dear treestand theif

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/03 16:45:45 (permalink)

dear treestand theif

I'm writing this on the off chance that you can read and that you read this forum, though I doubt either is the case. I sincerely hope that when you attempt to use the bottom section of the ladder stand you stole from me, that it slips and you fall and break major bones in your body, hopefully resulting in paralysis, but I dont this too likely because as you undoubedly found out, the stand was very old and the piece you pilfered probably wouldn't match anything made recently. I know you aren't a local because you took only the part you could get easily. It was a crime of opportunity. I should tell you that, in my experience, karma has a way of evening the score on these matters so, even though I'll probably never get to meet you in person (pity), I do take solace in that fact. As I said, I'm a local and I know most of the other locals and I dont believe you are local. I strongly advise you not to come hunting in this area again. Myself and other locals will be watching things a bit closer now so I wouldn't want to be caught walking thru the woods here with a treestand or piece of one that wasn't mine. You know who I am, since my name and address was on the part of the stand you were too weak or stupid to get off the tree. I do not know who you are. Yet. I think it would be in your best interest to, as you put your head on the louse infested pillow to go to sleep tonight, pray to whatever third rate trickster serves as your deity, that you and I never meet face to face.

28 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 17:22:16 (permalink)
    Bummer.  There are folks doing this that have no intention of using them.  They just don't like the sport that you do and see it as doing their part to prevent it or some punk kid with nothing better to do.  You ladder is probably thrown over some hill. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 17:29:51 (permalink)
    It's highly unlikely that it will be useful since the stand was so old. I dont think I can replace it either. The SOB bent the next section getting the bottom piece off. But, he took the clip on pins so I think he's gonna try and use it.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 18:19:10 (permalink)
    I sure know how you feel. Lost 2 good ones. I now use cheap ones. I even put posters up with rewards but nothing came of it.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 18:48:14 (permalink)
    It definately sucks, but anymore it is very common down here for stands to end up missing. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I will be losing at least one stand every year.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 19:57:22 (permalink)
    I have my CID number stamped into each section of my ladder stands, my deer carts, all of the other stands I might use and my trail cameras. That way if anyone steals them and I ever find them being used or in someone else’s possession they are going to be getting arrested for either theft or receiving stolen property.

I suggest that everyone put their CID number on their equipment, including their traps. That way if we encounter a hunter or trapper with items that don’t match their CID number we can figure out real quick whose property they have and perhaps bring a thief to justice.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 20:01:37 (permalink)
    Good suggestion, I put my name on mine but that would be better.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 20:12:17 (permalink)
    Have you ever wanted to tie a bunch of helium balloons to someones ankle and set them adrift naked?

Randy Peters broke into my house about 15 years ago and stole one of my Uzi's
    A couple days later he was run over

Karma might of got him but I still dream up things to do to him one day

sstuffy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 20:32:09 (permalink)
    i had someone steal the steps to my treestand a few years ago and then they attempted to shoot the chain off of the treestand and they never did hit the chain why they just didnt use bolt cutters on the chain but the funny thing is they spent more money on the rifle shells they used to shoot at it than the treestand was actually worth gotta love stupid criminals lol
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/03 21:35:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Have you ever wanted to tie a bunch of helium balloons to someones ankle and set them adrift naked?

I know EXACTLY how you feel!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: dear tree stand theif 2011/01/03 23:06:01 (permalink)
    Stamping numbers and so is a waste of time. Thieves easily remove them . Your best bet is your trail camera and they don't know it's there.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/04 00:55:08 (permalink)
    Stories like this make it difficult to see the good in people...

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear tree stand theif 2011/01/04 16:48:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Stamping numbers and so is a waste of time. Thieves easily remove them . Your best bet is your trail camera and they don't know it's there.

I thought about that. I agree that stamping the parts of the stand probably wont help. What do you think the chances are that the trailcam will give me a picture that would help? I feel like I might get a picture of some stranger stealing my stand.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/04 16:49:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

You got that right!
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/04 17:22:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

You got that right!

DD,
    There are only two good people in this world...my mom and your mom.

Sorry to hear about the stand.  I hope you nail the ****!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/04 18:23:24 (permalink)
    I put the rest of it out with the trash tonight. The thief bent the crap outta the second ladder section trying to pull the first section off. Anything that was cable locked or required a wrench to remove was left. So, I had to go back to the house to get my step ladder to get the rest of the stand out of the tree. The sad thing is, I seriously doubt he had a practical use for the section he took (not that it would have made theft any better). I dont think he was helping himself as much as maliciously hurting me. That really bothers me.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/04 18:24:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ironhed

You got that right!

DD,
    There are only two good people in this world...my mom and your mom.

Sorry to hear about the stand.  I hope you nail the ****!

Ironhed

I'm not sure about my mom either!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/05 02:26:47 (permalink)
    Sounds like you might of made some enemies along the way. Do you serve the public in any way? Just curious. Hope you catch them.

I put the rest of it out with the trash tonight. The thief bent the crap outta the second ladder section trying to pull the first section off. Anything that was cable locked or required a wrench to remove was left. So, I had to go back to the house to get my step ladder to get the rest of the stand out of the tree. The sad thing is, I seriously doubt he had a practical use for the section he took (not that it would have made theft any better). I dont think he was helping himself as much as maliciously hurting me. That really bothers me.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/05 09:58:32 (permalink)
    How close is the nearest "scrap metal" dealer... ??

This summer two camps (that I know of) were broke into.. TVs, disc players, booze, small change, micro waves, pictures, and other items that one would think would be stolen were left... what was stolen...

the aluminum storm door from one camp and the --- get ready for this-=

the hot water tank from the other....
    fishinmike31
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/05 11:09:45 (permalink)
    Same thing happened to my friend  he bought a new ladder stand chain and locked it to the tree and it came up missing chain and all...that why i refuse to buy one i make mine from wood heavy as hell..might be a little bit of a pain getting them in the woods putting them up but have fun getting it out when it all screwed together with 3 in screws...found one partially drug out of woods once  i just laughed they didnt get far at all put the stand back up and hunt out of it till this day  lol 
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/05 11:17:20 (permalink)
    Danes,I feel for you. I've had a ladder stand,a camera,a a sky dripper,borrowed by a thug.Do you know how many stands,cams,ground blinds I've walked by,and I've never taken anything? That the differents between a hunter and a thug!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/05 14:06:50 (permalink)
    I've never had a stand stolen, but have some buddies who had theirs taken. One of them had a two-person ladder stand stolen. A week after it was taken, the theif tried to sell it to another friend of ours. As soon as he found out my friend who owned the stand, called the guy, told him that he was leaving for work in a hour, and the treestand better be setting in his driveway by the time he got back or there would be trouble. The stand was in the driveway when he got home.

Another friend had the cables taken off his summit climber this fall. The stand was locked to the tree with a bicycle lock, so the cables were all the thief could take. I guess he figured that if he couldn't take the stand, he was at least going to ruin it for the owner.

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/05 14:54:16 (permalink)
    I got so tired of loosing stands due to ignorant people stealing them, I went and bought a climber and now that is all I use...I was tired of donating my time and money so that some arsehole could steal it..even with locks, nametags, etc...didn't seem to matter...

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/06 00:58:43 (permalink)
    When I used to hunt,quit a few years ago,I used a great climbing tree stand.The only way they could steal that is to break in my house,and that would be a fatal mistake for them.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/07 21:36:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

Danes,I feel for you. I've had a ladder stand,a camera,a a sky dripper,borrowed by a thug.Do you know how many stands,cams,ground blinds I've walked by,and I've never taken anything? That the differents between a hunter and a thug!

I walk past 50 stands, blinds and cameras every year, or more, and it never even occurs to me to steal them. Sometimes I think "Wow, that's a good spot for a stand", but that's about it. I dont have any desire to jam somebody else that way.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear tree stand thief 2011/01/07 21:37:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

I've never had a stand stolen, but have some buddies who had theirs taken. One of them had a two-person ladder stand stolen. A week after it was taken, the theif tried to sell it to another friend of ours. As soon as he found out my friend who owned the stand, called the guy, told him that he was leaving for work in a hour, and the treestand better be setting in his driveway by the time he got back or there would be trouble. The stand was in the driveway when he got home.

Another friend had the cables taken off his summit climber this fall. The stand was locked to the tree with a bicycle lock, so the cables were all the thief could take. I guess he figured that if he couldn't take the stand, he was at least going to ruin it for the owner.

That is what happened with my stand.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/07 21:58:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

I know EXACTLY how you feel!

I don't want him taking a nice leisurely drift over the countryside.
    Violently bouncing off tall buildings with video on youtube

ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/08 20:29:56 (permalink)
    What we need is a thing i call humble day.One day a month we could take care of business called accountability.Believe me,in less than a year things could return back to normal somewhat.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: dear treestand theif 2011/01/09 22:53:16 (permalink)
    That would assume that everybody is honest and honorable. This is far from the case. If everyone were accountable, there would be no karma.
    Jump to: