coldest day you ever fished?

Author
3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/14 19:15:09 (permalink)

coldest day you ever fished?

Once about 16 years or so ago I dragged the wife and a buddy up to the river, mid january the wife and I were married 1 month maybe. It was -17 out the wife stayed in the truck and my buddy and I walked down to the river with a small Mr. heater and would make a couple casts and walk back to the heater clear out the eyelids and walk back out for a couple casts, Ill bet we lasted an hour maybe a little longer, 2 hook ups one a piece and nothing landed. If I remember right we were useing blue with red salmon river fleas fish with noodle rods. Looking at the weather for our area its gonna be that cold for a while longer.

10 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/15 00:22:28 (permalink)
    Yes it'll be cold for 3 months and then when it warms up I'll be out again,anything below 30 and I'm by the fire like retired:)
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/15 10:05:48 (permalink)
    We fished the Great Northern Challenge on Lake Simon (near Tupper Lake) last year and it was -15 (windchill -25) when we got there at 5:30am. About 9am I got a chance to walk around and ran into Wisdom, but none of us had any luck fishing. Two years before that it was 43 degrees with sun in the same tournament.
    Great tournament limited to 1,000 entrants with some great prizes and five 50/50 contests with pots worth over $1,000 each. Also three great fishing trips and two four wheelers as part of the entry fee of only $35 (last year). Cash prizes for largest three pike caught each hour of $500 Largest, $200 2nd Largest and $100 3rd Largest from 9am until 3pm. Other prizes (ten every hour ranging in value from $25 to $250). Contact Tupper Lake Fish and Game Club for entries. Usually held the Saturday before the Super Bowl.

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2010/12/15 10:07:38
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/15 21:48:39 (permalink)
    had a -15 morning 2 february's ago which warmed to 22 surprisingly; it felt like a heat wave... i'm sure there have been many others but for many years i never even checked the temp, i'd be out the door no matter what. btw, the coldest actual temp days i've ever experienced were sunny without a cloud in the sky. had a few single digits as the high this past january... i love it...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/15 21:57:12 (permalink)
    now that i'm thinking about it, the most brutal day was in a january probably around 12 or so years ago where the wind was howling and blowing so hard that it was creating a frozen mist off of the water... that was a tough day to say the least. don't know what the actual temp was but wind chills were in the minus 30's i believe...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/15 23:41:06 (permalink)
      Got there 2 PM. Tues. Snowing, breezy, slippery and 15 degrees. A couple of guys at Altmar bridge and pretty much no one else. Not even Ellis. Looked like the lots were plowed. No slush showing upriver but down looked messy.
       Went out about noon today on the Tropical front--it was 17. Watched guys in  Altmar for about 15 minutes- they were hooking up pretty good for only 15 minutes- Estaz flies mostly on spin gear.  Then went back and closed up the place and left- too darned cold for me....never wet a line.
      10 miles from Pulaski -whiteout. Thruway was 25 to 35 for hours.  Maybe in  mid winter- when it warms up and the weather improves.
       It was the coldest day I NEVER fished
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/12/16 20:19:54
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/16 21:44:25 (permalink)
    I think the single dig. with wind chills below around -10 or -20. Now anything below 35 is total bs except for shaking the shack nasties off a couple times.
    At my work I stay acclimated to heat & I really mind cooler temps. now. I think I had 3 or 4 layers on in Oct. for Steel....

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/16 22:16:15 (permalink)
    i worked in a building the other day all day long that didn't get above 20 inside of it. maybe thats why i can stand the winter steel a little more than others. hey retired, you'll never see slush in altmar no matter how cold it is. maybe we'll get a decent january thaw (which sometimes comes in early feb) and you'll geta shot at some winter steel. theres always spring time though...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/18 16:32:20 (permalink)
    Might be up x-mass week (late) we usually bring up a couple of grandkids who x country ski with my wife for a couple of days.  I cant any more with the Asthma ( came on late in life-real bs) so I take them someplace and come back and fish a bit till pickup time. Thats usually pretty much it till early spring. You guys are really giving me the bug though.

Its neat hearing you all talk about work-do they take WORK out and put in little dots like other swear words?
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/12/18 16:37:09
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/19 12:52:11 (permalink)
    Not sure what the temp was, but here is what happened.  Sportsman's show down in PA, guides showed up with coolers full of big steel.  That was on a Thursday.  Called my friend and we went up on that Sunday.  Cold front came through, and the Black Hole froze up overnight, according to the locals.  I had to stop my truck every few miles, cause the defroster couldn't keep the windshield clear of snow and ice at over 25.  We went down to Oswego and tried for about an hour.  I remember my buddy's minnows getting layers of ice on them like a hailstone.
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: coldest day you ever fished? 2010/12/19 13:16:25 (permalink)
    Great fun subject!,
    To us serious, Frozen choosen,
    -
    One of many of my guest's and my day's best coldest fishing days on the Salmon River, Pulaski N.Y.
    Started out at 5 below.
    (Im getting to old to do these days anymore :)
    I had a special spot in mind due to the recent water flow change.
    We rowed down the river to find where we were the only ones there for the day.
    We spent the entire day playing with no less than 20 Steelhead. (2 anglers, not myself)
    Thankfully there was no wind or snow BUT, all sunshine.
    With a heater on the boat, but most importantly,a TON of Steelies, we all kept warm.
    It never got above 5 deg.
    But, those incredible fish kept us running (adrenilne)- fighting for the net, adreniline and warm sunshine - fun days.
    Best Holiday Fish's,
    To all,
    Randy
    www.yankeeangler.com
    Jump to: