Last Hunt of 2010

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/06 16:03:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: World Famous

Was the sucker an extra cost?or was it part of the package to hunt for the day? Also, What type of additional training do the dogs need?....WF

The sucker was intentionally stocked there by Dardys and Silverkype. They wanted me to shoot it so they'd have more ammo for sucker jokes. They've been running out of jokes lately.

The dogs didn't need any additional training. Dardys's dogs are just that good. They not only won some championships in bird hunting this year, they are also award winning sucker dogs.
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/06 16:59:21 (permalink)
very nice dude. take my dad on a bird hunt every year.  it is a ball.  we go the first monday after deer season.  they close down for firearms deer, so we get to be the first guys hitting it in a while, and we always get a lot of birds.  love the pic of the 2 dogs as well man. very nice!
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/06 18:37:30 (permalink)
Nice pics guys!

I always had a blast when I got the opportunity to hunt pheasants!
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/06 22:49:35 (permalink)
I shot my first pheasant about 1953 and continued to hunt them until about 1990 and then the wild birds were gone in my area and I hung up the shotgun.In the 60's and 70's there were so many birds that we would limit out everyday for the first two weeks on days out.We hunted them with Beagles as the dog did double duty on birds and rabbits,two hunters as standers at end of cover and two or three as drivers with the dogs.There were times when the action was fast and furious.Sadly as I mentioned earlier it's all gone now,and will never return to what it was.
By the way,from what I see in those pictures that is a real nice looking preserve.I'm curious if any of those birds manage to live thru to the breeding season and breed?
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/07 08:59:15 (permalink)
My experience and time frame mirrors yours except we never had many wild birds in the Northern tier. The PGC stocked a lot and supplied our club with several hundred chicks each year which we raised and released. I could kill a dozen or more each year within sight of my house in the 70's. I hunted them with beagles, pointers, and flushers up until the late 80's when I switched to hunting turkeys seriously. Killed my first pheasant in 1954.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/07 10:08:33 (permalink)
I'll try to addess most comments.

With regard to the sucker -- it was not intentionally stocked as the Drake would like you to believe.  It was a wild field bred sucker, you could tell by the diameter of its lips.  The Drake is too humble to admit that he cannot only catch suckers with great ease, he can shoot them as well.  He is just some sort of mystical sucker magnet.  He doesn't need stocked suckers in order to be successful.  Besides, Silver and I would never stoop so low as to pull such a ruse on him.  There are so many untapped sucker jokes out there that we really don't need to obtain more via artifcial means.  Since it was a wild or at least liberated sucker, there was no additional cost.

There is a great deal of additional training needed to get the dogs to work suckers.  The hardest part is getting them to hold in cover during training.  For some reason they always try to get to a nearby stream.  They are really difficult to point in the water and the dogs have not been able to master that.  Yet.

As for pafisher's and S-10's small game experience, mine was somewhat similar.  We hunted bunnies with beagles, but always found phesants.  I would ike to have a dollar for every time I was up on stump to get a better view while the dogs were circling a rabbit and saw a pheasant trying to sneak by.  I really wanted a bird dog back then, but my Dad, a product of the depression when subsistance hunting was the norm, couldn't see why we would feed a dog all year when the limit was two on phesants and the limit on rabbits was 4, besides having a late rabbit season to hunt when pheasants were out.

I'm glad that some of you enjoyed the photos.  I was sorting through some from last year (2010) and thought I might have a few more that you would like.  Some are preserve photos, some are game lands photos.  I'll start a new thread.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/07 14:45:43 (permalink)
DarDys, thanks for clarification on the sucker. Had I looked much more closely, I believe I would have noticed the thickness of the lips and not asked such a foolish question. Now I also know to take TheDrake's comments with a grain of salt...WF
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/07 15:38:43 (permalink)
Darby,I am curious if any of those birds live thru the season and manage to breed in that area.Here in SE Penna the state stocks lots of birds on the gamelands,where there is still a lot of cover,but next to none manage to make it thru to breed as they are too stupid to evade the hawks,owls,fox,etc.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/10 08:27:16 (permalink)
pa,

Whether stocked birds, PGC or from a preserve make it over winter and breed in the spring is very dependant on habitat.  There is a swap area about 2 miles form my house that was last stocked in the early 80's and there is a thriving population of pheasants there -- to the point that some times they get over populated to where I have them across from the house (althoug it has been a while).  Friends of mine that live near a PGC stocking area typically see them at their bird feeder in the winter, so I imagine some of those make it over winter.

The preserve that I guide was intentionally set up for the birds to survive over winter.  Food plots, cover plots, and sanctuary plots are all built into the planned layout.  There is another preserve about a mile or so away and the supplier that they buy their birds from clip the beaks (it keeps them from pecking each other to death in close quarter pens, which our supplier doesn't use).  About 10 -15 percent of the birds harvested have clipped beaks.  That woud indicate that they are leaving the other preserve to come to the food and cover plots.

A club that I belong to doesn't have a great deal of food plots and I doubt that many birds make it over winter.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/10 10:25:33 (permalink)
Some of the birds the PGC stock around here make it thru to the next summer too... not sure if there is any breeding going on though ...

one guy with a couple small "fields" has three males and two females at his bird feeders now and he allows hunting so the PGC does release some birds there..

another adjourning farm usually has a couple running around their front yard every year after the season and into the next summer too ... this is where I often get the photos of the pheasants along the road...

I do not think I have every seen any "hold-overs" at the "carrier fields" on SGL#54 where the majority get released every year...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/10 10:27:50
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/11 01:21:51 (permalink)
Here in Ct you gotta buy your lousy 10 pheasant tags and if your not in a club you hunt on regulated state property (clubbers shoot all they want on thier property plus the 10). The state stopped doing pheasant stocking years ago and they have Volunteer club guys do it.
The last time I went was the last time. Years ago when they first started the NEW program I got to the meadows to find a club had stocked it the same day. I found out cause all the club guys were there ahead of me. One actually knew how many had been stocked there and how many he and his guys had shot. He had the nerve to brag that he and the Clubbers were going back to their private place cause there were only a couple of birds left on the large acreage of swamp lands.. I cut up my tags- threw them in a trash barrel -gave my dogs the bad news and quit pheasants-for life.
I wouldnt join one of those game clubs if it was the only legal way left to hunt- from a guy who prides himself as a law abiding lifetime hunter. These hogs take the cake( along with the idiots in the state DEP who designed the system to save some money)
  Beware you may be next---How much "leased" property are you seeing
post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/11 01:40:35
Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Last Hunt of 2010 2011/01/11 09:01:52 (permalink)
Hmmm.

Cabin fever already?

Great pics DarDys, love watching dogs work. I"m on my 2nd weimaraner.. First one was a dream dog, current one is an overgrown lap dog. Thanks for sharing.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: