Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/07 10:53:34 (permalink)

Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos

I'll caption some photos if there is something unique about them.  If not, I'll just add the photos without comment.

Game Land hunt.

Winter Preserve Chukar hunt.

Long distance honor.

Honoring a point while making a retreive.

Game land hunt.

Good Friday Preserve Chukar hunt (its nice to hunt in April -- LOL)  As well trained as the dogs are, they can never sit for a proper hero shot photo.  One always has to be goofing off.

Going on point in the middle of a retrieve.

Preserve chukars aren't that dumb either.  Notice that it is keeping the tree between the hunter and itself.

Game land hunt.

Winter Preserve Chukar hunt.

A few pheasant photos.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

22 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 11:06:13 (permalink)
    Great pics DarDys!
    Looks like TONS of fun!
    Those are some incredibly disciplined dogs.
    "Honoring a point while making a retreive." & "Long distance honor" Impressive.
    And the 29th? pic....talk about close quarters!
    Awesome, thanks for posting them up.
    post edited by Pork - 2011/01/07 11:07:04

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 11:08:01 (permalink)
    Dardys,
    Fantastic pics!  Thanks for sharing.

I have a question...
    How/why do dogs know the difference between a live/dead bird from long distances?  Or even 10 feet for that matter?
    The good dogs I have hunted over in the past would never point a dead bird.  How do they know?
    I always wondered.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 11:12:18 (permalink)
    Well I'm glad to see that you included some hunts for some of those wild birds on the Game Lands, ya know just so us regular old license holders don't feel left out and to show us that you are capable of killing a bird that wasn't raised in a pen

Here's a question for you: I noticed that in some of the flush pics your dogs seem to be breaking/chasing. Is that observation correct, and if so, is that something that you train them to do, or is this an act of disobedience?

Really enjoyed the photos of your dogs working. I have a lab that I trained as a waterfowl retriever, though I'll take him to flush some birds. Sometimes he seems like he flushes birds on purpose, other times not so much. Although I never did any flushing work with him, so I'll take what I can get.

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 11:38:11 (permalink)
    DarDys, some excellent pics, and awesome dogs!
    Love watching them work! Thanks for sharing
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 11:52:03 (permalink)
    great photos man, i love it!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 12:17:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing, great photos.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 13:55:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

DarDys, some excellent pics, and awesome dogs!
    Love watching them work! Thanks for sharing

+1

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 13:59:58 (permalink)
    Great shots.. gotta love those dogs !!!!

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/07 15:55:45 (permalink)
    Really enjoyed those pictures.Your pooches are fine looking specimens of their breed.
    Heres something you may find interesting.My best friend is a white pure bred Boxer and she is quite a bird dog.The only thing is we have no pheasants for her to chase so she chases turkeys.20 yrs ago there were no wild turkeys in my immediate area but due to the trap and transfer program they are here now.Mollie cuts a turkey trail and she'll run that trail until she flushes them,and that chase can go for awhile.Needless to say when those chases happen I get alot of exercise trying to keep up!
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/08 09:37:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing you little slice of heaven. As far as cost: PRICELESS
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/08 10:20:46 (permalink)
    Those are great! Makes me want to get out and hunt, but toooo dang cold for me.lol

ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/08 20:23:46 (permalink)
    DarDys,
    Grew up hunting with beagles.My father raised Lazy hollow beagles for 50 years.I raised brittanys for awhile.Nothing like hunting over a dog.Thank you for the memories.Ray
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 07:50:23 (permalink)
    Cool pics there Shawn.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 09:09:09 (permalink)
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to answer some questions, but here we go.

Ironhed -- how does the dog know if the bird is live or dead from a distance?

I have a theory on that.  Flushing dogs key in on foot scent, but pointing dogs use a combination of body scent and breath scent.  Since the bird is dead, it has a lingering body scent, but no breath scent.  The dog identifies the bird (each bird smells somewhat simalr, but is also unique as well) by its body scent, so it knows the bird, but with no breath scent, it is deemed dead.

On the flip side are birds that are wounded, but not dead.  These birds have much of their body scent either air washed off from flight or actually "blasted" off from being shot, but are still breathing.  The dog identifies the bird from its breath, but with no body scent, it somehow knows that it is wounded and will pick it up -- whereas if it had both body and breath scent, it wouldn't touch it.

Of interesting note -- notice when birds are stocked by the PGC, the flushing dog guys do well right away and the pointing dog guys don't really start to locate birds for 45 minutes to an hour.  The birds have their body scent basically air washed off while riding in the crates in the truck, so there isn't much for the pointing dogs to go one until the birds have been out for a while.  this is why I alwasy give missed birds 30 minutes be fore starting to look for them -- they need to regain the body scent.  Because flushing dogs key on foot scent, they find freshly stocked birds right way, but as the birds settle into hiding spots, that foot scent that leads to there diminishes.

rsquared -- breaking dogs -- trained or disobedience?

Pointing dogs can be trained to do three things -- break on the flush; be "steady to wing," but break on the shot; or be "steady to wing and shot" and not break at all unless commanded to do so, if at all.  All are rooted somewhat in history or tradition.

Pointing dogs, pointers, setters, etc., were developed on estates in Europe for the purpose of subsistance or market hunting -- not sport hunting.  In fact setters, originally did just that -- they found birds, then sat down, hence the name.  The game keeper would then toss a net over the dog and birds.  Because there was no refridgeration then, the birds could be put into cages and taken to market alive.

As ice making became more prevalent, sport sort of entered the picture.  Estate families would invite each other over for social events (many to set up marriages or do business) and hunting was a way to pass the time.  It was also they way to secure the dinner for the feast.  Since one could not tell how disciplined there guests were with a shotgun or how drunk they were for that matter and they did not want their dogs shot, training to be steady to "wing" became the norm.  This ensured that the dog was not in the way of a quick trigger finger.  Also, because the pointing dogs did not retrieve the game, the hired help did, it didn't matter if the dog marked where birds went down or not.

The tradition changed a little when pointing dogs came to the US, particularly in the southern plantations.  Hunters rode on wagons until the dogs struck point; disembarked; shot at the covey rise of quail; put the pointers back on the wagon; and released the labs or spaniels to do the retreiving work.  They literally stuck to the names -- pointers pointed birds, retreivers retreived birds.  As they started to create field trials for pointing dogs, in which birds were not shot (these were held during the off season for something to do), dogs were trained to be "steady to wing and shot" (a blank gun was used) because 1) it looked good, 2) it required a higher degree of training, 3) the birds weren't shot so the dog didn't need to mark them; 4) had it been an actual hunt, labs would have done the retreiving anyway; and 5) this trained pointers to never touch a bird -- live or dead -- which was an immediate disqualification.

While all of this worked well, it didn't suit the northern or western US hunter that had a limited number of dogs.  So pointers were b@$tardized into retreiving.  This is not easy.  The dog's inbred inclination is to stay away from birds and they are now being asked to stay away from live ones, but pick up dead ones and chase down wounded ones.  Some just won't do it because of their genetics.  Some are "force fetch" trained to do it in order to over ride their breeding.

In any instance, because pointers are not retreivers by nature, they need to see where a bird went down in order to mark it and get close to where it is so that their nose can find it.  That is why a lot of norther and western hunters, particularly those that hunt heavy cover, train their dogs to break toward the direction that the bird flew.  The idea is that the dog will get a direction and distance sight line so they can get close enough to smell the downed bird.

In "shoot to retreive" competitions, which are the ones I enter, there is no subjectivity concerning anything such as the tail is straight enough or they rub the fur off the bottom of their chest, etc.  It is simply the dog finding the bird; holding point until the hunter flushes it; the bird being bagged with as few shots as possible; the bird being retreived to within one step of the hunter; and the shortest amount of time to accomplish it all.  This more closely, in my opinion, simulates hunting condtions, especailly in PA.

Since a retreive counts for points; the bird must be in hand to be counted as bagged; and time is a factor, I prefer that the dog break on wing so that it can mark the bird ensuring that it finds it for the retreive and it takes the least amount of time.  I have seen competitions lost because of the extra time it took a "steady to wing and shot" trained dog to be sent for a retrieve and come back.   So I train mine to break on the flush.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 14:36:29 (permalink)
    Very good read Dardys, learn something new every day....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 15:00:18 (permalink)
    Very interesting DarDys. Really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out.

So now when my lab breaks on a shot, I can just tell people I actually trained him to do that and he's not being a disobedient knucklehead
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 15:12:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

Very interesting DarDys. Really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out.

So now when my lab breaks on a shot, I can just tell people I actually trained him to do that and he's not being a disobedient knucklehead

Its your story -- tell it any way you want.

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 16:58:49 (permalink)
    You theory makes more sense than any other I've heard.
    Great read!  Thanks for taking the time.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/10 18:19:39 (permalink)
    Way cool.

Do you hunt grouse at all with your dogs?

Are there any field trials in NWPA?  I would like to see one.  Are spectators allowed?

w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/11 09:18:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: worm_waster

Way cool.

Do you hunt grouse at all with your dogs?

Are there any field trials in NWPA?  I would like to see one.  Are spectators allowed?

w_w.

I do hunt grouse with the occassionally, but prefer not to do so.  There are a lot of ways for a dog to get injured in the grouse habitat we have around here and I don't like to take the chance.

I am not sure about field trials or "shoot to Retrieve" (they are quite different competitions) in your area.  Typically spectators are permitted.

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/11 18:49:35 (permalink)
    I understand your feelings about your dog's health.  The pheasant fields are much more dedicated

Growing up, we had a couple of Labs for waterfowl and a Beagle for bunnies.  The Beagle would flush and retrieve birds.

I've never seen anything close to a good bird dog.

I had a buddy in college who had an English Setter.  It may have a been a good dog, but the owner spent little time with it in the off season, and spent most of the season yelling while "correcting" her with a shock collar.  I would rather hunt alone than with dog/owner like that.

I had a nice little beagle and sadly lost it in a bitter custody dispute years ago... 

One thing I am curious about.  When people go to these "shoot to retrieve" trials, are the dead birds used for food, or are they disposed of?w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting with the Pointers 2010 Photos 2011/01/12 10:45:34 (permalink)
    In "shoot to retrieve" trials the birds go to the competitors that shot them.  Most of the cost of these trial is in the birds, so they guys want them to eat.

Jump to: