Three rods in Pa.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 09:36:47 (permalink)
If I get to the trout pond early with my three grandchildren does that mean I'll(excuse me), I mean "we" will be able to use 12 rods and that may take up to five "rods" of space. I better not tell them! Sometimes I have trouble handling two rods in holders and one grandchild with a cane pole.

In all seriousness there are applications for using three rods and at times I'd wished I could do it. Two rods set for cats or carp and one for throwing plugs or spoons. Trolling the river by myself I'd love to have a third rod to use to try a different tactic. Each person will eventually find what will work for them in different situations and fall into a pattern of their preference. Most times it's one rod for me as I traverse a river or stream on foot. 

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 13:07:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bogeyjoker

ORIGINAL: killdeer19

ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

I'm a charter captain and I can't see how three rods would help on a charter trip. With 4 customers on my boat I can run 12 rods now and with 6 customers I can run 16 rods. 12 is a nice spread and i don't think I would run 18 with 4 customers or 24 rods with 6 customers.

maybe I'm missing something... How can you run 12 rods with 4 customers? 4 customers x 2 rods/person = 8 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 10 max),not 14; OR 6 customers x 2 rods/person = 12 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 14 max), not 16.

The captain and first mate can run 2 rods each. Charters won't really benefit from this regulation change...they've got their spreads covered without it.

On the dozens of charters I've been on, neither the captain or the first mate ever had rods in the water. The 6 of us had 12 rods spread.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 14:58:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Riverbum

I'm a charter captain and I can't see how three rods would help on a charter trip. With 4 customers on my boat I can run 12 rods now and with 6 customers I can run 16 rods. 12 is a nice spread and i don't think I would run 18 with 4 customers or 24 rods with 6 customers.

maybe I'm missing something... How can you run 12 rods with 4 customers? 4 customers x 2 rods/person = 8 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 10 max),not 14; OR 6 customers x 2 rods/person = 12 rods total (plus your 2 rods would be 14 max), not 16.

The captain and first mate can run 2 rods each. Charters won't really benefit from this regulation change...they've got their spreads covered without it.

On the dozens of charters I've been on, neither the captain or the first mate ever had rods in the water. The 6 of us had 12 rods spread.

I was on a walleye charters out of Port Clinton, OH and the captain caught more than us. The captain put rods in the holder on the fron railing, while the 4 of that paid, fished with one rod each in the back
Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 16:16:55 (permalink)
something seriously wrong with that scenario...even if the capt has rods out you'd think his clients would get the action

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 16:23:58 (permalink)
this charter company has several boats, and the captain of our boat was in mid 20's. Time is money with those charters so they want to limit out ASAP. It was first and last trip with them

Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 16:34:58 (permalink)
I hear ya...though I consider it a crime for the capt or crew to catch fish and count the take against your limit...you'll have to charter with bomber charters some time.  

No offense to any other charter capt's out there!

~by Henry David Thoreau~

Bogeyjoker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1704
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 16:46:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

With 6 people on the charter, it would certainly make sense that the captain wouldn't use theirs or their mate's rod allowance, but if you're fishing 2,3 or 4 people on the charter, then the capt. would probably opt to use their additional rods. We never had more than 4 people on any of the charters we used to go on, and the captain always used either a 10 or 12 rod spread.

**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 18:48:36 (permalink)
1 extra rod per person isnt going to kill/hurt anybody. vote it in. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/06 20:06:47 (permalink)
[

With 6 people on the charter, it would certainly make sense that the captain wouldn't use theirs or their mate's rod allowance, but if you're fishing 2,3 or 4 people on the charter, then the capt. would probably opt to use their additional rods. We never had more than 4 people on any of the charters we used to go on, and the captain always used either a 10 or 12 rod spread.

tru dat...got off topic...vote it in...git 'er done...

~by Henry David Thoreau~

Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/07 00:02:09 (permalink)
Thanks Bogey for explaining my comment. I haven't been on to answer to the replies.

Again no benefit for us charter captains, but yes is my vote. Bomber (Timmy) is a good guy and my boat is at his dock. Customers get all the action when fishing with any of the captains I know.
Riverbum
Expert Angler
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/07 07:18:10 (permalink)
That's how I would hope all would be. PSU must have just had a poor experience. Capt Small does it right.

~by Henry David Thoreau~

killdeer19
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 654
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/07 08:21:28 (permalink)

I see. I figured in the capt's rods, but forgot about the first mate's.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Three rods in Pa. 2011/01/10 18:18:25 (permalink)
may as well bring back the spider hooks and start slinging lead again jus sayin. hahahahaha really who cares you can't please everyone and someone always has a gripe. so let it go and see what happens. btw. if you have enough time to stop and watch someone whos fishing preference upsets you then maybe you aren't really fishing. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: