Pheasant hunt

Author
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/06 06:43:24 (permalink)

Pheasant hunt

A few buddies and I went on a paid Pheasant hunt @ Gobblers knob yesterday. We had no dogs so it was quite tough,I really went for the walk but maybe shoot a pheasant. Saw some really messed up stuff like dead birds and spent shells lying everywhere . Could not figure out why someone would shoot birds then just let them lay?????? maybe a couple birds were not found after getting shot BUT not that many. Some were nice birds!! We ended up with one real nice pheasant and a good walk. It only cost ed 10 buck per gun with the first 2 birds for free. Should have cost 20 for the first gun and 10 for any additional, they cut use a deal Dave

19 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 07:58:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

A few buddies and I went on a paid Pheasant hunt @ Gobblers knob yesterday. We had no dogs so it was quite tough,I really went for the walk but maybe shoot a pheasant. Saw some really messed up stuff like dead birds and spent shells lying everywhere . Could not figure out why someone would shoot birds then just let them lay?????? maybe a couple birds were not found after getting shot BUT not that many. Some were nice birds!! We ended up with one real nice pheasant and a good walk. It only cost ed 10 buck per gun with the first 2 birds for free. Should have cost 20 for the first gun and 10 for any additional, they cut use a deal Dave

I don't know why guys don't pick up spent casings.  As for dead birds, some are killed and not found, especially without dogs; some are wounded and not recovered and die later; and some are wounded and captured by predators.

And not to sound like a smart butt, but at $10 or $ 20 per gun, you get what you pay for, both in the birds and the experience.  Most middle of the road to better preserves cost $25 - $30 per BIRD, so a 12 bird hunt is in the neighborhood of $300 to $360.  At those prices, you get better cover, better birds, better customer service, a nicer looking facility, etc.  Also, at that pricing, the birds might not have been very healthy to begin with.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 09:52:32 (permalink)
    And the right to "brag" about being able to spend that kind of money on a "preserve hunt"

I would not pay $5 extra to shoot or fish for something I can get with just the proper license here in Pa...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/06 09:53:43
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 10:09:51 (permalink)
    No bragging Doc.  It probably cost me less to belong to my club and get to extend my season to 6 months than it did you to buy trail cams, corn, and a crossbow to not get a deer.

It definately costs me less than three days of tarpon fishing in the Keys.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/01/06 10:16:02

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 10:54:29 (permalink)
    It probably cost me less to belong to my club and get to extend my season to 6 months than it did you to buy trail cams, corn, and a crossbow to not get a deer

12 bird hunt is in the neighborhood of $300 to $360.

Trail Cam = $50.00 at wal-Mart (last year)
    Crosbow = $300.00
    Corn = $0.00 donated by our sportmen's club ($15.00 yearly membership)

so yep one 12 bird hunt equals what I spent on those three items you mention.. VERY GOOD !!!!

Okay .. before it gets too crazy ..

I'M QUILTY....

I spent money to catch Perch on the Edward John this summer ....
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 10:59:36 (permalink)
    You mean you used donated corn to put out as bait to draw the deer off the perserve that is your neighbors property so you can shoot them. Does your sportsmens club know they are contributing to that?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 12:38:05 (permalink)

You mean you used donated corn to put out as bait to draw the deer off the perserve that is your neighbors property so you can shoot them. Does your sportsmens club know they are contributing to that?

Once again we see S-10 making stuff up.....

I have never said I do any of those things....other than put corn out 3 months a year ... The sportsmen's club knows I supplement the deer with corn they provide to me and many many other members who also feed deer and turkeys and that is exactly why they (we) do it... we do not give any out until after the final day of any deer hunting season though... so there is no "baiting" of deer issue other than in S-10's head...

I usually feed deer from December 24th (corn from a neighbor and the club after mid-January)until spring. I have never hunted over the feed === as for drawing deer off the posted property. I doubt the 5-7 deer I feed are the majority of the deer on the posted land or that live in the nearby areas..... there is land entirely around the posted land that is SGL or open to hunting with permission.. there is still part of the field that has corn growing (standing) and I THINK the farmer who leases the land for crops (not the owner who has it posted)is going to let it stand until spring.. so I am not sure what your point is .. the corn acts no different in helping deer thru the winter or stay in the area than does the farmers corn field itself... PLUS == all the blackberry bushes growing in my backyard in the spring.. my three pasture fields for our horses.. a natural spring, or the fact they do not get disturbed very much from hunters or trespassers... all help to make this a good place for me/anyone to hunt deer in... I doubt it has anything to do with my corn for 3 moths a year...

so just what is your point in that reply ????

jealous ?? because I live in an area that has lots of deer... plenty of natural food... farm fields, pasture fields, blackberry bushes in my backyard, mature cherry trees... and a section of about 100 acres that is posted in the middle of it.. and I feed corn during the winter and love to take pictures of the deer feeding there ????

oh yes and because I live here == I hunt here.. just like most property owners that own enough property with deer that decide to hunt there.. I see nothing wrong in hunting ones' own property and the adjoining State Game Land

BTW == I am currently looking into doing this to a 1.5 acre pasture field I do not use for the horses anymore.. ... you'll really have a "kitten" if I decide to make it into a real true food plot like the QDMA ones .. not just feed corn 3 months a year .. won't ya ?????

Just image the deer I'd attract then and be able to shoot in the clover, wheat, beets, soy, etc food plot like on TV .. I'll probably be able to draw in and maybe harvest a couple AR legal bucks too .. maybe even charge a fee to some of the disgruntled deer hunters to come here and hunt over the food plot...then what will you have to post about ???
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/06 12:51:10
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 12:45:45 (permalink)
    Ya know MANY OF S-10's posts Have or had nothing to do with the topic.. he just LOVES TO POST his personal attacks and stir the pot to get me "started" and thus the thread off topic and then closing an interesting topic that he does not like or want to talk about..... so I'm done reading or replying to his BS... and will add him to my ignore list.... so don't look for replies to his posts from me ..

He always posts the same things and I think most here now know my positions and my side of his attacks.. and will understand me not replying to him as well as some others I no longer respond to.......
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/06 12:46:46
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 12:49:06 (permalink)
    You have told us before that you feed deer right up until a month before season starts and you have posted many photos over the years of deer on your feed at different times of the year. You were also supporting making baiting deer legal so you could get them to come off that posted property and you stated that. You must think we have a short memory.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 12:59:10 (permalink)
    Look Doc trouser trout and S-10 I just put up a post about a good time and workout NOTHING ELSE!!!! Not to start a PEEING match period between you two!!!!! Dardy's I was not complaining about cost or action the price, more than fair and without a dog I didn't expect much either. A fair amount of the birds found dead were within a 20 yard area where there is parking in the field. They just got tossed out in the field. Some was like you stated lost,wounded throughout the fields. Dave
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 13:00:26 (permalink)
    Yeah Doc, All I do is make up things. Your the one who always tells it like it is. Just like this post on this site. DOC QUOTE: The ones I feed to "fatten up " and that visit here daily so I can take pics to share are usually the ones I do harvest .. at least one the adults ones ..while hunting here...Clear Creek requires some scouting.

It's sort of like the farmer raising beef then slaughtering it for food for the winter....
    only I do not have to do all the cleaning, feeding, vet visits, etc

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 13:10:52 (permalink)
    To get back on topic, If you are going to raise bird dogs and keep them in shape there is very little option other than to do some perserve hunting. The birds hold and fly the same or better than the few the PGC stocks, it extends your hunting season, and helps to justify the cost of keeping the dogs. It is no more expensive than a walleye charter on lake Erie, or a family trip to a pro ball game. It's all in how you want to spend your free time.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 13:22:43 (permalink)
    Why bash others for something that is legal and they have the funds to do Doc ?????

You might want to give out this PGC pamphlet at your club.
    They seem to think it's a bad idea.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/715657/winter_feeding_pdf_%282%29?qid=53397260&rank=1
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/01/06 13:33:53

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 13:33:54 (permalink)
    where did I bash anyone... I do not recall every putting someone down for hunting preserves...
    I have always said to each his own... and I just had no interest in it..

I'm sure Dars realized some of what I said was in fun (satire).. thus the SMILEY faces from both of us.. you're just to quick to read negative stuff into anything I post and usually never have anything to add to a hunting topic until I post something ...and then it's usually negative directed at me... check out your profile and past hunting posts and see just how true that is
    you may be surprised..

If I had or want to spend the money I'd probably hunt a preserve.. right now I do not think spending 1,000+ dollars for a trophy bucks is worth it.. but I also do not have the $1,000 to IMHO waste... if I hit the lottery... I can see me on a "canned hunt"" real quick...

BTW.. as for the pamphlet you mentioned in your edit .. I think everyone at the club already has one of them that I handed out LAST YEAR and I put over a hundred at the store for folks to take home LAST YEAR !!! ... NICE TRY !!!!
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/06 13:38:46
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 13:43:28 (permalink)
    Just trying to keep you straight you change your story so much it's hard to follow.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/06 14:30:54 (permalink)
    Guys, take it somewhere else.

If you wanna pee all over each other, do it under your own roof.  Not this one.

Ironhed
    post edited by Ironhed - 2011/01/06 14:34:49

Blacktop Charters
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/07 09:33:46 (permalink)
    "Dardy's I was not complaining about cost or action the price, more than fair and without a dog I didn't expect much either. A fair amount of the birds found dead were within a 20 yard area where there is parking in the field. They just got tossed out in the field. Some was like you stated lost,wounded throughout the fields. Dave"

Dave,

I didn't think you were complaining.  Sorry if I came across that way.

I have heard a lot of preserve horror stories, like dead birds , etc. and found that most were "fly by night" operations that took advantage of some cover and some birds without regard for quality of the experience.  I wanted to point out that at the pricing you paid, the experience was not indicative of that which is falls within the normal going price range.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/01/07 09:34:28

BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/07 14:47:30 (permalink)
    All good Dardys. BTW the pics on other post are AWESOME looked like a GREAT hunt!!!! I haven't hunted over dogs for 30 years or so. I have became the DOG LOL but it will get you into shape fighting through the nasty, and get ya some bloody hands and ears OUCH!!! Dave
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/07 20:23:46 (permalink)
    It’s too bad you are so far from Elk County. We have some of the best pheasant habitat and hunting in this part of the state right here on our Elk County game lands. We have a very active Pheasants Forever Chapter that puts a lot of effort and money into habitat and has one of the most successful Mentored Youth Pheasant Hunts in the state every fall. If you were closer we could get you all the kids you could handle to hunt over your dogs.

If you ever get the inclination to take your dogs and head out on a road trip for an Elk County pheasant hunt let me know, I’d be happy to show you the hot spots.

Great looking dogs by the way!

I plan to try my hand at training a pointing dog when I retire. I just don’t have the time until then.
     R.S. Bodenhorn  
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Pheasant hunt 2011/01/07 21:51:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

No bragging Doc.  It probably cost me less to belong to my club and get to extend my season to 6 months than it did you to buy trail cams, corn, and a crossbow to not get a deer.

It definately costs me less than three days of tarpon fishing in the Keys.

It's obvious that you dig bird hunting. You train your own dogs, I bet and spend a lot of time in pursuit of the sport. I personally would not pay that to hunt pheasants, tho I'd happily hunt them for free. But I dont begrudge you because, if you want quality pheasant hunting on PA, this is what it has come to. The sad part is that pheasant hunting in this state has deterioriated to the point where this is what you HAVE to do to have a quality hunt.

DarDys, you need to go to South Dakota!
    Jump to: