Felt Or Rubberz

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/13 19:07:52 (permalink)

Felt Or Rubberz

So guys- trying to keep my mind on fishing some. We got a cool group here that's actually kept up after the Salmons returned to Big Riva in the sky.
So here's the deal I want you guys to speak up on. This felt deal- some states have banned it due to aquatic hitch hikers. No lies here- I still gots felt with studs but am needing a pair of Boots as soon as the income tax returns come.
Any of you guys have rubber & if so is it any good? I don't wanna blow $ and be disappointed and out $$.

Lyrical

14 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/13 19:19:31 (permalink)
    Is it possible to peel off felt and glue new rubber tread on?
    With studs or at least screws?

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/13 19:47:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

1.Is it possible to peel off felt and glue new rubber tread on?
    2.With studs or at least screws?

1. probably possible but it wouldn't be worth the effort for me.
    2.i've known guys who do the screws/studs...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/13 19:48:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

So guys- trying to keep my mind on fishing some. We got a cool group here that's actually kept up after the Salmons returned to Big Riva in the sky.
    So here's the deal I want you guys to speak up on. This felt deal- some states have banned it due to aquatic hitch hikers. No lies here- I still gots felt with studs but am needing a pair of Boots as soon as the income tax returns come.
    Any of you guys have rubber & if so is it any good? I don't wanna blow $ and be disappointed and out $$.

rubber bottoms is about all i've got for SR... with corkers/spikes worn over them of course
    noodle one
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/13 21:47:41 (permalink)
    salmotrutta,
    I was out to CA. for the first couple of weeks this pass Dec. fishing for steel with my son. The rivers we fish have some big rocks and you really need to watch how move out rhere. I have felt with studs boots and I am glad I did. My son has a new pair with rubber soles and rubber studs and he was not happy with then. I know he is looking at some new one that have rubber soles and steel studs.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/14 00:27:23 (permalink)
       Im lucky in that I have a place by the river and my boots stay there - no hitchikers to other waters.
    I'm down to 2 styles with stocking foot waders. Plain felt and felt with atttached studs ( prefer the studs lately). I still have a few strap ons around from many years ago and hate them. Klunky and now and then whey will slip and have to be reset while fishing. They are heavy and a real pain walking.    You need studs though at times of high water and specially on the lower river with all that slippery slate.
    Boots and stocking waders seem much cheaper now and there is a greater variety with some real bargains around. Also the felt no longer falls off like it used to.
    Frankly in LOW water on the upper river I commonly fish with just felt bottom hip boots. Gotta be a bit careful in some spots but if your up to the knees you are standing where you should be fishing anyhow. They are also great on the feeders. Dicks carried them for about 25 bucks.        Personally if I had the studded boots Id go right for the new stocking waders - the stores  by the river have some real competitive prices if you shop a bit.
       This is one of those things where youll get ten responses with ten different answers. Different strokes==

btw--love those little stars- its the nickname for Richard
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/14 00:44:05
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/14 06:53:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: noodle one

salmotrutta,
    I was out to CA. for the first couple of weeks this pass Dec. fishing for steel with my son. The rivers we fish have some big rocks and you really need to watch how move out rhere. I have felt with studs boots and I am glad I did. My son has a new pair with rubber soles and rubber studs and he was not happy with then. I know he is looking at some new one that have rubber soles and steel studs.

you are right with the felt combined with studs. they are great. i had an oldschool pair of garry borgers felt bottoms with spikes built in. i always referred to them as my salmon stompers. felt in the winter time can be very dangerous though, even with the studs. the felt freezes and all of the snow sticks to it. i don't recomend them for winter fishing...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/14 13:29:30 (permalink)
    Dimes right about the buildup on the felt in winter but if I remember Salmo you are not a winter guy so the stocking  waders with  pins on felt boots will be just right. On the occasional cold weather trip they will get you by without too much walking around. That buildup comes right off when you step in the water and work on it a bit. Can be a real pain on long snowy walks though.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/14 15:20:44 (permalink)
    i tried the new rubber 'sticky' wading boots without studs and heard about other brands. they are no way even close to felt bottoms.
    i just got a new pair of llbean rubber soles with studs, havn't used them yet though.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/01/14 15:21:31

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/15 05:24:09 (permalink)
    First off, I think the proposed ban of felt soles is BS (a ploy established between gear makers and state agencies possibly?).

Another example of "nannyism" by govt.

Yes I know, some action is better than no action - but what about the boot laces? neo booties? seams in waders? shirt sleeves if you dunk your arm? the duckies & the geese and the other critters that move from one wtaerway to another?

I have felt waders - several pair - two sets that are near brand new.
    I have no intention of spending money to satisfy another Nanny Rule.

If/when the time comes when felt is banned in Ny and/or Pa, I will grind the felt off the bottom of my boots, sand the bottoms smooth, then simply wear my trusty Korker K5000 Caveman Style sandals which are indestructible, good on any surface - including high pitched roofs, do not accumulate snow, and can be used with any type of shoe,boot,sneaker, etc.

Contrary to what the wading shoe manufacturers WANT YOU TO DO, there is no need to send mucho $ on new fishing shoes.

The set of Korkers I have are 8 years old and still work like new. I was so impressed with them, that I bought a second pair and stashed them away in my closet (in case Korkers decided to change the design in the future). Some day, in the future, I might be able to pull that second pair out- if the original pair of sandals ever wear out.

I know some guys think that the Korker Sandals are unattractive, too heavy, yada,yada. I don't have a problem with them.

Do my legs get a bit tired after trudging around the river for a couple of miles while wearing them?

YES - it is called EXCERCISE.

The only word of caution I have is don't drive when wearing the Korker sandals. Life's a **** when your foot gets stuck to both the gas & brake pedal at an intersection!!!

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/01/15 05:28:10
    JoeySimms
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/15 17:02:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

i tried the new rubber 'sticky' wading boots without studs and heard about other brands. they are no way even close to felt bottoms.
    i just got a new pair of llbean rubber soles with studs, havn't used them yet though.

the rubber soles are a disaster waiting to happen without studs... I went skating down the natural water slides earlier this fall.  Boots are being returned and already went back to felt.  I believe the ban for pa starts in 2012.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/15 18:14:51 (permalink)
       It would be just like  Govt. to ban felt and make us all go out and buy new stuff. Why not -improve the economy and other BS, maybe there is even a GREEN issue they can quote.
    A tackle store owners dream come true. Next we can get rid of mono and have them use biodegradable thread.  Hey , I know- how bout getting rid of all the plastics in our gear and go back to bamboo, after all the Chinese need the money.Yipppeeee
       The harsh reality is that big business and non sports people have created more invasive envrionmental issues than sportsmen ever could if they tried.
    Zebra mussels caused by shipping blowing their water tanks in the lakes and those snake owners letting stuff go and forever changing the ecology of the South, Snakeheads and other fish being let go by fish tank owners and exotic breeders who got tired of their hobby. Kudzu taking over swamplands in the lower half of the country cause people  liked it in backyard fountains. Those darn big white swans that got away from the place in Jersey and have pushed nesting ducks out of half the ponds in the northeast, Bugs that kill all the evergreens that came in on ornamental shrubs ETC ETC ETC  No federal or state lawsuits or criminal actions naaaaa=
       Yea make us jump through hoops or get pinched and loose our licences  and never mind those other guys- they dont hunt or fish so lettum be.
        Is the place  who let the swans out paying for the reduced nesting of other species. Is shipping paying for the Zebra Mussel eradication, Is the pet store industry ponying up on the snake issue or is that nut who started raising snakeheads for food and lost them in a flood ponying up, is the X mass tree business stopped from  cutting trees and sending them allover the place full of bugs - NOOOOOOO -
      Those fishermen and duck hunters with those dangerous felt bottom boots better BEWARE.   But geeee it helps a little and we allll have to do our part--
    I smell antis and idiots who dont have the guts to attack the real issues.
        I love the one where you arent supposed to move firewood from place to place for your home or camp- but the logging industry still moves TONS around and the Xmass tree business moves stuff allover the country.
        Pulaski is near starving now- keep it up  - see how many one trip a year guys and weekenders return ( or dont). They are already killing the golden goose up there with parking restrictions so why not keep it up -yehaaaa-lets all go to the pet store and buy some stuff to let go.

Dont fire me up and get me started---Im trying to have a nice time here.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/16 03:42:28
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/16 10:55:04 (permalink)
    RT - great examples of Big Brother turning a blind eye (if the price is right).

You forgot about the messed up fish that are basically ODing and/or growing 6 extra fins from ingesting the remants of prescription drugs (which sewer treatment plants are unable to filter out) flushed down the toilet of millions of American pill-junkies.. - Courtesy of Uncle Sam & Big Pharma.

No use complaining about it - it's like peeing into the wind.

The funny thing is - my korker sandals have enough strap material to house a few million of those microscopic didymo critters, but they are a valid alternatives for the reg writers.

As Bugs Bunny would say "What a Bunch of Maroons"..

even funnier is that the major percentage of fly fishermen will run out to their favorite fly shop and blow mucho $ on the latest high-tech,cable-restrained-laced-NASA-polymer-rubber-interchangeable-soles..- courtesy of their gullibility to the fishing gear marketing programs.

As PT Barnum would say "There's a sucker born every minute"..
    post edited by draketrutta - 2011/01/16 10:57:49
    JoeySimms
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/16 23:35:49 (permalink)
    . boom
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Felt Or Rubberz 2011/01/17 19:00:37 (permalink)
    So PA is banning felt? FUGGERS.

Felt in snow- stripe duct tape on the souls & snow won't build up.

I love felt with carbide. I think I'll just stay there for now if I can.

Lyrical
    Jump to: