cold permeated through the bottom of the metal boat, through the soles of the waders, into my feet.

If I had them Korkers on, I would have had a double shoe sole which would have helped.

But lets face it - single digit temps in a floating refrigerator is a tough gig 4 sure...

Stay inside Randy and work on your autobiography.... :)

YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/20 16:22:18 (permalink)
    I'd agree, single digists or below are tuff. Unless there is no wind, sun and your hitting 20 or more Steelies.
    That was my last day like this and we all had a blast and stayed very warm. !
    -
    Otherwise, pick your Winter days last minute.
    Whether with a guide or not.
    Thats what most anglers do at this time of the year.
    The correct conditions can make it a day for (KINGS) memories. Otherwise cold and uncomfortable.
    Last minute is the way to book your trips here, in the Winter time, in my opinion :)
    -
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    P.S. If you had bought waders, 5 mils, especially w/ some insulated boot's (1,200 thinsulate) Like I wear, your feet would have felt like they were in a nice warm blanket in front of a nice warm fire, like mine do, all day long, no matter the temp. :)
    -Hope this helps.
    Please email here for more info. on these extreme warm waders for Winter time fishing or hunting.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/01/24 07:52:56 (permalink)
    Randy - I have a pair of the heavyweight waders with big insulated bootfoots.

But I was not wearing them that day - instead I was heavily layered with breathables over the layers. You are right, the big boots with the thick soles ould have changed things.

The only problem with the 5mm's is that if I walk any distance, especially busting through snow - I find myself sweated-up, and then get cold as a result of that. The 5mm's are also pretty heavy. These things would be a non-factor if I chose a boatride or stayed close to my vehicle.

One last thing that I do not care for - I come pretty close to popping an artery in my forehead when I try to squeeze my girlish figure (beer belly and all) into them waders (but I digress - that is Operator-Error and cannot be blamed on the product). :)

Matter of fact, if you or anyone else is interested:

Like NEW - felt bottoms not even dirty - Orvis 5mm neos bootfoot waders.
    Bought directly from Orvis 5 years ago.
    Worn twice at the Salmon River - in snow.
    Since then, have been stored inside - laying flat on the top rack of my walk-in closet - no folds, no dryrot. - LIKE NEW.
    Bootsize 13.

So warm you can lay down and take a nap in a snowbank.
    Ideal for the stationary types - or waterfowl blind-sitters.

asking $75 - buyers pays shipping. Will deliver depending on area, or meet on SR if our trip dates align.

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/01/24 07:59:33
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/02/12 18:20:37 (permalink)
    Drake,
    Your discomfort was simply due too:
    1. Your wore the wrong waders for the daily conditions?
    2.. Your guide did not helpfully and or professionally suggest the correct gear for the conditions at hand, that DAY?
    3. You didnt hook into (most importantly) enouph fish, to keep that adrenaline running, to keep you warm?
    4. You hired the wrong guide? (Maybe not taking into concern your comfort level and safety as #1 (As I always do?)
    -
    Your temp's are tuff.
    Ive done them plenty of times, with incredible Steelhead fishing result's,  BUT, as you and I get older, picking your day (last minute) is the best way.
    -
    Hoping that you have more comfortable and a lil wiser fishing days ahead up here. :)
    I'd rather see you with heavy duty spikes and waders w/ those temp's. on - in my boat,  than not. (Safety #1 - Comfort #2) F---  the boat!
    Best Fish's,
    Randy
    -
    Drake, please correct me in all ways, if Im wrong? As I expect nothing less from a good fishing (bantering) freind and an even great'r angler (he-he) like yourself. :)
    But, hiring a Pro. Guide would have left you w/ a much better feeling.
    -
    P.S. If your in my driftboat, you will never walk (if that at all) more than 100 feet (at most, normally 30 feet) to fish a specific spot where the fish are LOADED! - Ye-Haa!!
    -
    Randy Jones
    www.yankeeangler.com - Full Time fishing guide on the S,R,  :)
    -
    Please see my above post's for further fishing fun!!!!

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - Ye-Haaa!!!! 2011/02/13 05:09:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: YankeeAngler

Drake,
    Your discomfort was simply due too:
    1. Your wore the wrong waders for the daily conditions?
    2.. Your guide did not helpfully and or professionally suggest the correct gear for the conditions at hand, that DAY?
    3. You didnt hook into (most importantly) enouph fish, to keep that adrenaline running, to keep you warm?
    4. You hired the wrong guide? (Maybe not taking into concern your comfort level and safety as #1 (As I always do?)
    -
    Your temp's are tuff.
    Ive done them plenty of times, with incredible Steelhead fishing result's,  BUT, as you and I geteneral Advice older, picking your day (last minute) is the best way.

Good General Advice there Mr Jones.

I don't think it was the poor choice in waders that day I got cold feet in the boat. The waders were fine, it was just the frigid single digit temps, no bottom mat in the driftboat to prevent contact with metal bottom of boat with thin felt soles, and my decision to not wear korkers - which do provide that extra sole between felts and bottom. My feet were the only thing that really got cold - and they got cold through the bottom of my feet.

Did I mention that it was so cold that I my professional guide had to pour warm coffee on my hand after I attempted to "juice up" an egg sack against the gunwale of the boat and the sac & my fingers froze to the metal - like the kid on the flagpole in "A Christmas Story"?

We hooked into fish - it was a slow day, but we did encounter fishez.

Our guide was very professional, courteous, kind, obedent, cheerful, thrify,brave, clean, and above all reverent.
    He reminded me of that Action Hero Bruce Willis "The Last Boy Scout"

Sometimes it's easy to schedule a trip at the last minute - especially when I fly solo - which is a good part of the time. But if others are involved, pre-planning often becomes necesary and, as you know all too well, can be a shot in the dark with the ever-changing weather patterns of the Poooooolaski area.

I enjoy sitting in a driftboat and watching the river go by. I enjoy the journey down the river and the conversation with boatmates almost as much as catching the fishez.

But I also enjoy, bustin trail - where no trail has been busted before - especially when the snow is high and fluffy like the Poooolaski brand of freshly fallen Lake O Lake Effect flakes.
    The incredible scenery also takes my breath away, - almost as much as the time I tried to blaze my arse through 3' of snow drifts from the Papermill bridge up to Clark's Falls via north bank trail. I'ze almost felt like Fred G Sanford proclaiming to his beloved Elizabeth that IT's the BIG ONE!!!

Hoping that you have more comfortable and a lil wiser fishing days ahead up here. :)

Well, thank you for your concern RJ, next time include a prayer for me to navigate through the rest of my life's activities - I can use all the help I can get in just about every department...

I'd rather see you with heavy duty spikes and waders w/ those temp's. on - in my boat,  than not. (Safety #1 - Comfort #2) F---the boat!

It was not like the Guide gave a shat about his boat's appearance that he told me not to wear spikes in his boat. It was my decision to leave them in my truck because I am just that type of courteous, respectful kind of guy that you have come to admire and respect..

The guide's boat was very sea-worthy, had some battle scars and scatches on it - like a well-worn fishing ourfit that feels good in the hand - not a display case boo rod that is meant to sniff and re-tube before it begins to oxidize...Most importantly, our lives were in the hands of a highly-skilled oarsman who took us down the river and kept us dry from the 35deg water.

But, hiring a Pro. Guide would have left you w/ a much better feeling.

I assure you Sir, that our Guide was TOP-NOTCH PRO Material, who knows that river better than the back of his hand. He even went so far as to insist on moving both propane heaters up front for us. It was a wonderful gesture on his part - sacrificing his own personal comfort for his clients...

It was a great idea, until I leaned too close against the front of the boat as I was battling my biggest fish of the day, and suddenly smelled that noxious, odorius smell of burning petroleun products which was the outer shell of my waders.

Amazingly there were no holes in the waders, but the surface was a bit runny and droopy after it stopped smoldering and cooled down..

The only casualties occurred when "Little Drake" suffered first degree burns on his forehead, and I sadly discovered that I burnt up a smallbag of schwagg - not exactly in the manner in which I originaly intended to do so.

P.S. If your in my driftboat, you will never walk (if that at all) more than 100 feet (at most, normally 30 feet) to fish a specific spot where the fish are LOADED! - Ye-Haa!!

Tell you what RJ, I will publically commit to book a float trip with you on the Salmon River for Jan 2012. I am picking Jan because I hope we get slammed with some bad, cold weather (throw anything at us but high winds), so we can all be put to the test. It should be a good time, and honest to god - NO BS - I hope conditions are tough- because I would really be interested to see close-up how you do your "Litte Buggy Setups" that are effective in the lowdrolms of winter fishing. We all have our different methods of madness - but I want a peek behind the curtain into the dark side of the Yankee Angler's arsenal and mind-set.

Put a Jan 2012 date into your book RJ. I can't give you an exact date yet, but I will do so no later than Oct 2011.

later..

p.s. off to hopefully blast a few crows at dawn - and watch God drop a few black turds, then make black snowflakes slowly follow the turd to the ground.

Then it's off to the lake to catch some of them big stupid brook trout that the PA Fish Commission stocked just two days ago - by pouring them through a big hole in the ice - like a cement truck delivery. My neighbor loves to eat trout - and I can guarantee he will have three fine specimens - it's just a matter of jiggin them up. then giggin them to to the ice surface via a Rapala fillet knife tip through their trouty-pea-sized brain...

Have a Good One.

later

p.s. - 6 days till the better half returns from trip. Where did I put that honey-do list????

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/13 05:26:05
    Jump to: