Edinboro Lake Ice Report

Author
imrinc
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/07 18:08:03 (permalink)

Edinboro Lake Ice Report

I was out on Edinboro Lake late this afternoon to a waypoint off the cemetery (accessed off Rt. 99). I've done well in that spot before but only managed two little bluegills. The ice is in good shape though. There is about 8 inches of fluffy snow on top and it is VERY slick underneath that! Drilled many holes on the way out and there is a good 8-inches of ice.

Maybe tomorrow I can find some keeper bluegills, crappies or perch....make do til Presque Isle freezes good again.

North Platte Bum

5 Replies Related Threads

58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Edinboro Lake Ice Report 2011/01/08 07:46:23 (permalink)
    Good to see the snow froze back over from last week. I was out last Sunday and it was not real safe. Tried off one of the fingers.....got a wet leg. Went off the cemetery side and walked maybe 30 yards, drilled a hole. The top layer was crusted over from the rain and about 2" thick. Once you got passed that layer, the auger dropped about 12" and then you hit solid ice....two turns and you were through.

I will probably be out at edinboro today around noon and will fish till dark. I know what you mean, I normally get a few nice gills there, but the weeds seem to be gone. I had to drill a lot of holes a couple weeks ago to find even one weed. If you happen to see a blue clam out moving, It will be me.

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    RE: Edinboro Lake Ice Report 2011/01/09 08:23:52 (permalink)
    Went out....and didn't fair so well. Set up in around 8' of water and jigged for 4 hours. Only 1 small gill caught. The water was murky and it was hard to get a good image on the Aqua-Vu. I was right off the 99 side, off towards the cemetery. Was going to make a move, but the white out conditions made it tough. It was easier to sit in the heated shanty. Snow was about 6-8" at dark and decided to pack it up. Tough drag. I'll be out at Pymatuning today. I bet that will be a tougher drag...........

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Edinboro Lake Ice Report 2011/01/09 13:55:38 (permalink)
    Edinboro is one of those lakes where a camera is useless...even if you have the rare black ice and are working in shallow water, visibility is typically 2' at best.
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    RE: Edinboro Lake Ice Report 2011/01/10 07:12:25 (permalink)
    I agree.....Edinboro can be a funny lake. I fish it around 50 times a winter and it seems to be different every time. I was out on it 12/31 off the 99 side, set up in 8 FOW and dropped the camera. I could see very well that day and was able to locate a little structure. I went back out after the thaw, same spot, and could not even see 2' in front of me. Saturday, it was about the same. I think I am going to try my luck out on the fingers this week if the shoreline is still good. Last week the shoreline was pretty thin -

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: Edinboro Lake Ice Report 2011/01/13 10:50:04 (permalink)
    any of you ever pick up any eyes in there i heard it was a half decent lake for them

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    Jump to: