Did bay ice survive the rain?

Author
imrinc
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/01 18:13:49 (permalink)

Did bay ice survive the rain?

Anybody along the bayfront this afternoon? If the ice holds, its turning cold again, then real cold weather is forecast for the second and third week of January.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43765/severe-arctic-outbreak-forecas.asp

If I'm not mistaken, last year was like this, we had early ice, although not as good as this years early ice, then we had a very rainy weekend early in January and lost it, but then it got cold and we had about 7 or 8 weeks of great ice.

North Platte Bum

8 Replies Related Threads

Imposter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/01 20:57:29 (permalink)
    Well I took a tour of the ice on presquile and at the foot of Chestnut.The ice at the foot of Chestnut was still ok at the shore line.Walked out about 40 yards and it appeared to have weathered the storm.All ice around Dobbins Landing looked ok except were the Scuba Team was practicing ice rescue.On presquile side there was open water off both of the 1st two parking lots.Misery Bay and Horse shoe appeared to be ok and had a couple guys fishing on them.I checked these out at approx. 3 pm.Has still been well above freezing since so conditions may have changed.Be careful if you go out on the ice,Nice colds temps are on the way and will tighten things up for us ice fisherman.
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/02 12:32:29 (permalink)
      First parking lot, 2nd lot, stink hole,  OPEN WATER / misery bay, half ice half open / Houseboats / open around the channel and the 2 closest houses..  B -KARE- FULL   NW/

Fish On !!!
    Imposter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/02 12:37:59 (permalink)
    OK ....here is an update..What a difference 13 hours makes.Bay ice is JUNK.....Open water everywere..Misery Bay and Horseshoe still have ice and may be fishable in a week or so with continued cold temps...Off Chestnut and Convention Center there is ice ....However there are small spots of open water here and there.I knew it was to good to be true..Ice Fishing in December....
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/02 17:40:09 (permalink)
    Has anybody been to Manning or Tuttle after the rains....
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/02 18:19:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-MAC

Has anybody been to Manning or Tuttle after the rains....
      D-man ,  Readin my mind.. went there 2 see @ 3:00  2day.. there were about 10 shanties out off tuttle..  Not out as far as usuall, but they were there..        NW/

Fish On !!!
    The Alaskan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/03 19:19:16 (permalink)
    Hello fellow fishermen and women,
    did a survey today, yep head to stink hole and beyond, open water. Misery should be good this weekend as long as it stays cold like they say, had a little open water but not still have ice, horseshoe open at channel, couple questionable spots along shore and and couple of the house boats, should tighten up by weekend as well. Went to the marina, and tight, but some watchful cracks, walked out about 30 yards ( this is off the head area where the ice rescue beam is), never fished there so do not know how deep there, i saw a row of holes that someone had drilled in the past and frozen shanty marks, two weeks ago i saw two shanties there, is it very deep? blue gill, steelies what back in there?, Checked off of chestnut, there was on shanty in the basin over by cherry street break wall and 50 yards up from the run down boat docks. They are calling for cold nights all week so where we do have ice should tighten up and be good by weekend.
    the alaskan
    hookem' and cookem'
    canoemale
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/06 15:56:42 (permalink)
    Please keep us posted on the ice. It seems that the bay itself has a few days to go before anyone can safely venture anywhere on Presque Isle to ice fish anywhere they'd like. Didn't see anyone out there today (January 6). I wouldn't try the bay at all this weekend. Maybe just Misery Bay and Horseshoe Pond (at best).

Bassman
    The Alaskan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Did bay ice survive the rain? 2011/01/06 20:25:02 (permalink)
    Hello fellow fishermen and women, i would stay on Misery or Horseshoe Pond. It will take a least another week to go on the bay safely or hit the inland lakes, but being the snow belt they are going to hit snow fall.
    Good freezing temps for the next week!!!! Yes bring on the hard water till middle of March!!!!
    keep the lines tight
    hookem' and coomkem'
    the alaskan
    Jump to: