Project Healing Waters

Author
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/30 19:42:51 (permalink)

Project Healing Waters

I just learned of a great project that maybe some on here have heard of. It is called Project Healing Waters. It is a program designed to help veterans with disabilities.

"Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, Inc. is dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and veterans through fly fishing and fly tying education and outings." from their website...

Here is a link to their website: http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/index.html

I know the guys on this site have helped a variety of people and that maybe some here would like to help out our veterans who are having problems. From the sounds of it, this seems like a small way to not only say thank you to the men and women who have served, but also to help them return back to a life they left behind.

Thanks for checking this out and I hope that maybe our community here could do something for these folks who have so bravely served us.

pax vobiscum +

8 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2010/12/31 16:06:47 (permalink)
    bump

pax vobiscum +
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/01 17:59:14 (permalink)
    Sept-Oct 1984 found me laid up in a bed at the naval hospital. All I could think about--besides the likelihood of shortly standing before God--was getting home to Erie to fish. When I was sent home on convalescent leave I could still barely walk, was unable to wade the streams, but just being near the water, and being driven by a good friend into the woods to shoot had an incredible healing effect. 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/01 19:24:02 (permalink)
    Project healing waters is a great program. Unfortunatley, in my area it's hosted by the Spring Ridge Club. I've always wondered how many more volunteers and how much more attention the program could get if it wasn't hosted by a club that has such a bad name.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/02 09:44:04 (permalink)
    thedrake,

I am really sorry to hear that. I am sure there are ways of helping the program that does not involve Spring Ridge. Of course, you can look on the bright side. The vets are being helped, even if that means the people who are helping them don't share the same values when it comes to fishing as we do. Also, since Spring Ridge is a club for the rich, maybe they will be able to donate more to the program than we regular folks can. Much is expected of those who have the most....

pax vobiscum +
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/02 13:56:57 (permalink)
    Here is the responce i got from contacting them:
    Hello Robert and Happy New Year

I heard from Jim Scheld about your interest in helping out Project Healing Waters. We have an active program in Pittsburgh. Please call Terry Mulvihill at 412-848-9396 Terry is our Program Lead for that region. Should you need my help in any other way my number is 716 549 1977
      Cheers Ray Markiewicz Northeast Coordinator

Thanks,Bug
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/03 12:59:47 (permalink)
    Terry is a great guy and coordinates outings monthly as weather permits. A couple other guys go along and help with tying flies on to the line, fish wrangling, serving lunch, and some of the other foot work required to make events like that happen.

Very good group of guys.

smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/03 15:46:05 (permalink)
    I helped with a group of Vets who came to Elizabeth last year to fish, I'm not sure if was that same group but the Vets who came had a great time.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Project Healing Waters 2011/01/10 18:35:37 (permalink)
    A very good thing indeed. My therapy was a 1954 pahead.

Jump to: