Ice Fishing Lake Erie

Author
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/28 12:18:24 (permalink)

Ice Fishing Lake Erie

Okay i have heard mixed opinions on this,  Can you go out and ice fish the big lake?  I know most ppl go to erie to fish in the bay but i would like to try to catch some walleye.  I read about the ppl who had to be rescued last year in ohio but they said that the weather ppl said there would a chance of moving ice due to a warm up.  Erie is a good drive for me from pittsburgh and i kinda dont want to drive up there for blue gill and crappie.  I would apriciate any advice on this subject
thanks and good luck

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING

16 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 12:49:24 (permalink)
    Wind causes ice dunes
    Fish the bay or a different lake

sealegs2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 12:58:29 (permalink)
    I don't personally know anyone that targets walleye off of Erie through the ice. It's not that it can't be done but most years the lake freezes unevenly creating ice dunes on the lake.With dunes you can have very dangerous conditions because the ice can be less than an inch to four feet thick.

Most people target steelhead off of Trout run, Godfry Run, Walnut and Elk Creek.
    This is generally fishing over water that is pretty shallow from one to maybe five feet. On some occasions when the lake freezes flat we have ventured out to depths of thirty plus feet but that is an uncommon year. We also fish the Walnut boat basin and the channel to the lake.

If I were to target walleyes I would target the areas where they first appear in the springtime.

Currently the lake is ice free
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 13:30:41 (permalink)
    well thanks for the information and i have heard about the dunes so do they get the same dunes down in the western basin.  i really want to get into some good eye fishing this ice season, dont get me wrong i love a bucket full of crappies, gills, and perch but some eyes would be great

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 13:45:26 (permalink)
    I know some people fish off over by hammermill when its later in the year. They usually do pretty well on perch but use caution.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 14:32:59 (permalink)
    some walleye through the ice isn't worth your life. sounds like you should seek someone who's experienced with erie ice like sealegs before you go out on it (if you go out on it)... just my opinion...
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 15:15:11 (permalink)
    Ice fish Pymatuning if you want to fish for eyes....
    I would be afraid to go out there, and you should too!!!!!!!
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 15:36:03 (permalink)
    i fish pymi all the time my grandfater lives up right by the lake and i catch a fair amount of eye and big crappies through the ice.  I guess i was hoping that the chance would present itself for me to land some big erie eyes but you guys are right it is not worth my life.  thanks for all the advice and hopefully i will see you guys on pymi or on the bay
    be safe and good luck

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 16:09:11 (permalink)
    You can certainly fish Lake Erie for walleye through the ice. The western basin and around put-in-bay/islands is the place to do so. There are some reputable ice-guides in that area who start their trips around mid Jan typically according to safe ice. The good guides will transport you out in airboats and stay with you the full day as well. With the way this winter is going, I'm booking a trip with some friends myself. Looking forward to giving it a try!

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 22:08:53 (permalink)

Ice Fishing Monster Lake Erie Walleye-Fishing ... 9 min - Feb 23, 2010Uploaded by OhioOutdoorsman19youtube.com

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/28 22:55:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

You can certainly fish Lake Erie for walleye through the ice. The western basin and around put-in-bay/islands is the place to do so. There are some reputable ice-guides in that area who start their trips around mid Jan typically according to safe ice. The good guides will transport you out in airboats and stay with you the full day as well. With the way this winter is going, I'm booking a trip with some friends myself. Looking forward to giving it a try!

Yup. The Charter boat I've been on in Port Clinton, OH offers ice-fishing trips where they will take you out in snowmoblies around the islands
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/29 12:22:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I be home in a week and a half let me know I have been looking at booking a trip as well!
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/29 17:25:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyeassassin

Okay i have heard mixed opinions on this,  Can you go out and ice fish the big lake?  I know most ppl go to erie to fish in the bay but i would like to try to catch some walleye.  I read about the ppl who had to be rescued last year in ohio but they said that the weather ppl said there would a chance of moving ice due to a warm up.  Erie is a good drive for me from pittsburgh and i kinda dont want to drive up there for blue gill and crappie.  I would apriciate any advice on this subject
    thanks and good luck

Guided in Western Ohio--yes.

Anywhere in Erie--no. never. do not do it. The ice shifts way to much out here. We do not get a nice flat level surface--we get more of a moon scape with hills craters and gaps.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/29 17:28:58 (permalink)
    Only a very few have made it across by sled in these parts.
    IMHO fish at the supermarket is a better deal.

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/29 17:38:10 (permalink)
    right and i am going to make a trip to the western basin i just dont know if i am going to use a guide or not.  i have talked to a good many ppl so far and most say that you dont have to have one and really the only benifit of using a guide is the airboat.  some ppl have said you can stay right on put in bay and walleye fish right around the island and catch fish.  i have called a couple guides and some have alright prices and some are way to high.  so it is still up in the air.  i know i will be going sometime around the end of jan begining of Feb

nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2010/12/30 07:09:25 (permalink)
    Last year I was fishin closer to the main channel in the bay.. And yes I did see a couple eyes on the camera.. don't know if it was a fluke thing or if some actually make that area home all year.?? After this warm-up I would like to get back out to the channel again..  NW/

Fish On !!!
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Ice Fishing Lake Erie 2011/01/06 16:44:19 (permalink)
    yeah theres some in the channel in spring and fall. its worth trying if you make sure its safe! remember ice breakers come through and it makes it very unstable but when it becomes thick enough give it a try. I use cicada's in chrome for them when I try only caught a few, just use caution!
    Jump to: